Resound Future - static noise while driving

Don: I’m assuming that when you stated midrange noise you mean frequency wise, so expansion won’t help much, but why not adjust your EO II values for moderate and loud noise for program one? It probably wouldn’t take much to stop the annoyance (at least I’m assuming it’s an annoyance from your other post)?

bikey: This also brings up a good point about your programming. It might be worth checking just to make certain that these EO II values haven’t been jacked through the roof. Also, it’s worth noting that there shouldn’t be more than a 3dB difference between adjacent columns (in both EO II and NT II). If it can’t be adjusted, and you return with settings, please get the EO II valuess and also the MPO values (especially for 1k through 3k).

That’s probably it, Battery. It is probably shifting into an environment that is not working very well. I don’t think we have looked at those setting since the first fitting.

Hey Bikey, any news?

I had a big adjustment session yesterday and they made some adjustments that may relate to your situation. The audiologist got a Resound rep on the line and they did two main things. First, they adjusted down the compression. Most of my compression numbers were in the 1.8 to 2.3 range and they set those 50 and 80 compressions down to 1.3 to 1.5. They called it going more linear since I don’t have recruitment issues and like it loud.

The other thing they did, and maybe Battery can explain this, is set one of the other settings from something like “depends on the environment” to “Considerable”. Battery, it is on the list of things like EO II, ND II, etc., near the bottom of the list. I’m sure I have the parameter described wrong but it was set to something that depended on a situation or another setting and they changed it to “considerable” (I may have that named wrong also). They didn’t mess with the rest of the settings on that page.

I was getting some hollow sounding voices or distorted sound when there was a lot of consistent background noise, like air movement or humming from equipment. The air movement or humming sound was very prominent. Anyway, the adjustments made the background whishing sounds seem normal now. The sound seems more natural and less electronic.

Update: The adjustments made have definitely cleared up some harsh background sounds and made the overall sound, for lack of a better word, more rich and full.

Don: This was Noise Tracker II. I think it was a very good idea to switch it from “per Environment” to Considerable. It was told to me (and I completely agree) that most people don’t notice the benefit of the spectral subtraction algorithms until selecting the minimum level of “considerable” (only avail in the Alera 7 and 9, with the 9 also have one more step stronger called “strong”). Odd enough is that only the 9 has the “per Environment” but, IMHO, they need better training on how to use it.

That’s it, Noise tracker changed from per environment to considerable.

I will also agree with you that I am one who did not notice the benefit of the spectral subtraction algorithms. :slight_smile:

Hopefully you are now, lol. The biggest issue (not the only) is that there are sliders for each environment that control noise reduction from 0 dB to -10 dB. A setting of considerable is -8 dB and strong is -10dB. Thus, it’s easy to see why this often becomes a problem (that the reps usually solve by recommending to just select the considerable or strong menu option).

Last week I went to my audi and he make changes Noise tracker II from per environment to Strong (alera 9 feature) and then to considerable. Both the settings did not help when I go out and drive the car. He also changed the compression ratio but that did not help either.
I want to let everyone know that on this left side of HA, I have high power dome RIC and right side has normal dome RIC.
Audi thinks that the antena is some how interfering with noise and due to it is high power, it amplifies higher. It just not happening only in the car but in elivator or if there is high wind outside then I hear same static noise.
I did tried costco kirkland and Bernafon Verite and they both did not make that static noise in the car. The Audi has worked with Resound support people while I was there but no avail. He is going to talk with resound main engineer and try to find out the issue and it’s resolution. Or else I will go with either Kirkland or Bernafon.
Now question will be which one I should go, Kirkland or Bernafon?

Changing the setting to a lower value won’t help to troubleshoot it. The setting (and also DFS Ultra) needs to be completely disabled (not lowered) and the test re-run. Again, you won’t need to keep these settings disabled, it will just be used to determine if it’s a programming issue.

What antenna? The 2.4Ghz wireless one? Or maybe he’s referring to the receiver wire? Both of my instruments have the high power receivers and I don’t have interference or noise.

Well, I’m not sure what I would do. I tried the Kirklands (Rexton Cobalts 16) and REALLY liked them. The sound was great (after the 5th adjustment), they were loaded with features, better in-noise performance than anything else I’ve tried, and came with a charger where you just drop them in at night. I was trying to stay with an open fit and with my loss we could never get them just right where there was no feedback. If I had gone with a custom mold I’m sure I would still be in those.

