Resound Nexia, Google 8, ASHA protocol, Bluetooth Streaming Audio Quality

To turn off LE Audio system-wide on the Pixel 8 (last I checked, anyway) you go into Developer options.

To get into developer options:

Go to Settings->About phone, scroll all the way down and tap the Build number 7 times . After entering your screen lock, developer options will be enabled

1 Like

Hands-free calling works only with LE Audio enabled doesn’t it?

I’m not sure how it is with Resound but in Signias fitting software there’s separate equaliser for streaming, and more often than not you basically have to offset your prescription (it’s what it does by default too).

Also, LE A connectivity issues seem to vary greatly between phone brands, and the implementations differ (unfortunately).

Yes, but @Jayne_B can turn it back on when his streaming is tuned. It does not effect the prescription. If he leaves it on, fine, it just adds more issues at the beginning with sound to only one ear at times while streaming and on phone calls.
It is good to know how to turn it off and on however. I am just trying to ease his initial frustration on what is an awesome HA and can have good streaming when fitted appropriately.

Yes.

Seems so. I saw somewhere that Pixels will get an update shortly that improves stability for LE Audio.

1 Like

And Samsung seems to be doing their own thing, yet again… and messing things up, yet again…

Yes, @Reginald , I leave LE Audio off on my Samsung 50% of the time it seems. In particular I turn it off when a phone call has sound quality issues. Then I leave it off till I really want hands free or want the LE for hours of streaming. I like it a lot but I too am waiting on a stability update. Maybe with Android 15?

Android 15 will have a huge LE A update, because it’s supposed to bring Auracast. So hopefully…

1 Like

Hello all. I discovered in February that my brand new Google Pixel 8’s LE Audio was only in beta. Could have been the problem. There may have been an update since then, but I decided to turn the phone back in to my provider, and I got the brand new Galaxy S24 with LE Audio and Auracast. I continued my Nexia trial. It was definitely an improvement, but the sound quality when streaming and in taking phone calls still left much to be desired. One thing for sure I am looking to work around is max volume. I closed domed one ear and 1 vented the other, however I max volume on steaming and on phone calls with the hearing aids. I think there is a developer mode override that may help this. If I plug in(corded)earbuds to stream or talk, the volume is fine and volume control is only halfway up. When bluetooth with earbuds OR my hearing aids in I must max the volume, and then it is just adaquate with the sound volume. Also the sound quality is just soo weak. I also adjusted mid and treble way down, and boosted bass, and created my own “streaming” mode program in the Smart 3D app for music and calls. It helped, but still needed tweaking. Ultimately I stopped the trial and am taking a break for a few months. I know I want LE Audio and auracast, and I now have my Samsung Galaxy S24. What I am looking for is an Audiologist in the Tampa FL area who is extremely Resound knowledgeable and able to afford time, diligence, and shared enthusiasm with me to get me optimized. Does anyone have leads? Willing to travel 1 hr for Resound expertise. Also, any more chatter on Android 15 solving issues? Thank you all for listening

Search in settings for:
Media volume limit
And
Adapt sound

Then install Sound Assistant from the Galaxy Store.
Individual App Volumes, is one thing I really like. When I go to adjust sound I can see and separately adjust the app volume and the system volume. For instance, Spotify comes in too hot for me. I can turn it’s volume down and then the system is more granular. Before I had to keep the volume all the way down when I wanted quiet streaming while listening to others in the background…lol

2 Likes

I started working on that. I think it seemed to help with the corded earphones/buds but not bluetooth. Also it reads double negative which is/has been confusing. I will do more research, which is how I found the developer mode for increasing bluetooth volume. I have not gone into developer mode with this Samsung yet. Since I no longer have the HA’s I am using Samsung earbuds, both plug in and bluetooth. I intend to continue with this very soon. With regard to Media volume limit, here is my setting:

So does ON mean I now have a limit, or does it mean I am overriding the limit…you see my double negative interpretation. I slid the bar max to the right, where the max is “in the red”

It looks like you have maxed out potential volume that it thinks you can do.

I’m curious what your audiogram looks like. I’m not having the same problems. My Bluetooth streaming comes in very loud unless I lower the volumes

@tenkan is there something in SmartFit that would effect Bluetooth streaming volume?

Looking at your audiogram it looks like you need mid-range and treble gain turned up. Do you still have low volumes when you turn those things back up?

You might want to try:
Equaliser For Bluetooth Headphones http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.equalsertst.blutthheadphne

I max out all the equalizers with my hearing aids on as I presume my hearing aids will adjust my frequencies appropriately and I just want to get as much additional boost across the board.

How to adjust the volume on Galaxy buds:

Does this help?

