Resound LiNX 961 - My long winded feedback on the iphone integration and tech side of things

I’ve had a pair now for almost a month, and thought I’d post some notes, comments and feedback. I’ve also posted a few wish lists at the end.

Background
I’m a hacker and early adopter kinda person - got a Mac in 1984 when they came out, love gadgets, like to mess with stuff, had to get an iPhone, etc. So when I heard about a hearing aid that would work directly with my iPhone, I had to have it. The notion of having to carry around another gadget for Bluetooth or to act as a remote just wasn’t what I wanted to do. I already carry around a gadget (my iPhone) that’s more than capable. I love my phone and feel lost without it.

I’m 53 and have had hearing loss “forever” - that kid that didn’t always raise his hand during those hearing tests in 3d grade.

I’m an engineer by trade with a software background, do lots of user interface and user experience work, and am comfortable reading up on BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) standards and such.

My hearing loss is moderate, and I can work well with the BTE style and can use an open fit. I don’t have my audiogram so can’t post it, sorry.

Additionally, my audiologist isn’t necessarily that tech savvy, so I was definitely the guinea pig with these. It’s possible some things can be adjusted on the hearing aids that I (and my audiologist) don’t know about.

Controlling the aids from the phone

This is about using the phone to adjust the aid volume, programming, etc.

This is handy. Using the app, I can adjust the volume pretty easily. Changing programs is somewhat useful via the phone, but I’ve found that it’s easier to just push the little button on the back of the aid and cycle through to the program I want. There are only 4 of them, so it’s pretty easy to just press the aid button.

One thing that is kind of neat about having on-phone volume control is that you can quickly see just what they gain you by muting them, then turning them back on. One thing I can tell with this is how effective the noise reduction and filtering programming is. For a second after I un-mute them, I can hear more external general background noise, but then can hear it fade out as the programming kicks in. Kinda neat to hear them doing their thing.

Finding my aids via my phone

As someone who’s lost an aid in the past, this is hands down the best feature of the phone. It will pay for itself if you ever lose one then find it via the phone.

First, the phone shows you the signal strength of the aids. If you set one on a table and have another in your ear and then walk away, you’ll see the signal strength of the one in your ear stay high, while the signal to the other will fall off as you move away. You can basically use that as a “hotter” and “colder” way to figure out where they are (bedside? by the tv? by the computer?) if they are on.

Additionally, the phone will record the coordinates of the last place it was when it connected with the aids. Even if I’m not actively using them with my phone, the phone is still checking in with them at some interval. So say if I were to drop one of them while in a coffee shop and not know it, my phone knows that’s the last place it was when it talked to the aid. Via the app, I can see a map view on my phone (typical iPhone type map) which shows me a little stick pin where they are - either one pin for both if together, or a separate pin for each one if they were seen in different locations.

So overall with this feature, you can know where it was you lost them, and if you get in the general vicinity (and they are on), you can use a “hotter/colder” type approach to go right to them.

Hearing aid feedback tones

These are the various beeps and tones it plays in your ears to let you know about program changes, battery settings, etc.

I’ll get right to the point and say that these drive me crazy. I hate them as they are WAY TOO LOUD. Yes, all caps to indicate shouting because that’s what they do. I almost want to pull my hearing aids out of my ear sometimes when they start. There are a lot of them, but two specific cases really annoy me.

First, when you initially close the battery doors to turn on the aids, they beep 10 times (loudly). I’ve learned to turn them on, set them down somewhere, go do something else, then put them in later. I do not need to know if they are on. I can tell simply by the mic rustling sounds as I put them on my ear.

Second is when the battery is low. It seems to happen most often when I’m on a call. Suddenly one aid will go silent (no call), then the loud tone (disrupting when you’re in a call), then the call comes back on.

Overall they are like when you’re getting in the car, put the keys in first, and that seatbelt tone is dinging away. It’s trying to tell you something, but it’s very obtrusive, and you want to say, “YES I GET IT!”

Hearing aid evangelism

People find these things really interesting. I put a big effort into evangelizing hearing aids in general, and find that these are wonderful tools for that. People are fascinated by the idea of them working directly with my phone, especially if they are iPhone users.

