Resound Linx2

Sorry for sidetracking this thread. but i think others may benefit from this interjection too.

KenP,

just read your audiogram. have you ever tried widex’s audibility extender. your right ear would greatly benefit from it.

I’ve been without HA’s for a little over a year since my Audicus hearing aids died. But I have new insurance benefits, and HA’s are once again within reach. I saw the audiologist today and I asked if there might be something that is compatible with my iPhone. I’m young-ish, tech savvy, I want a device that’s more relevant to someone like me and my connected lifestyle. We’re going to try the ReSound Linx2 since it fits within my insurance benefit. Apparently there’s a trial, so if it doesn’t work out, I’ll try something else. But I came here hoping there might be more conversation about the pros & cons of it.

I should have mine within the next couple of weeks, so I’ll be sure to report back my impressions.

One concern I have: the audiologist told me to install the ReSound phone app between now and whenever the HA’s arrive at his office. I did just that, but the app store reviews suggest that ReSound might be having significant quality issues with the software, as well as compatibility issues with iOS. To be honest, I’m a little nervous about that.

The wireless communication reliability can be choppy sometimes, but usually its fine. I’ve had people complain about iOS compatibility but I personally have not run into it. And I get an email from Resound almost daily verifying compatibility with some new version of iOS.

@Manus,

I tried it with a KS6 (Lynx981) and found it would stream ok. The 3 click popup was iffy but the ap fine.

If you add the sound clip +, you can attach up to 8 other Bluetooth devices. It is a small, clip-on device that I like. Mine was $206 at Costco.

Hi
Make sure you have the latest IOS if your using an iphone 5S or 6, it makes a big difference to the streaming sound quality. The connectivity can be a bit choppy as the battery’s go flat. I have found that if you change the battery’s a day before they go flat that usually stops it.

However please realise that if you have open domes the sound quality will be much worse than closed domes, as some frequency leaks out. Simply try putting your fingers in your ears whilst listening to streamed music and you will see. The other way to get better quality sound is to put a simple set of phones or ear muffs over the top to block out the outside sounds when streaming music.

I have been doing a long term trial the Link2’s vs two other brands and can send you my results if you wish. its a bit long winded to post here. Please remember it is very subjective as one aid will not be suitable for all, and personal preference in the how you hear sounds plays a big part. I personally do not like harsh tinny sounds and prefer a more mellow sound. Ie the sound from vinyl records as apposed to the harsher sound of CD’s.

it really comes down to personal preference once the audiology bit is resolved.

The sound clip is a good buy I use mine for my IPad. The Linx2 will not connect to an Ipad3 directly.

Please PM me if you require a copy of my field trials.

Regards ian

QUOTE=KenP;130179]@Manus,

I tried it with a KS6 (Lynx981) and found it would stream ok. The 3 click popup was iffy but the ap fine.

If you add the sound clip +, you can attach up to 8 other Bluetooth devices. It is a small, clip-on device that I like. Mine was $206 at Costco.

Hi Yes mine have the 312 batteries and yes I have problems with streaming when phone is In pocket. it can cut out on one ear and I have to open the ap and close it again to re-connect. However the latest IOS9 update from apple did fix a lot of connectivity and quality issues. Still not perfect but getting there.

Go for the 13 battery’s, the 312 is marginal if you stream

Unless that connected lifestyle consists of only one device, the iphone, you will also need the Resound Phone Clip+. I connect mine to my office phone and office desktop computer, cell phone of course, laptop, and tablet. Also, the direct iphone connection is not really hands-free since you have to still speak into the phone microphone. The Phone Clip+ has its own microphone.

I just met with a new audi (university hospital clinic) and we’re considering the Linx2 7 or the Linx2 9. I’m semi-retired and have enough pre-tax health dollars saved to buy a top-of-the-line pair but probably not again for a loooooooong time. So I want to make sure this next purchase will accommodate my future needs as much as possible. I’ve been an Android user for a while but would be willing to switch to an iPhone to get the extra advantages offered with it. I’m not a big TV watcher but I’m a bit of a techie.

