Resound Omnia vs Phonak Lumity

Seem like the industry practice is to do firmware upgrade every 2-3 times every 2 years when there is a new chip platform release…

Is this based on your perception, or an objective measurement?

Yes, i tested the P90 up against my M90, I no longer use Phonak models after being a long time user of them, Autosence is my biggest bugbear,I had my best experience by Phonak with the early Bolero models.
I now use Signia AX and ReSound Ones as daily drivers, I like to change but this could be the “better the devil you know” type of case!

P.S, I’m not knocking Phonak, they are great for whoever likes them, unfortunately not for me.

1 Like

Yes! SoundFlow in my opinion works much better then AutoSense

1 Like

I don’t doubt that you’re testing in a systematic way. But do the results depend on how the aids sound to you?

Yes of course(including what specifications are offered) this is why I stated my reasons for holding off getting the lumity, if you already have the paradise wait until the next platform, which will most likely offer more meaningful upgrades, but who knows…maybe, we’ll just have to wait and see, we can usually get a heads up on what their working on through different channels, AI is something Phonak will be playing “catch up” on.

Check out another review here.

JordanK, I’ve started the process of getting the Phonak Lumity 90s. Do you have those activeVent receivers?

Just be aware that your a little bit outside the fitting range for Active Vents, so possibly unsuitable.

1 Like

@tenkan are you wearing Phonak Paradise presently? You do not have your audiogram posted. What type of loss do you have. I have trouble with hear speech. My word recognition is slightly low.

Hey unfortunately I’m no longer using Phonak anymore, the problems your experiencing are common issues for severe and profound losses, we are all looking for better speech comprehension especially in noisy environments, don’t let me put you off trialling the Lumity models, hearing is very selective and sensitive to ones own loss and environment,finding the right HAs is a work in progress for most of us I’m afraid, I don’t know if your seeing an audiologist that is working with you to ensure your getting the best out of those paradise versions you have now, pretty much it’s that, before you can go find another brand to trial and or DIY

1 Like

@tenkan Yes I agree , the hearing aid is only as good as the audiologist programming them. I think I have a good Audi. I’ve been thru several over the years.

I do not have the ActiveVent receivers. My audiologist thought it might be interesting for me to try them but when we got Phonak on the phone, they indicated that my hearing loss isn’t suitable for ActiveVent and I decided to pass. I will be honest with you. I was hearing so well after the first fitting of the Phonak Lumity L90’s with the normal receivers that I was very reluctant to start messing with anything. One of the new things included with Lumity is a new first fit algorithm. My audiologist started with that and then adjusted based on DSL during the REM test. Results were amazing.

Jordan

What were you wearing before?
Is there anyone who moved from Paradise to Lumity and noticed this difference?

I too can add ActiveVent but no one knows if they’ll be a good fit for me or not :)) Damn, reading this forum with all these cool option makes me have some real FOMO for better audiologist in my area…they don’t even have REM.

I was wearing Resound Quattro 9’s prior. I also tested Lumity vs Resound’s new Omnia and it wasn’t even a contest.

Jordan

Your outside the fitting range, but that doesn’t mean you can’t try them ; )

See here, it’s already been talked about in another post, use the search button from right here on hearingtracker to find out more about this.

amazing answer! thank you so much :slight_smile:

Lumity update… I’ve been trialing the Lumitys now for about a month off and on because of problems with reciever wires… I have tried both normal and the AV wires and for the past week had both sets of wires and would interchange them to see if there was a significant difference between them… I honestly didn’t see much difference … I tried them playing multiple sports Pickleball, Softball and Golf and also indoors at my home… I would wear each set of wires for about a 1/2 hr and then change them up… The last few days I decided to just wear the AV wires and I also brought with me my Resound 1"S and did the same above activities… what I did notice was to get practically the same hearing ability with my Resounds I boosted my volume up a couple decibels and added a little more treble to my ALL-Around program on the 1’s using my app … also last week my audi gave me a set of the Phonak titanium molds to try instead of my normal silicone molds… He did have to change up my program for them but I still didn’t see much of a difference in speech comprehension and I didn’t care for the titaium mold becasue it would shift a little in my left ear and cause some occlusion until I shifted it back… the construction of the mold also seemed to make the tip of the wire a wax magnet because it would actually sit right on the tip of the mold when seated properly … in my silicone molds my wires sit back about 1/16" from the tip… that to me would be a nightmare for upkeep especially since the AV’s are suppose to only last about 6 months and per Phonak should be changed out for new ones that I would have to buy…
2 other things that I prefer with Resound is streaming TV and the app… when streaming with Phonak everytime I get a phone call or was texting with someone my stream would stop and several times I would have to stick the HA’s back in charger because the Microphone/TV streamer disappeared from app or get up and walk over to TV streamer and push the button on back of Tv streamer to hook back up… The Resound app is far more superior than the Phonak app in fact in all the reviews I have ever read NO ONE likes it… and last but not least is battery life… my resound 1’s are nearly 2 yrs old and I wear them 15/16 hrs a day and even on a heavy weekend of streaming sports for about 9/10 hrs I still have 60% battery life left… Phonak battery life is a joke, with a brand new set of HA’s to get thru a noraml day I’d wear them in morning for about 4 hrs and then stick them back in charger for 1 hr. and then at night I’d have about 35% left… I will admit that the lumitys did give me a little better comprehension in converstaions with many people around but I can’t justify that as being signifiacnt enough to purchase them with so many other negatives
When I turned them back in today to my audi he called me on the phone a couple hrs. later and said the phonak rep would like to meet with me and if possible the rep would do a whole new fitting from scratch and try them again because I definitely should have had a better experience with them… but it won’t be able to happen til after the holidays… we’ll see