See also “Geek cred” and “Color options” below.

Geek cred

This is about making fellow geeks drool with tech envy.

These things have massive geek cred. Fellow engineers at work think these things are the coolest things ever :slight_smile:

See also “Hearing aid evangelism” and “Hacking potential”.

Making phone calls

This is the ability to have phone audio go directly into the aids.

This is nice, and I’ve found it quite useful for making work calls and such. It’s very hands free, and beats wearing various kinds of headsets. I’ve used it in the car and find the audio isn’t bad. You of course look like a total crazy person as nobody really knows you have the aids in and can tell you’re on the phone :slight_smile:

There are a few negatives.

First, there is a delay of a second or so as the sound switches from phone to aids, and during that time you don’t hear anything. So if you answer a phone call there’s this period of a few seconds where you can’t hear the other person. I suppose I could hold the phone up to my ear at the start, however I can’t really do that in the car when driving. Dunno about where you live, but it’s a $150 ticket if I am talking on my phone while driving without using a hands free headset.

Next is that external sounds still come into your ear. If you are in a call and someone is talking near by or trying to talk to you, your’e hearing them quite well at the same time as the call, and it can be kind of distracting. It’s a bit like having two people talk to you at once.

Third, you have to use the phone as a mic. I’ve been able to make calls using the phone in my shirt pocket or on the desk in front of me, so it’s not like I have to hold it right to my mouth. Maybe the hearing aid mic doesn’t do a good enough job, or maybe it’s a huge battery drain to stream audio from the phone to the aid and then from the aid to the phone?

Battery life

Battery life is definitely lower than for my Siemens Acuris. Duracell batteries (plastic rectangular flip lid case) seem to last far longer than other brands for me. With the old Acuris I could get a week or two out of one. With the Lynx, I replace them once or twice a week. Making lots of phone calls (or long ones) seems to chew up the battery life faster.

Playing music

When you listen to music via the hearing aids, you can stream the audio into your hearing aids directly.

Straight to the point, the audio is terrible. Do you know what it’s like when you use ear bud headphones like the iPhone comes with, and they are loose in your ear and the sound is weak and tinny? That’s what it sounds like.

Actually there is one way to get fairly decent sound out of them, and that’s to stick your fingers in your ears. Then it sounds OK. But that kind of defeats the whole point, and one might as well just wear headphones. I imagine if I didn’t have open fit style, the sound would be better.

Additionally, the aids do not cut out the microphones when you are listening to music. So external sounds intrude on the music. In fact I believe that the aids actually turn off the noise reduction programming when music is on. So not only are you getting external sounds mixed with the music, but I would swear they get worse when the music is on. If I am in the car for example, and start playing music, it seems like the car and road noises get worse.

Phone rings and other alert tones do not play in the hearing aids

This is a real negative for these hearing aids. Your phone rings and other alert tones (text message, email, etc.) do not play in your hearing aids.

Seriously I have more problems not hearing my phone ring than I do hearing on a phone call. So these offer me absolutely no help to let me know my phone is ringing in my pocket, or that I’m getting a text. Very disappointed about this.

Using the phone as a remote mic

This is the ability to channel the phone’s mic sounds directly into the aids, letting you place the phone somewhere as a remote sound feed.

At first I thought this might be useful for watching television, but in fact it’s not that great. Specifically, there is a lag (small delay) between when you hear sound coming from the phone. The lag itself isn’t what’s bad, it’s the fact that you’re also hearing the original sound via the aids at the same time, and it has no lag. So what you get is an annoying echo effect. I haven’t tried it in a meeting at work, but probably won’t bother because I know that lag will be there.

Other phone audio (videos, YouTube, games, etc.)

This is the ability of the phone to play other audio directly to the hearing aids.

If you watch a YouTube video, a movie, play some games or other activities, you can hear the sound directly in the hearing aids. This has been really nice, as I can sit in bed at night and play a game or watch some video and not bother my wife. And I don’t have to mess with headphones. It’s not great audio, but it’s not bad.

Color options

Much to my disappointment, the initial color offerings for the BTE part were just your average skin and hair color options. This was sad. This is a “hey we think you want to hide your hearing aids” color selection. Now I’m stuck with black and will probably have to pay for something more interesting whenever it becomes available.

