Resound Omnia 9 battery problem

I have no direct experience with this as I don’t use either WhatsApp or FB for calls. But I’d check that BT access permission is turned on for both apps. I’d also look in the MFi devices widget to see the mic turned ON. Before I turned off all other app BT access permissions, I couldn’t seem to find any functionality for this button (I thought it referred to receipt of sound by the HA external mics - but maybe it serves to toggle outgoing mic functionality?), and haven’t tried it again since turning off other app BT permissions. But my thinking is that Apple wouldn’t have put the mic On/Off radio button toggle in MFi settings if it didn’t do something.

If the MFi mic toggle served to control outgoing mic functionality when in a call, that would be news. Other users have complained that with MFi hands-free calling, unlike Phonak’s solution, they don’t have a choice between HA mics and iPhone mics for their outgoing voice sound. So, if one is in a noisy environment, the caller on the other end hears all the surrounding racket through the HA mics. When the wife gets home from work, I’ll see if she’ll humor me with an experiment to see if the MFi mic toggle actually does anything in the course of a phone call.

BTW, Um_bongo, I haven’t noticed having M&RIE receiver mics on my Omnias degrades speech recognition. My recognition of my wife’s soft-spoken speech seems much better than with my Quattros. If there is any degradation from receiver output vibration transmitted through the receiver to the M&RIE mic, it’s very subtle. Perhaps it would only occur at the highest sound volumes for which the M&RIE receivers are still active until, in noisy environments, mic input is supposed to be switched to the HA body mics. I usually talk with my wife in a very quiet 30 to 40 dB environment at home.

1 Like

Thanks for the connectivity info Jim. I’ll pass it on.

The point about the MaRie set-up was that when they switch to the Pinna Omnia mic, they will potentially sound great, as long as the switching back and forth into the directional mics is well managed. Glad they are working for you though.

I’m sorry if I didn’t read closely enough, but have the hearing aids ever malfunctioned while not connected to the phone? That is, disconnect them from the phone completely: do you still have problems? Is this a hearing aid problem or a phone problem?

No, no dropouts.

Just the mic function that used to work with her ‘old’ Omnia aids has been lost for app based calling with the new ones. I can’t fathom whether it’s a GN issue or IPhone SE problem. GN are saying not, but it’s their side of the seesaw that moved in the clients’ mind.

The worst part is that they’ve binned their landline and she’s really struggling on calls now.

I tried several phone call experiments with my wife. It didn’t seem to matter whether I turned my HA mics ON or OFF in the Smart 3D app (see picture below). When she called me, if I picked the ON option in the Mic Input control in the MFI Hearing Devices widget, she said my voice sound faint and far away, like I was talking down a long tunnel. Paradoxically, if I picked Mic Input to be OFF, she said my voice came through loud and clear, and it didn’t seem to matter if I were near my iPhone or not. Covering up the bottom of the phone with my hand didn’t seem to interfere with her perception of my voice.

I made a brief effort to look in Apple Support to see what the Mic Input control is supposed to do, but I haven’t found a description of the control function yet. I will keep looking. Maybe someone else uses the control and, unlike me, knows what it does (or is supposed to do when it’s working correctly!)?

Edit_Update: According to Bing ChatGPT, the Mic Input toggle controls the microphone input when using Live Listen. However, when I turn on Live Listen, the Mic Input toggle disappears from the Hearing Devices widget. Initially, when I had Mic Input OFF, Live Listen did not seem to work, but after a while, it didn’t matter to Live Listen function whether Mic Input was ON or OFF prior to turning on Live Listen?! I do not fully trust Bing ChatGPT’s answer. Still looking for direct from Apple info. SEE THE NEXT POST FROM ME. FOUND THE ILLUSTRATED ANSWER ON A STARKEY WEB PAGE:

Click on the picture to enlarge it, if you want.

1 Like

I found the answer on a Starkey web page. At least with Starkey HA’s, the Mic Input control determines whether the HA mics are used to speak to a caller during a phone call. The setting CAN NOT BE CHANGED DURING A PHONE CALL. If the setting is Mic Input ON, the HA mics will be used. If the setting is Mic Input OFF, the iPhone mic will be used.

So, for at least one MFi HA brand, you have your choice between using HA mics and the phone mic in taking a call.

Apple Device Setup

2-Way Audio is solely controlled via Apple native controls. Native controls can be accessed via a triple-click or from Control Center. 2-Way Audio is labeled “Mic Input”.

2-way audio screens 1 and 2

2-Way Audio Mic Input Options

On: iOS is using the hearing aid microphone for voice pick-up during a call.
Off: Hearing aid user is required to speak into iPhone or iPad microphone during calls. Call audio is still streamed to the hearing aids.

NOTE: This setting cannot be changed during an active phone call.