I came home from the visit and noticed that ReSound has the ENZO2 model… “smart, super power”!!
http://www.resoundpro.com/en-US/hearing-aids/enzo2

I’m having trouble comparing the features of the top-of-the-line Linx2 9 with the ENZO2. It might be overkill for me.

I’d appreciate comments to help me think this through.

You don’t have a need for the ENZO2. It’s intended for people with profound low-frequency hearing loss.

On the techy side, adding the phone clip + will give you attachment to up to 8 Bluetooth transmitters. It works with any smart phone with BT too. It can use the Android control app also.

Any chance you were in the military?

Ahhhh! Thank you, Rasmus.

Ken, that’s good to know. I like the idea of not needing it but it sounds like it would be good to have anyway.

I was not, Doc.

I see in another Linx2 thread that JustinHIS considers the premium Oticons to be far superior technologically to the Linx2 9 and every other brand.

I’m not trying to stir up trouble, but as a newbie here, I’m interested in knowing how common his viewpoint is and to what extent knowledgeable others would disagree. I’ve got the money set aside to buy a premium set of hearing aids so this is not an academic question. And while the iPhone capability of the Linx2 series is appealing, it’s not as important as overall quality.

Some excerpts of his comments:

Its not that the resound brand is problematic. But its like Kia or Hyundai. It is set up as a “value” brand. Whereas Oticon is set up as a “Luxury” brand.

But the Agils have a wider bandwidth, 2 kneepoints, a lower noise floor, a more personalizable fitting rationale, physically more durable casing, amplifiers that have less distortion, receivers that are more moisture resistant (and smaller), better wax guards, longer battery life.

As far as research goes, Oticon’s fitting rationale is literally 4-6 years ahead of any of the other brands.

the only reason I am biased is because I program them all and I get to see the various levels of satisfaction with every one of them, and the reactions don’t come anywhere close to a properly programmed pair of Oticon premium devices.

And I have to say, I am pretty darn good at getting people who are dissatisfied with other brands to be reasonably happy. But even after that, I can still put Oticons on and their jaws drop.

I have a good friend down in Missouri who is an HIS that dittos everything Justin says here. He sells and services all brands. My audiologist echos the same sentiments though perhaps a bit less vehemently. I spent a long time doing my research before I settled on Oticon and I did that BEFORE I spoke to anyone about them or joined this forum. I asked my audiologist what she would have recommended if I hadn’t simply told her I wanted the Alta2 Pro. She told me that Oticon was her favorite but that she has very good results with Siemens and Phonak. She also said that the new Widex Unique looks very, very promising but hasn’t had the opportunity to fit one yet. She is not too fond of Starkey though she does fit them for those that come in wanting them. They do not handle Resound. I asked why but she skirted around the issue.

She felt that quality was dropping in Siemens since it was sold to a holding company and that they had had some problems with Phonak in the past. Never any with Oticon. I don’t know about Justin but both my HIS friend and my Audiologist like Oticon as much for their philosophy of hearing as much as their technology. But she ended that part of our conversation that she does not worry when fitting someone with any of the top aids from the five they carry. She did say that about 75% of her patients come in already having a pretty good idea of which brand they want

FWIW

Here is my favorite Justin post.

The Binax platform features binaural processing (Oticon has had this technology for about 10 years but call it binaural synchronization), which means that the directional microphones and noise reduction systems synchronize what they are doing and audio is streamed from one side to the other in order to increase the effectiveness of the directional mic system and allow for sideways and reverse directionality. The Binaxfit rationale is designed to increase first fit acceptance, meaning that it emphasizes comfort over clarity. Which means that without significant modification and fine tuning, most people are not getting the best word recognition they are capable of.