Why does ReSound have to presume that people want to (or should) hide their hearing aids? I want blue! I want red! Hell I would love it if they would LIGHT UP! I WANT people to know that I wear them.

Hearing aid manufacturers are like glasses frame makers back in the 60’s, when those basic black frames were what you got. Come on ReSound, give me some bling here! Get Polo and Ralph Lauren to design hearing aids. We’re already spending thousands on them, what’s a couple hundred more to make something that looks neat?

Hacking potential!

I’ve played around a bit with some BLE apps for my iPhone that let me query them at a low level. The aids are giving me lots of data back, though I’m not quite sure yet what it all is. I’m assuming it’s all the current settings, etc.

Based on this, I’m betting I could reverse engineer the protocols between the hearing aids and the phone, and look into making my own app for a few features. I’m wondering if I couldn’t program in something to make phone calls and other alerts play via the aids, or modify a program.

I also know that the aids can be programmed wirelessly, as that’s what my audiologist does. So yes, I might screw them up and maybe need to have their firmware reset, but that’s what hackers do. I seriously wonder if there is any licensing clause that forbids this?

See also “Geek cred” above.

My want/what were they thinking!? list

1. Make phone rings and other notification sounds play into my hearing aids. The fact that this doesn't happen is a huge flaw in my book. Other hearing aids with phone integration using separate devices allow this. I can't fathom why this feature isn't available.
  2. Allow me to separately control the volume for the notification tones. They are WAY TOO LOUD.
  3. Allow me to selectively modify or remove the notification tones. I DO NOT need 10 beeps in my ear every time I turn on my hearing aids to know they are on. All I have to do is brush my fingers on them to hear the rustle to know they are on.
  4. Turn off the mic when listening to music, making calls, or streaming other audio. I use the aids as a HIGHLY convenient alternative to headphones, and like headphones I'm more interested in hearing what comes in, not what's coming from outside. Cognitively, it is very confusing to try and process two sound streams at once. Functionally, you are streaming audio into the aids because you want to hear THAT audio only, not blend it with outside sounds.

My nice to have list

1. Let me modify my audio programs myself. I don't know what is needed until I'm in the situation where I need an alternate program. None of the ones I have really work well when I'm in a typical large conference table meeting at work. It's been very inefficient for me to make a trip to my audiologist where I try and describe the problem, they do a tweak, I try them out, back to work, try it, and go "Nope, not yet".
  2. Give me an advanced settings option where I can selectively enable and disable various features. I want to be able to disable the aid mics, noise reduction systems, etc. And when I get a certain configuration I like, let me save it (see #1 above).

My neat if it had list

1. Ditch the tones - they are so old school. Look at all the cool tones I get to play with on my iPhone for notifications. Give me something like that to play with. I'd love to hear little musical sounds. Imagine "sad trombone" sound when the batteries are getting low even :)
  2. Get creative with the housing. I look at some of the neat earrings my daughter wears sometimes, and think "Why can't we have hearing aids that have that kind of style?"

Conclusion
I am truly glad I have hearing aids, and find them an absolute necessity to get through life. As advanced aids, the Lynx have been great, and no complains about them as hearing aids. They have a lot of technical potential, however the phone integration could be better.

I have been watching the initial reports on these aids and yours is very enlightening. Thank you. I feel this is a bit like the original iPhone, they mostly got it right and have evolved it since then. If you can share what is the price you paid for these and where did you get them? Have you had any visits to re-tune them?

RJF

— Updated —

I have been watching the initial reports on these aids and yours is very enlightening. Thank you. I feel this is a bit like the original iPhone, they mostly got it right and have evolved it since then. If you can share what is the price you paid for these and where did you get them? Have you had any visits to re-tune them?

RJF

[quote=Bobfa;108561]I have been watching the initial reports on these aids and yours is very enlightening. Thank you. I feel this is a bit like the original iPhone, they mostly got it right and have evolved it since then. If you can share what is the price you paid for these and where did you get them? Have you had any visits to re-tune them?