4 Likes

Interesting that better hearing comprehension in conversations with many people around isn’t the most important thing for you. IMHO, this is the most important thing you have listed and it’s the one thing that makes Lumity superior to Resound. This is the main reason I bought Lumity.

I do agree that with Lumity the battery life is much less than Resound. That being said, the bluetooth connection is far more reliable and I have yet to experience any connection issues.

I will also say that it’s easy to top up the battery on Lumity by simply popping them back into the charger when you take a shower, read a book or take a nap, etc. 15-20 min in the charger gives you hours of extra time and easily gets you through a whole day.

As far as the app goes, yes…the Resound app is a little simpler and easier to use. That being said, I also never go into the app anyone because Autosense 5.0 is so good that there is rarely any value in forcing the Lumity hearing aids into a specific program.

I would let Phonak do another fitting before giving up on Lumity. Your audiologist may have messed up the initial fit.

Jordan

6 Likes

Jordan, I agree with you on hearing comprehension in conversations being important 100% … but the difference between my resounds and the phonaks i was trialing were not that much different maybe 10% … In my earliest posts when I initally got the lumitys I posted a that I saw a signficant improvement in comprehension and I really enjoyed wearing them…that lasted 1 week and I had an issue with the R HA … I could hear with it but no adjustments could be made it was froze up and no reset by the audi did anything, the following week I was given another new set of trial lumitys and supposedly the same set up… but the experience I had with the 1st set was no where near the 1st set … hopefully the phonak rep after the holidays comes through with her promise… but if it ends up being the same result then NO 10% better is not good enough with all the other down sides to them… do me a favor when you are streaming TV have your wife call and then have her try texting you and let me know if after you hang up and finish texting back to her and then close your phone and see if your tv stream starts back up by itself… thx

2 Likes

@Ureout , @JordanK . Your comments are great stuff and extremely helpful to me as a soon-to-be new HA buyer. Maybe if I researched back through the thread, I could find if you’re both iPhone users. I think it helps to reminder readers in a new segment of a thread what phone, even the model, that you’re using. Ureout, you don’t show your audiogram. Maybe privacy reasons? And although everybody’s hearing and preferences are different, I think comments about hearing loss, or an audiogram at least helps a reader feel that whether they might be even in the same ballpark as the poster. I’d be all for an occasional reminder of what your word recognition scores, speech-in-noise scores are. I’m going for my first thorough hearing test in four years tomorrow, so I hope to have the “goods” on my hearing loss to put any future comments on trialing hearing aids in context.

I do agree with Ureout that there are other considerations besides speech comprehension in noisy situations. I’ve been retired for quite a few years and participating in a noisy group gathering is a very rare event for me. A more common situation is the wife trying to tell me something with some noise like a microwave, a stove exhaust fan, refrigerator, or AC noise competing at the same time. So directional focusing on speech coming from any old direction is likely to be important for me but in most cases, I’d be able to remove the noise or tell the person I’m conversing with that we need to make some adjustment. So, giving up the various advantages of MFi hearing aids and my Apple Watch is something I’m going to think a lot about. TV streaming is the only application I really need special connectivity and the ReSound TV streamer works well for me. For anything else, I can put on my BT noise cancelling headphones over my HA’s, e.g., streaming from my computer, and that works great.

I’m actually considering going for disposable battery-powered HA’s, too, as I don’t like the idea of frying my rechargeable batteries or at least decreasing their lifespan by wearing my HA’s outside when it’s over 100 deg F in Texas summer heat. I really like rechargeables, but I don’t like the finite lifespan implicitly built into them when one’s warranty period expires. So, that might be a plus on the Omnia side of the ledger. We’ll see…

In terms of “what is the best hearing aid for …,” I really like a vlog Dr. Cliff did last week and I’ll post it up for discussion and put a link to the thread on his commentary in this post.

5 Likes