I tried the Bernafon’s briefly in the store and they would probably work too.

But, I wouldn’t give up on the Resounds unless you are just done with the hassle. My Resounds are settling in now and the main program works so well I rarely change programs, unless maybe it is a really difficult background situation. Otherwise I go for days and don’t touch them.

What antenna? The 2.4Ghz wireless one? Or maybe he’s referring to the receiver wire? Both of my instruments have the high power receivers and I don’t have interference or noise.
Yes, the 2.4 GHZ wireless one. He says it is good for programming the HA wirelessly. He thinks it may be caching up some noise.
I am going to call him and set up an appointment and try the Disable option and see if that helps to eliminate and find the problem - is it programming issue or device itself?
Bernafon has larger high power RIC and that makes me little worried. I tried in the store and that thing is big.
Kirkland are fine too and don’t see any issue with them.
Yes, I do like Resound and would like to keep it if they can fix this static noise as currently, I can’t wear the left side in the car and that is not good as my left ear hearing is more weaker then right one.

I’m sorry to say, but this is completely incorrect. The transceiver’s data stream is error coded, thus if it receives data (interference, noise, etc) that it thinks might be intended for it, but it can’t make sense of it, you will hear low frequency “bonks”.

As for it being the device or a programming issue, it would be EXTREMELY simple to clone up a demo unit (with another HP receiver) and let you drive around the block.

If it’s worth anything, I’m 99% sure this can be worked out. What good is a hearing aid that you can’t wear inside a car? I have been wearing hearing aids for decades and have never had to remove one when driving/riding inside a car! Currently I have Alera 9s with HP receivers on both ears and they are wonderful inside the cars and trucks alike.

I just got a call from Costco Audi. He is working with Resound Engineer and they do have something to try out. He will call me back to set up an appointment.
Yes, I did try out another trial resound with clone to my original program and it also make that static noise so I think, it is not my left side Ha but something wrong with programming or all togather with Resound software? But like you mentioned, you are wearing Alera 9 and you do not have any issue in any locations so I don’t know at this time. Let’s see if he can have Resound engineer work with us when I have my appointment set up.

Glad to hear it! Didn’t know about the clone, but that follows my original line of thinking… it’s a programming issue!

The Audi says he doubt it is programming issue. He ask me to try the airplane mode and it still have the static noise so he is kind of telling me to go with Kirkland or Barnafon. He thinks the antena is causing the problem and Resound Engineer even is confused.
Back to square one? Go with Kirkland or Bernafon? I really like these resound future but if they can not resolve the issue then I will be forced to go with others.

I am schedule to pick up the Kirkland brand HA on next Tuesday 6/14 as it seems that Resound engineers don’t have any answer to my static noise problem. They are aware of this issue as other user may have reported to them also.
Let’s see how these Kirkland works.

Sorry to say, but I have to disagree with your audi. The antenna interference concept never made any sense. However, the fact that the problem was still there when the wireless was completely turned off (airplane mode), and that it continued to happen when additional instruments (known to be working correctly) where cloned, clearly points to a programming issue!

I used to get the exact same noise during takeoff and landing when flying. We played around with the settings on one of the programs, making adjustments to that program every time I flew somewhere. Eventually we found out the (programming) cause and applied the minor changes to all of the programs/modes. Now it never happens.

I have to agree with Battery. If it was a software error we would all be getting it.

I had some loud background sounds at first, so road noise would get picked up and sound something like static. The audiologist adjusted it out and all I can tell you about that is that during that session the compression was lowered but I know she did some other things as well.

I still put my money on an adjustment issue but the Kirkland Signatures (actually Rexton Cobalt 16) are great aids and I would still be in those if not for trying to stay with an open fit. Had a little feedback that could not get adjusted out and keep the gain up where I need it. I was ready to have a custom mold and keep the KSs and my audio said she thought she could keep me in an open fit with the Resound. She was right.

I wouldn’t care success or failure, for I will only struggle ahead as long as I have been destined to the distance. I wouldn’t care the difficulties around, for what I can leave on the earth is only their view of my back since I have been marching toward the horizontal.

Hi there,
I have been trying the Alera and I am having the same problem. The static noise is mainly evident when I am driving the car (although is still present when the engine is on but the car stopped) but in my case affects both hearing aids and is soo loud I cant hear the kids or the radio properly. My audilogist dont know how to help neither the GNResound in Australia. Have you worked out what is it? Or have you changed to another aid? Any help appreciated. Thanks.