Cost was around $5500 with insurance covering around $4200 (thank you semi-enlightened HR department). I got them through an audiologist office in Oregon. I probably am paying more, but I like that they are very responsive. If some little part has a problem, they just take care of it for me no charge. So far just one adjustment on them, but probably needs another. For adjusting programs, I’d rather just do it myself honestly. Especially if I could do it live via my phone.

Just to comment on some of the issues you brought up in your review, all the notification tones can be turned off or reduced in volume by your audi. The 10-second startup delay can be changed to 5 seconds or eliminated completely. You can mute the hearing aid microphones using the Smart app when talking on the phone or listening to music. Your audi can increase the noise reduction setting in the streaming program. And the red and blue shell colors should be available by the end of May.

Good to know. I don’t think they knew you could do that honestly.

How does one mute the mic? Not seeing any such option when I start up my phone’s music player, in the hearing aids control (triple click phone button), or in the phone’s pop up control panel.

Hello~First time poster here. Stumbled onto this site while researching objective reviews of the ReSound Linx. We are in the process of purchasing new HA for our 14 y/o daughter who has been wearing HAs since she was 6 mos old. We’ve had her current pair of Phonaks for 7+ years, and they have been a great product. Now that she is older, she is interested in an aid that has bluetooth and streaming capabilities (mostly for listening to music, television, and talking on the phone). She does not want to wear any accessories around her neck/attached to her in order to utilize her phone, ipod, etc. The audi suggested the Linx. She is very excited about the ground-breaking technology, but she admits that she has a lot to learn about the product. She does not have any current clients using the Linx, so we don’t have the benefit of getting their feedback on this product.

A few questions for those who posted on this thread:

1. Durability? She is active/athlete and participates in sports that sometimes involve “contact” (basketball and soccer). Her BTE Phonaks are much larger and bulkier than these. She is thrilled to get something smaller and more discreet, but I am wondering how well they stay in place on someone who is active. We also need something that can withstand wind, rain, etc.

2. Sound? If the main purpose for purchasing this specific product is to listen to music, etc., is it worth it? From the post above, it sounds like the quality of sound when using the streaming function is not great?

3. Is it too mature? Does she need to be tech savvy to utilize the app (control sounds, settings)? I worry that she will mess up the settings and we will be frequenting the audi?

4. Quality when not using the streaming? Ambient noise? Directional noise? Background noise?

Any other feedback is greatly appreciated.

— Updated —

Hello~First time poster here. Stumbled onto this site while researching objective reviews of the ReSound Linx. We are in the process of purchasing new HA for our 14 y/o daughter who has been wearing HAs since she was 6 mos old. We’ve had her current pair of Phonaks for 7+ years, and they have been a great product. Now that she is older, she is interested in an aid that has bluetooth and streaming capabilities (mostly for listening to music, television, and talking on the phone). She does not want to wear any accessories around her neck/attached to her in order to utilize her phone, ipod, etc. The audi suggested the Linx. She is very excited about the ground-breaking technology, but she admits that she has a lot to learn about the product. She does not have any current clients using the Linx, so we don’t have the benefit of getting their feedback on this product.

A few questions for those who posted on this thread:

1. Durability? She is active/athlete and participates in sports that sometimes involve “contact” (basketball and soccer). Her BTE Phonaks are much larger and bulkier than these. She is thrilled to get something smaller and more discreet, but I am wondering how well they stay in place on someone who is active. We also need something that can withstand wind, rain, etc.

2. Sound? If the main purpose for purchasing this specific product is to listen to music, etc., is it worth it? From the post above, it sounds like the quality of sound when using the streaming function is not great?

3. Is it too mature? Does she need to be tech savvy to utilize the app (control sounds, settings)? I worry that she will mess up the settings and we will be frequenting the audi?

4. Quality when not using the streaming? Ambient noise? Directional noise? Background noise?

Any other feedback is greatly appreciated.

Durability seems fine from my experience. I’m trusting that they are good quality and I’m not going to worry about them too much. Ask me what I think after I back from Burning Man though :wink:

For streaming sound (music), I have not had good experiences personally. If I want to really listen to music, I put on some noise cancelling headphones and immerse. However I have a hunch that if you have the kind that do a full mold insert into the ear that completely plugs it, the music is going to be much better.