Oticon’s Inium Sense platform, on the other hand, features true binaural processing. Besides just the ability to synchronize directional microphones and noise reduction and stream audio between devices, Oticon’s Alta2 Pro and Nera2 Pro feature the ability to actually compare the signals from both sides and operate them independently, and manage the compression ratios of each side independently in order to achieve not just the lowest SNR, but also the most REALISTIC reproduction of analog speech. The speech signal remains the priority so that word recognition improves measurably regardless of the environment. Also, because the compression systems are activated independently, spatial cues are maintained allowing people to focus their attention on the source of multiple sounds quicker and more fluidly (As we do naturally), rather than relying on what the hearing devices thinks is the most important sound.

There are other smaller differences, but the difference in binaural processing strategies is the BIG one. Siemens and Phonak and Resound’s “binaural processing” are where Oticon was 6-10 years ago, depending on which brand you’re talking about.

You will notice I even said Nera2 Pro. I normally sell Nera2 Pros for about $5500/pair. Thats about what I sell Binax 7s for as well, because my cost on them is close to the same. But Ihave a questionnaire that patient fill out when they walk in that asks them to rate their device’ performance in various situations. You’ve probably seen similar ones before. Nera2 Pro and Alta2 Pro ROUTINELY outscore Binax on this subjective measure. I have a 4 point rating system from Very well, to Good, to Fair, to Poor. Binax scores average out in the Good to Fair range (Closer to Good). Nera2 Pro averages in the Very well to Good range (Closer to Good), and Alta2 Pro averages just below Very Well.

I would suggest that you trial both the ReSound product and the Oticon product and then make up your own mind as to which one provides you the greatest benefit in everyday situations. You might find the convenience of direct audio streaming with ReSound is superior to wearing a neckloop device with Oticon.

I did trial the Resound Linx2 and found them to sound very well. But the fact is, this direct connection chews thru batteries like no tomorrow. (every day, or 2) That was a big cause for concern. Of course, you can always have batteries with you, as they are cheap… But it also means your battery will decide to die during phone conversations much more often. I didn’t find that part of it superior to my Oticon Agil Pro’s and the old reliable streamer. It was quite annoying so I gave them back and I’m going to trial the Oticon Alta Pros next. If they don’t make my jaw drop, I’ll probably wait a year to see if Oticon comes up with some superior technology that doesn’t chew thru batteries so fast.

Griffinjay,

find an audiologist you can trust

Comparison of Linx2 with some other aids - sorry but I cannot compare with Oticon

I initially had the ReSound Linx 961s - a bit fiddley to get the programming right but sounded as good as the Phonak Q90s I tried before that once they were programmed right -less comfortable and slightly larger receiver - 312 batteries lasted me 5 full days with small amounts of streaming daily -loved the control app and the direct connection to my iPhone, iPad, iPod…

Next I had the ReSound Linx2 961s - a failure due to microphone noise and no rep in my state(a local problem) - sound would probably have been fine if the microphone noise had not driven me crazy - a bit more comfortable with new smaller receiver - 312 batteries lasted 6 days - both ReSound aids had quite stiff wires from aids to receivers.

Next the Phonak Audeo V90 312Ts - very natural sound - much more comfortable receivers - soft, very flexible wires - 312 batteries last 8 days - connectivity sucks - I refuse to wear a streamer (no lanyards allowed at work due to strangulation risk with confused patients, like to wear jewelry, do not want to have to explain it to everyone all the time, seems primitive, needs to be worn too close to HAs to be convenient, do not have clothes that would hide it etc…)

My audiologist originally told me that any high end hearing aid would be able to be programmed to suit my needs. She favors Phonak due to past good results/acceptance and slightly better prices negotiated with the manufacturer (original quote for Q90s was $600 cheaper per pair than Linx9s) but is happy to sell, program,service all aids. She said that if the V90s were not to my liking she would suggest I try the Oticon next. She felt the reports on the Starkey version of iPhone compatible aids had not been as well received as the ReSound version.