1 Like

Triple-click function is a configurable setting. From the control center you can click on the ear icon near the bottom.

1 Like

Yes, in the post above, I just copied and pasted Starkey’s language describing how to access the Mic Input toggle and its purpose. Quite a bit earlier in the thread, lost in all my blather, was advice on accessing the Mic Input toggle via the Ear symbol in the Control Center set of widgets. Good to remind people how to do that and that the triple click only works if configured in Settings, Accessibility, Accessibility Shortcut by picking Hearing Devices as the desired Accessibility Shortcut out of many Accessibility Shortcut options available. Thanks for the reminder and for pointing the triple-click option has to be configured. :+1:

I deleted the Smart 3D app, unpaired and repaired my Omnias, and reinstalled the Smart 3D app to see if that stops the connectivity problems. At least for past major iOS updates (iOS 15 to iOS 16, etc.), there seemed to be some consensus on the forum that was a good thing to do for MFi hearing aids. The audi, in setting up my purchased Omnias, just unpaired the trial Omnias, paired my purchased Omnias in Hearing Devices settings, then connected my new Omnias with the Smart 3D app. I’ll see if more of a “fresh start” makes for more stable connectivity.

1 Like

Somewhere here I posted how to set up the triple click. Need me to find it again? If I recall correctly when I set mine up 10 years ago it was not the default.

@stu

I think I know what my Omnias are doing in the most extreme form of disconnection from my iPhone 14 Pro Max, i.e. when neither force-killing and relaunching the ReSound Smart 3D app (not recommended by ReSound as a good thing to do) nor rebooting the iPhone works to re-establish HA connectivity. In such a disconnect, only turning the affected HA('s) off and on again re-establishes iPhone connectivity for me.

For me, such a disconnected Omnia seems to have gone into Flight Mode, in which all Bluetooth is turned off. If one reads the Omnia manual, the way to exit Flight Mode is to turn an HA off, then on again. And that’s what re-establishes connectivity and HA BT broadcasting for me.

For me, disconnection seems to be triggered by “iPhone separation.” If I leave my iPhone somewhere and stay away from it for a fairly long time (>10 min) by going outside into the yard or by going to a far corner of the house when I return to the iPhone, that’s when I’m most likely to enter the Flight Mode-like state. The HA’s are still functioning ~normally in letting me hear room sounds, but because there’s no BT, they can’t be controlled by my iPhone, and they don’t show up as connected in Settings, Accessibility, Hearing Devices, MFi Hearing Devices, either.

They also don’t show up as broadcasting in the Smart 3D app Find My Hearing Aids applet: no signal strength is registered on the meter for any disconnected HA. Any disconnected HA doesn’t show up as broadcasting Bluetooth in any of three iPhone BT scanner apps: nRF Connect, BLE Hero, or BLE Scanner. As soon as an affected hearing aid is turned off, then on again, the rebooted HA shows up broadcasting Bluetooth as it should in all of the above tests, including the Find My Hearing Aids applet and in MFi Hearing Devices. I will write GN Support that they seem to have a very annoying bug in Omnia firmware. If it’s something caused by interacting with iOS 16, ReSound needs to get with Apple and literally iron out the bugs.

I don’t know if there’s any relation, but I found a separate Omnia Flight Mode bug that I’ve discussed in another thread. Normally, in the standard setup of the ReSound Smart Fit fitting software, the ability to enter Flight Mode is not enabled by default in the U.S. The FAA no longer requires hearing aid users to turn off BT connectivity in flight. When I have the ability to enter Flight Mode enabled for my Omnias, I cannot deliberately enter Flight Mode in the prescribed manual way for Omnia 962s with disposable batteries. That is, open and close the battery door of an Omnia three times within 10 seconds. Both of my Omnias, when I do that, still remain in normal operating mode, broadcasting BT by all of the above tests. Resound Omnia 961 rechargeable versus 962 with 13 zinc-air battery - #24 by jim_lewis

So that’s hilarious. :rofl: I can’t enter Flight Mode when I want to, but accidentally, about once a day, usually during an “iPhone separation,” one or both of my HA’s may decide to enter a state functionally akin to Flight Mode.

So, @stu, if your wife has rechargeable Omnias, if Flight Mode entry were enabled by her HCP in Smart Fit, she could enter and leave Flight Mode in the following way (from the manual for the rechargeables):

Turning off wireless communication (activating Flight Mode)

1. Turn off your hearing aid.
  2. Press the button for 9 seconds.
  3. Your hearing aid will double-flash four times. If you are wearing your hearing aids at the time, you will hear
    double tones ( ) for about 10 seconds, meaning the hearing aid is now in Flight Mode.