Tech savvy? No. If she’s got an iPhone and knows how to use it, I’d say she’ll be just fine.

Quality seems great. It’s been a huge plus for me on getting these, going from one old aid (when I should have had two) to two good ones. No complaints at all when it comes to serving as HAs.

Thinking about it, having to go see my audiologist to go adjust the tone volume and such is honestly annoying. I should be able to do that myself. It’s a bit like having to go into the AT&T store to adjust the ring volume of my phone. I know it can be done via software using BLE in the audiologists office, and I know my iPhone does BLE, so I know it could be done via the phone too.

Thanks for the detailed review, i was really hoping these new aids might offer some real advantages but it appears that that is not the case. My first and most important criteria for a Hearing Aid is to improve my hearing, sadly it seems like the Lynx is more about gimmicks that dont work than adding clarity and better sound. I hope the addition of gimmicks isnt a new direction for HA providers. They should be concentrating on improving clarity with natural sound first and foremost. The trend to gimmicks seems like a way to make aids cool which is fine i guess as long as the gimmicks work. I was really hoping that the external mic (via iphone) would work as that would be a great feature for restuarants etc. Some of the other stuff I just shake my head about, I mean, how does anyone actually lose a hearing aid???
Anyway, thanks again for the review, looks like i will be keeping my aids and continue to wait for something that is a significant improvement in sound quality.
cheers

I would like to say that the Linx are very capable hearing aids and work in many different invironments. If you considsr them gimmicky, i would recommend you getting something else. My Linx work very well in many invironments and i wouldn’t cal, them gimmicky but empowering in that I now get some control over the settings instead of depending in my input to an audioligist getting interpreted correctly.

i just picked up my Linx 9 and am having a few issues.

First an issue with the iPhone and clip. If i phone directly from my iPhone, my iPhone automatically sends auto to “Stephen’s Hearing A” and within a few seconds (about 3 as discussed above) i hear the call in both HA. However, if i double click on the click, the phone dials the last number dial as it should, but sends the auto out to “Hearing Aid Phone” and I have to change it manually to “Stephen’s Hearing A” to hear the phone – which defeats the purpose of the double click.

Second i have the mic. I have paired it with my laptop and see that the output for sound is the hearing aids but there is nothing. If i use the mic simple as a mic i have sound to the HA. Was i wrong in thinking that I could use the mic as a go between the laptop and the HA. if i connect the mic via the input connection it does stream the laptop to the HA.

On the iPhone apps … the one called “Control” – it does not find programs: It says " the app is not connected to the hearing system." But there are programs: All round; Restaurant; Phone.

Finally, i have the three programs All round; Restaurant; Phone – does anyone have suggestions for other programs I should get my audio to add…

thanks

— Updated —

i just picked up my Linx 9 and am having a few issues.

First an issue with the iPhone and clip. If i phone directly from my iPhone, my iPhone automatically sends auto to “Stephen’s Hearing A” and within a few seconds (about 3 as discussed above) i hear the call in both HA. However, if i double click on the click, the phone dials the last number dial as it should, but sends the auto out to “Hearing Aid Phone” and I have to change it manually to “Stephen’s Hearing A” to hear the phone – which defeats the purpose of the double click.

Second i have the mic. I have paired it with my laptop and see that the output for sound is the hearing aids but there is nothing. If i use the mic simple as a mic i have sound to the HA. Was i wrong in thinking that I could use the mic as a go between the laptop and the HA. if i connect the mic via the input connection it does stream the laptop to the HA.

On the iPhone apps … the one called “Control” – it does not find programs: It says " the app is not connected to the hearing system." But there are programs: All round; Restaurant; Phone.

Finally, i have the three programs All round; Restaurant; Phone – does anyone have suggestions for other programs I should get my audio to add…

thanks

I don’t have the clip device so I cannot speak to those problems. As for the iPhone app and the screen called “Control”, I don’t see that screen in my ReSound Smart App. Did you download the correct app? I have an iPhone 5S. If you have a 4S or 5, you may have a different program and functionality than what I have.
I only have “All Around”, “Restaurant” and “Music” programs so far. I have an appointment tomorrow for an adjustment and plan to ask my audiologist if she can add some fuller sound to the Music program by using the Sound Shaper (from another post on this forum) to see if the music can be fuller and not so tinny. Sorry, I haven’t been able to help more. What kind of iPhone do you have and what is your App called?