To correct my statement, the adjustments with treble and mid were needed when I was doing the demo with the Nexia’s with the Google Pixel. When I switched to the Galaxy I still felt I had too much mid and high but not nearly as bad as with the Pixel 8. When I used the Nexia with the Galaxy I still felt I needed more bass less mid and high, but not to the extreme. Since I am not using any bluetooth HA presently, I should forego further comment on problem solving until I resume in the future. I did want to update everyone that the Pixel 8 didn’t seem ready to stream using LE Audio for sure. I hope that when I resume a demo with the Samsune Galaxy s24 and the Resound Nexia I can resolve volume and sound quality issues. Also the bonus of an upcoming Android update.

As for my bluetooth earbuds, I will try your suggestions for volume improvement as you have given me great suggestions. I will also explore the developer override of bluetooth max volume I learned about, but have not implemented. You have been a great resource for me @RSW . Thank you!

It’s a pleasure to be of help. Best of luck with your future HAs!

I am now able to use my Samsung earbuds with my Samsung galaxy S24 and get “proper” volume. I did the override max volume, and then also changed the set up on the volume controls on the earbuds themselves. After a phone restart, I now have proper volume, using the ear bud tap/hold volume controls. I have also tweaked the equalizer in the S24 and the equalizer in the Samsung Wearable app. All is well. It is a good day.

The flip side is, I started over with a new Audi/students within our local medical school. The ENT there uses resound for their cochlear implants, and so I feel they have a good connection/relationship with Resound GN. My Samsung Galaxy S24 is not, and will not soon be compatable with the Resound Nexia hearing aid, according to my Audi. "It is not stable."
So I have a brand new S24 phone that, if I retrial the Nexia’s, can only be ok with the ASHA protocol maybe possibly. According to the Resound website, the S24 is not on their list for ASHA compatability either, nor compatable with the Resound smart 3D app. Compatibility | ReSound US
I currently use the Resound smart 3D app on my Samsung galaxy S24 with my existing Resound omina HA’s, and its pretty stable. I have noticed occasional visual hiccups looking at the app (overlapping visuals) but everything works. I can only hope that Resound will want to update to be compatable with the S24 sometime in the future. That being said, i’m actually going to buy an unlocked used Samsung Galaxy S23, and give the Resound Nexia another trial. Is there anybody out there with an S23 and the Resound Nexia’s that I can get info from? How are they working out? Also, does anyone have an unlocked Samsung S23 to sell for cheap to trial the Nexia hearing aids? lol

@KjKAN, excuse any repeat information.
My partner and I both have the Jabra Enhance Pro 20s from Costco which are the same thing as the ReSound Nexia 9s. I have the Galaxy S23 Ultra and she the Galaxy S24 Ultra. Both of us have had pretty stable operation with the ASHA protocol.

She got her HAs a month ago and just returned from 10 days in Spain where she had no problems with her phone and hearing aids working together. We talked daily. She also got the ReSound PhoneClip+ so she could have hands free. She is on the phone a lot. I asked her to leave LE Audio off as she is not tech savvy. Because we are on different coasts for the next month, still, I can not test the LE Audio mode on her S24 to see if the behavior is any different than on my S23. I am not sure why it would be as we are both running One UI 6.1 and Bluetooth 5.3. She has been very happy with her setup

I stream a lot and I am very happy with the sound my HCP helped tune my fitting to, as well as what I did with my phone too. I can switch between streaming and voice calls well in ASHA mode. I have mostly kept LE Audio off as it is finicky. I have to disconnect then connect the HAs and or turn Bluetooth off and on too frequently for my default patience level. With the ASHA protocol I do this much more seldom. I still use it when I want hands free or just because. I can get clear across the house and down a floor hands free with LE Audio. I love my Jabra (read ReSound) HAs with my S23.

Android 15 beta 2 is out and it has fixes for both dual mode (phones that operate in ASHA and LE Audio modes) as well as a number of LE Audio issues. By the end of the year Samsung One UI 7 may be out with these changes. It sounds promising. I hope to hear feedback from Pixel 8 ReSound or Jabra or Oticon HA users with LE Audio before then.

One thing that should help you. Go to phones Settings and search on “Never Auto Sleeping Apps”. Be sure to add the ReSound Smart 3D app to that list. The app runs in the background even if you kill the app. Mine has currently been running in the background for 85 hours. My HAs kept disconnecting from the app before that. You can check on it by tapping the lower left button of the phone screen (where you can see and kill your apps). In the upper left corner there is some wording about background apps. Select that and you will see the apps running in the background. From there you can actually stop the app.

Enjoy your S24s and Nexias. I think they are great choices.

2 Likes

3D App added to “never auto sleeping apps”. Thank you.
Wouldn’t be sad then, if the Audio decides not to trial the Nexia’s related to her conversation with the Resound rep regarding the S24? I am in a holding pattern right now until I access my next move. You have encouraging feedback though. Thank you. Still thinking of buying an unlocked S23 to compare. I may even end up at Costco. Ironically, I am a brand new member.

1 Like