Activating wireless communication (turning off Flight Mode)

1. Turn your hearing aid off and then on.
  2. Wireless communication will be activated after 10 seconds.

It would be interesting to know if your wife’s rechargeable Omnias can be deliberately put in Flight Mode. Maybe there’s a ReSound/Apple MFi BT connectivity bug that prevents the deliberate triggering of Flight Mode but causes Flight Mode to accidentally occur at random times, perhaps triggered by “iPhone separation?”

1 Like

Have you tried going in to the phone Settings and drilling down to select the aids? On that screen try disabling and then re-enabling streaming for each aid. That has generally worked well for the couple of different brands I have used.

1 Like

Yes, I have read your previous posts on that. At least one MFi HA has to be connected for the streaming On/Off option to show (and if at least one HA is connected, the switch shows for both HA’s). For me, when an HA is seriously disconnected, only a “searching” pinwheel shows in MFi Devices, not a battery icon for that HA. If the other HA is still connected, its battery icon will still show in MFi Devices. I’ve also tried having both HA’s controlled separately in MFi devices vs. controlled in synchrony. Switching that stuff on and off has no effect for me on the disconnected HA. I think it must be because of a difference between what’s going astray for ReSound and Oticon HA’s. And even though they both address the MFi API, so to speak, on the side of the HA’s, I would think how their chipsets operate must be quite a bit different.

I do have other states of disconnection where force-killing the Smart 3D app and relaunching or rebooting my iPhone does the trick. In the future, I should look more closely at BT broadcasting with a BT scanner before I try any fixes and see if the affected HA is still broadcasting when connectivity can just be recovered by forcing-killing the 3D app or rebooting the iPhone, etc. Before, I was only doing further tests on the state of the disconnected HA when neither of those quickie fixes worked.

Wow! I did not consider total disconnection. It appears, at least with Oticon, that connectivity may be more consistent without the app installed.

Are you sure there are not other wireless devices in the vicinity that could be interfering at 2.4 GHz or 2.5 GHz? Wi-Fi and microwave ovens come to mind. Due to inexpensive radio parts many devices use these unlicensed frequencies.

2 Likes

For me, the funny thing is if I hadn’t wasted all that time in the other thread on Flight Mode, I likely never would have had the epiphany that maybe accidentally entering Flight Mode is what responsible for my occasional states of complete disconnection even though room sounds seem normal through my external mics. Whatever it is, it’s weird!

1 Like

Here is another thing to check. Do you own an iPad? Apple’s icloud shares the hearing aid settings with other devices. I had an issue with my Quattro’s where one hearing aid suddenly wouldn’t connect with my iPhone. Turns out my iPad was nearby and was grabbing one or both connections to my hearing aids. I turned off Bluetooth on the iPad and the issue disappeared. Just something else to check…

Jordan

4 Likes

Interesting suggestion, Jordan! I don’t own an iPad but my wife has two. I also still use my Galaxy Note 8 with my Quattros occasionally. My Omnias have never been paired with that. And we have a ton of BT devices around the house. I can’t recall having a single disconnection event with my trial Omnias, though. I reported my Flight Mode hypothesis to ReSound. We’ll see if there’s any response.

The most important observation, though, is when an Omnia is in a thoroughly disconnected state from my iPhone, it can’t be detected by a BT scanner. That just basic RF detection and shouldn’t depend on a MFi connection to the iPhone or not.

On the iPads go to Settings->Accessibility->Hearing Devices
Make sure both “Control Nearby Dev”and “Audio Handoff” are turned off.

2 Likes

I’ll give it a try later in the day. The wife is sleeping off some flu-like bug that’s got her feeling very tired and I don’t use her iPads.

1 Like

My wife checked her BT settings on her iPads. On her old iPad Mini, stuck on iPadOS 12.7, she keeps BT turned off, and I don’t think anything is BT-paired with that iPad. Opening Accessibility, Hearing Devices, just results in a pinwheel searching, and nothing else shows. On her iPad Pro (iPadOS 16.4), she keeps BT turned on, but the only thing her Pro is paired with is her Apple Pencil. And the same is true for opening Accessibility, Hearing Devices on the Pro. The only thing that shows up there is the searching pinwheel. She tells me she keeps both devices completely off when she’s not using them, too, and the total disconnect of both my Omnias this morning occurred when both her iPads were off. Perhaps Find My is turned on for both devices but I should think that would just be occasional BT broadcasting and occasional BT listening for a “wipe this device” command.

I think I’ll just trundle along as things are and wait for ReSound or Apple to come up with a fix. I don’t feel like playing “let’s exchange the HA’s and see what happens…” game.

If either aid has been connected to the iPad before it might still be hiding a legacy connection.

Turn the Bluetooth off. Reboot the iPad and don’t reconnect, it should sort itself out.