This is great! I am also a “hearing aid evangelist” and will use the term. I get questions about the tek around my neck and show off the rig, which would be more fun with my iPhone. I am also an early adopter (I am one of the first people to ever write a novel on a computer!) Our first Apple was an Apple II, I think. I usually buy the second version–like the 2nd iPhone, the 2nd Kindle and I was thinking the 2nd Linx…until I lost one aid. This is the first time I found out you can find the aid by GPS! It would have saved my butt on my trip last week. I walked out of the hotel into a windy plaza and they were gone. Searched everywhere. But with GPS I could have found them. (Does anyone else have nightmares about lost or drowned HAs?) I found a really good price on these online, about 40% less than the local price. And yes, I want colors and a blinky light feature for parties.
I will have more questions soon, but my first are:

1. How is the latency issue with speech?
  2. How is it with speech?
  3. How wide a range do you get with volume control?

— Updated —

This is great! I am also a “hearing aid evangelist” and will use the term. I get questions about the tek around my neck and show off the rig, which would be more fun with my iPhone. I am also an early adopter (I am one of the first people to ever write a novel on a computer!) Our first Apple was an Apple II, I think. I usually buy the second version–like the 2nd iPhone, the 2nd Kindle and I was thinking the 2nd Linx…until I lost one aid. This is the first time I found out you can find the aid by GPS! It would have saved my butt on my trip last week. I walked out of the hotel into a windy plaza and they were gone. Searched everywhere. But with GPS I could have found them. (Does anyone else have nightmares about lost or drowned HAs?) I found a really good price on these online, about 40% less than the local price. And yes, I want colors and a blinky light feature for parties.
I will have more questions soon, but my first are:

1. How is the latency issue with speech?
  2. How is it with speech?
  3. How wide a range do you get with volume control?

Great post Holtt … I also had a Mac in 1984 :slight_smile:

I got Linx 9’s last week … my loss is moderate in the 3-4k range only … my wife also got them week earlier, her loss is moderate everywhere, both of us are first time HA wearers.

I have two key points for this post:

1. Her audiologist gave her the ‘all-around’ as the primary program, and she had lots of trouble…her description was that everything was overwhelming, regardless of the volume. We switched audiologists (long story for another post), and he was much more tech savvy and put us both in the ‘soft-switch’ program, and this was a DRAMATIC difference … apparently, this one uses the smarts on the hearing aids and improves the sound much more than the ‘all-around’ one.
  2. I have two iphone 5’s, one personal and one for work … I suspect there are many like me. I had both paired up at one point, but today I am completely unable to pair the HA’s with my work phone. I have turned them on/off, disconnected the devices, ‘forget this device’, etc … any ideas? I find the resound manuals pure marketing in that they have little useful info other than recommending that you ‘see your audiologist’. I have used other bluetooth devices, such as a Jabra headset, that can automatically switch between two phones based on which one was being used, why can’t these do that?

The All-Around and Softswitch programs have exactly the same gain settings, so changing programs doesn’t explain the dramatic difference. Perhaps your new audi set the experience level to new user instead of experienced user, thereby reducing the gain. Or maybe he turned on the acceptance manager which starts with a lower gain and then slowly ramps up to 100 percent over 4 weeks. Regardless, All-Around is the superior choice because it enables Binaural Directionality, one of the main features of the LiNX 9.

Did you try resetting your iPhone by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for 10 seconds?

interesting comment about the ‘all around’ vs ‘softswitch’ … where do you find out what each of the programs do? The Audi did NOT do the new user thing, we discussed that and preferred to control the gain ourselves.

I did not reset the iPhone, but I did turn it on & off several times … I was able to resync to the personal iPhone any number of times, but not my work iPhone … I have now turned off the HAs for several hours, it is my thought that the problem may be that the HA’s need to be reset somehow so that they are willing to pair somewhere else. If that doesn’t work, I will try the ‘reset’ and post the answer.

I’ve had my pair- off and on - for about 3 weeks. I lost one (long story) and have been trying different fittings. I’m currently using custom molds and have very mixed feelings about these.

