Resound Omnia vs Phonak Lumity

@tenkan: Just curious. Have you tried the new Lumity hearing aids? Not sure how you can come to the conclusion that the new software enhancements are trivial without testing them yourself.

Jordan

1 Like

I have a question… i’m trialing the lumity’s with MAV 3 receiver wires, I’m thinking of asking my audi for a set of the old style M3 wires so I can interchange them to see the hearing differences… can I use the same set-up on my Automatic HA program for both sets of wires??

Is there a Up model in the lumity series?

No I haven’t, I might get around to testing at a later date, I test out all relevant platform releases from the major manufacturer’s every year, i can tell there will be be no “significant” as in game changer without testing between P90 (which I have tested, I found no difference between P90 and M90 in sound quality as well, which I suspected would be the case) and L90.
I’m more interested in the hardware/software as a package, I’m seriously interested in how AI can help bring out the best in this, but at the moment I don’t even see this helping
(I think their looking at it the wrong way, using motion sensors etc) it has a long way to go, another thing is CI, I’d like to see this moving quicker as well, miniaturized as well as software, if only they would spend the same research dollars on this as they do for HAs.

Is Lumity based on Prism chip?
If it is the case, why then offer Lumity, when they (Phonak) can just upgrade Paradise’s firmware and call it a day?

2 Likes

To sell HA and make $$$$$.$$

@Baltazard

7 Likes

They should be reprogrammed, but of course you can just change over without and see if you like the results, you might like what you hear.

Naída Paradise was the last I believe, the lumity is Audeo at the moment.

It is actually HF3 filter, it is not easy to remove and put in. Resound started using this filter in the omnia hearing aid with UP receiver mold…

Seem like the industry practice is to do firmware upgrade every 2-3 times every 2 years when there is a new chip platform release…

Is this based on your perception, or an objective measurement?

Yes, i tested the P90 up against my M90, I no longer use Phonak models after being a long time user of them, Autosence is my biggest bugbear,I had my best experience by Phonak with the early Bolero models.
I now use Signia AX and ReSound Ones as daily drivers, I like to change but this could be the “better the devil you know” type of case!

P.S, I’m not knocking Phonak, they are great for whoever likes them, unfortunately not for me.

1 Like

Yes! SoundFlow in my opinion works much better then AutoSense

1 Like

I don’t doubt that you’re testing in a systematic way. But do the results depend on how the aids sound to you?

Yes of course(including what specifications are offered) this is why I stated my reasons for holding off getting the lumity, if you already have the paradise wait until the next platform, which will most likely offer more meaningful upgrades, but who knows…maybe, we’ll just have to wait and see, we can usually get a heads up on what their working on through different channels, AI is something Phonak will be playing “catch up” on.

Check out another review here.

JordanK, I’ve started the process of getting the Phonak Lumity 90s. Do you have those activeVent receivers?

Just be aware that your a little bit outside the fitting range for Active Vents, so possibly unsuitable.

1 Like

@tenkan are you wearing Phonak Paradise presently? You do not have your audiogram posted. What type of loss do you have. I have trouble with hear speech. My word recognition is slightly low.

Hey unfortunately I’m no longer using Phonak anymore, the problems your experiencing are common issues for severe and profound losses, we are all looking for better speech comprehension especially in noisy environments, don’t let me put you off trialling the Lumity models, hearing is very selective and sensitive to ones own loss and environment,finding the right HAs is a work in progress for most of us I’m afraid, I don’t know if your seeing an audiologist that is working with you to ensure your getting the best out of those paradise versions you have now, pretty much it’s that, before you can go find another brand to trial and or DIY

1 Like

@tenkan Yes I agree , the hearing aid is only as good as the audiologist programming them. I think I have a good Audi. I’ve been thru several over the years.