Resound Omnia vs Phonak Lumity

Kindest review of London I have ever heard. :grin:

The region right around Wortley Village was quite nice. Also, some of the parks along the Thames River. I wouldn’t mind living in some of the houses down near where Wortley intercepts Commissioners. Real estate prices are out of sight, though. The Wortley Village area reminded me of some of the suburbs of Pittsburgh, like Squirrel Hill. Pittsburgh has some really tough, nasty areas but there are still great places to live there, as I’m sure there are in most American and Canadian cities.

Yes, my first thought was, “he must have been in Wortley Village.”

Jordan, just wanted to give you some info. … my active vent rec. wires finally came in and while my audi was changing them onto my HA’s I mentioned that you said that your hearing loss wasn’t suitable for the AV’s … he said that was only if your loss was flat straight across down around 100 … I showed him your audiogram from my phone and he said that you were suitable to try them

@Ureout

1 Like

Zebra, he never said that it would be optimal… he said that that he could still try them… I know I’ve worn both and the AV wires are amazingly better

2 Likes

@Louie, a provider, made a comment earlier in this thread that ActiveVents are expensive and need to be changed every six months. Perhaps Louie, another provider, or someone who has used them for a while could actually comment on the likely average yearly cost of using them.

A related question. Can one set the opening size of the ActiveVent as one desired or get them with different open bore sizes?

There is no adjustment to the size of the opening.

The pictures in the linked web page below show the openings around the outside of the receiver, looks like cheese grater screen that the sound comes into and through the middle of the receiver.

Special Features of Phonak Hearing Aids – The Active Vent

WH

I believe the person at Phonak said I wasn’t a good candidate for Activent because I am already wearing heavy double domes so I’m getting the benefit of a somewhat closed fitting. In the open position, Activent would be too open for my loss and there would be too much leakage at the low end. She felt Activent is for people with mild low frequency loss but who struggle in the speech frequency range.

Does this make sense?

Jordan.

I just read the info and watched the Dr Cliff video on the AV rec. wires … great info and I didn’t know that they should be replaced every 6 months … that in itself could be a deal breaked for many… anyone have any idea how much AV wires are??

i have a question… while trialing the Lumity’s and using the phonak TV streamer if I get a text on my Iphone and open up my phone to read the text and then close my phone back off many times I lose the TV Connector + Mic stream and HA’s revert back to Automatic program… Is there a way to stop this without just leaving my Iphone on??

When the Lumity hearing aids are connected to the TV Connector, it is a direct connection and the hearing aids are definitely not routing through the phone. If you receive a text on your phone and you have it setup so that you hear audio alerts via the hearing aids, this alert sound may be temporarily grabbing the audio connection away from the TV Connector so that you can hear the text message alert sound. It should automatically revert back to the TV Connector after a few seconds. If it does’t you may have more than three bluetooth devices on at the same time and it is reconnecting to something else. I am very careful to never leave more than two bluetooth devices on at once and I have had zero issues with bluetooth and Lumity. I suspect this is what causes most of the complaints about bluetooth.

What I do is flip the little switch on the side of my iPhone to mute system sounds and this prevents system sounds from interrupting calls, TV watching, etc.

Jordan

4 Likes

Jordan, thx… I know for sure that I never have more than 2 hooked at once… I also should have said that if i;m streaming TV and I just want to open my iphone and say check my e-mail, or sport scores on a sports app that this also will interupt the stream and yes as you said it sometimes does revert back to the streamer but many times it just goes back to automatic… I have also on occasion lost the connection totally on my iphone and have to get up and press the button on rear of TV streamer to start it up again

2 Likes

Turn off your phone’s system sounds.

1 Like

Thank you Jordan. I’m waiting to order up Lumity 90s. I appreciate your review snd I found it very helpful. Been following your posts. I presently have Paradise 90s and like them, but thinking Lumity will be an improvement with speech.

1 Like

I’m not so sure, pretty much the same HAs, but with a different name, autosence was updated… the “waterproof” turned out to be a poor joke, save your dollars until they offer a real update, like new chip/processor, LE Audio etc.

3 Likes

@Ureout Sorry for late reply as I didn’t get any notification, if you could add @ sign and chose which person you are replying to, they will get a notification. Thx

To answer your question, my screenshot above is where you want to (your audiologist can) change the startup program, as default Autosense will be the startup program.
If you save your adjustments as a new program, then no, they will not affect the main program, but if you do update any of the main programs, then yes, as you will be overwriting the selected program.

1 Like

Not so sure I agree with you. Yes…in the past, processors and other platform hardware upgrades provided a major upgrade in sound quality. I think the processors in the latest generation of Phonak hearing aids have reached a point where they are lightening fast and most of the big changes will now come from software upgrades. Basically you don’t have to wait for a hardware upgrade to see improvements in speech and sound clarity.

Also…don’t underestimate Phonak’s Autosense 5.0 upgrade in Lumity. Autosense 5.0 is just one of a number of software enhancements that Phonak has added to Lumity as part of their Smartspeech update. Also included is Speech Enhancer and StereoZoom 2.0. All of these software changes are very significant and have provided me with an enormous improvement in speech understanding across a wide variety of listening environments. The biggest thing I have noticed is how fast and smoothly Lumity reacts to changing sound environments. IMHO, it’s a game changer and not other hearing aids that I have tried respond like this.

I think @Sequoia_Woman should try out the Lumity Platform and see if it provides her with a significant upgrade over the Paradise hearing aids. I’m actually looking forward to hearing her comments after she has had a chance to compare the two.

Just my 2 cents…

Jordan

4 Likes

Phonak Lumity vs Paradise vs Marvel hearing aids

2 Likes

Yeah sure, its always a good idea to trial your next potential HAs, however in this case I don’t think there’s going to be a significant difference, software is always good,but only as good as the hardware, I think Phonak skimped out on the Lumity, the next platform will be the one to watch.

1 Like