They are my first HAs. I’m 60. I have mild to moderate loss and suffer from tinnitus and a little hyperacusis. To make the fitting challenging I have osteomas (surfer’s ear) in both ears with more in the right (the one with more loss and tinnitus).

I went to Costco first and got tested and walked around the store with a set of theirs for a bit. After learning that it comes with this remote to change programs and you can get this other device which hangs around your neck to use with your phone- I decided I’d look for the Linx.

The original fitting was not very comfortable, but the main problem is they wouldn’t stay in my ears. Start chewing and they’d be out in no time. The custom molds stay in but it’s still uncomfortable. I can never forget they are in my ears and the right one is sore by the end of the day. And now I get a plugged echo when I chew or talk.

Because of the fit issues and my lack of experience, I still can’t reliably say how they are helping overall. At first I could say that because of the new amplification at high frequencies I found the tinnitus being masked. That doesn’t appear to last over time.

When in normal operation, I get frequent feedback signals when just listening to music in my office. Certain notes can cause it consistently. It’s only the left side now that I’m wearing custom molds. If I turn the HA volume down to 35% I can get it to stop. It doesn’t seem to happen in open air circumstances.

Tech
The bluetooth is erratic. I’ve had to re-pair a few times. Seems more stable now.

The music streaming feature is absolutely terrible. If I plug my ears over the HAs with swimmer’s wax I can get some sound depth. If I mute the HA’s with the smart app it sounds a little better. With those mods it’s acceptable - but kludgy. Then I put the phone in my pocket and the bluetooth signal turns to mush. It’s like the music is playing under water with some constant boing in the background. Perhaps the new iPhone will address this issue. They should not even promote this feature. It is just terrible at this point.

The phone connection is a bit kludgy, as well. After learning to pause on answer until you hear the aids kick-in, it’s workable. The caller is stuck wonder what’s going on. Using the phone as the mic is unfortunate, but acceptable.

I agree with holtt on the feature list, notifications, phone ring, etc.

I was excited about the ability to make adjustments to settings as I learn the contraption and what works under certain settings. The controls in the “smart” app are extremely limited. The audi software “Aventa 3” is available but the airlink interface dongle is not easy to come by (and likely expensive). And curiously, it appears that the first “made for apple iPhone” hearing aids need a PC to run the software.

Any advice is welcome. I’m unsure how to proceed.
I think below is a translation of my audiogram.

250	500	1k	1.7k	2k	2.7k	4k	7k	8k

L 15 15 25 25 25 35 45 40 50
R 10 15 30 20 35 45 50 50 40[quote][/quote]

Assuming it was the Kirkland Signature 5 that you first tried at Costco, it can do most of what the Linx can do, but it requires the use of the Phone Clip+, which I think you can just carry in your pocket for playing music; though you do have to speak into it for phone calls. Maybe it would be worth checking that one out again to see if it works better than the Linx. Just an idea - I haven’t personally used the Linx or Phone Clip.

I’ve just got to add my few cents here. I’ve recently picked up a set of GN Resound Linx 961 hearing aids. I’m not completely sure what my loss numbers are (everyone seems to have them posted here) but my audiologist tells me that I have significant to severe loss depending on the ear though I’ve been dealing with it for 17 years after my stapedectomy). The again, my linx are using the NP receiver with an open dome. However, I am a former musician and am currently an IT professional so I do have at least a unique understanding of how to “deal” with some of the issues I’m seeing here. Here are a few observations that I’ve had in my three weeks with the Linx 961 and a single follow up adjustment (I average 18 hours a day even though I am a first time hearing aid user). Now, having said that I’m having a difficult time figuring out how I managed life before having these things! I mean, I know how I did it. It just blows my mind!

Sound Quality
OK, I am a first time Hearing Aid user. However, having formerly been a musician I can tell you that the sound quality of these are great, once you get them adjusted properly. I am learning very quickly (form research mostly) that your audiologist/hearing aid specialist REALLY needs to know what they are doing when setting these things up. While I would have assume that was a given, I’m seeing posts all over the place here that reflect a very different reality.

SMART APP
• I hate to say this, but the SMART app is slow and doesn’t provide that much. 90% of the functions it provides are covered by Apples built in “Hearing Aid” settings available in the accessibility options. (triple click of the home button). This means that the ONLY two things that ReSounds SMART app gives you are 1) the ability to “locate” your missing hearing devices and 2) set GPS locations for automatic program switching. If you don’t use either of those regularly then just use Apples built in options. The same goes for the “TruLink” application used by other manufactures. That said, TruLink is a bit faster and prettier with the same feature set.

Streaming/Pairing
•OK, so you have to be SUPER CAREFUL when initially pairing the Linx to an iOS device. From what I understand there is a very special “token” that is accepted by the Linx itself on first pairing. If ANYTHING attempts to stream audio to the hearing aids during this initial pairing you’re GOING to experience horribly annoying disconnections and difficult repairings

• No matter what “programs” you’ve had setup, when you stream a new, otherwise non-selectible program called “iPhone” (or, I would imaging, iPad or iPod touch if that’s what you were streaming from). This leads to a lot of these streaming complaints. Users here have noted that audio can sound “tinny” and that the hearing aids often give way to non streaming sounds. This is, in part because there is a separate “program” for streaming that your hearing aid specialist needs to set. A lot don’t seem to know about it even after being trained. By default ALL of the great features from All-Around are turned off on the streaming “program”. So, whoever is programming these for you can turn on all of these great settings and get the sound you expect back. FYI, the tinny sound seems to come from the combination of the “inverse wave” (Noise Cancelation) being turned off and the hearing aids prioritizing external sounds over the streaming audio. Good news on that second part as well. You can adjust the “priority” of the streaming audio over external sounds.

I pay very, very close attention to the software that they were using during my consultation and feel that I know it pretty well. Full disclosure, I am an IT professional and tend to pay attention to these things.

Other Observations
• So the Linx seem to “drop out” when changing programs or streaming devices. It’s only a second or two, but this is normal behavior. Anything beyond that and you’re having an issue

• • The SMART app, also seemed to forget itself from time to time. This is A MAJOR annoyance BUT IT HAPPENING FOR A REASON (Read till the end on this) Here’s my example:

Before I adjusted everything and added a number of programs, I needed to pretty much shut off the mic’s on my left side while driving. There was too much wind noise and I couldn’t hear my audiobooks if I was streaming. I would open the SMART app, mute my left hearing aid and then swap back to my Audible app. Unfortunately, once I started streaming again the SMART app would activate my left hearing aid. What I didn’t realize is that each of these settings is only saved while you are on a specific “program”. When I would start streaming something from my phone I was actually telling the Linx to start the “iPhone” program which automatically reset the hearing aid levels as it is supposed to. It’s just that I never realized that my aids were switching programs when you start any new stream (hence the temporary “off time” that the aids go through while switching programs).

So, with that said. In this weird stream of consciousness blurb (during office hours so it’s been sporadic) I hope I’ve covered what most folks seem to be talking about in some form of reasonable manner.

Thoughts?

P.S. I kind of refuse to purchase any of the GN Resound accessories so I can’t talk about the phone clip or the streamer.

This is my 8th day with the ReSound LiNX 961. So far it been a love-hate relationship. Lost Pairing (for no apparent reason) is my biggest complaint. Have tried several work around to re-establish connection to no avail. End up doing a full reboot on iPhone.

Audi set up 4 preset programs; 1 Everyday, 2 Restaurant, 3 Traffic and 4 Outdoor. Have not noticed any discernible difference between program 2 & 3 when compared to 1.

Battery usage similar to previous aids. Doubt that battery indicator in ReSound’s App if functional. Constantly indicates full charge till aids shut down.

Time spent tweaking and making adjustment pays vast dividends. Intend to ask Audi to make these changes the default settings on next follow-up visit.

Hopefully when Apple releases ios 8 this Fall, the lost paring issue will be resolved.

Overall I am really pleased with the performance of these aids.

New things (for me) to get used to:

1. When answering incoming call, wait till HA’s have established connection before speaking.
  2. Taking advantage of the Treble and Bass adjustments in the ReSound App.
  3. Remembering to save location after getting adjustment set to my liking.

— Updated —