Reshape receiver wire on Phonak Audéo Marvel?

The new Marvel receiver wires are harder to permanently manipulate with heat than other manufacturers. Most of the time you can go back to your AuD and if they have stock of receivers they can find one or two that has a slightly different bend. Also if your Marvels were shipped to the AuD with the receivers already being attached (something I really hate), the box they put them in can alter the shape.

A heat gun will manipulate best while immediately applying an alcohol wipe to the altered area of the wire.

LTHAtlanta
how did it work out for you?

I received my Marvels only about three weeks ago. One of the first things I noticed was the cShells were pointed to the rear, and require me to twist them around in order to insert into my ear canals.

This seemed unusual, until I realized that when I turn the cShells around for insertion, they cause a slight twist in the wires which gently direct the aids toward my skull. I like to imagine this is by design. Good luck!

now that is an interesting observation Stevyn. I do believe that when I twist my domes as I think you are describing, I get a similar improvement in the bend. Too bad that they won’t stay in that position.

So, its been a few years.

Has anyone successfully figured out how to reshape the wires?

Thanks for refreshing my old thread! It’s still the worst thing about my aids.

Sadly I never did make it happen. Several times I thought of asking my audiologist for some old receivers to play with but didn’t want to alarm her about my doing something to “damage” my aids while under warranty.

I did play with applying some heat but was too timid with it. I know that’s the answer just didn’t come up with a solution to determine the safe temperature or to reliably hold that temperature…

I have hoped to come across a phonak factory person at a trade show or something to ask, but so far haven’t had the opportunity.

2 Likes

Just had an appointment with my audiologist. She told me about several failed attempts by other patients. All involving excess heat and melted plastic.

She claimed that there’s no way to reshape the wires.

I can’t believe no one has found a way to reshape the wire. Nothing here or on YouTube. Every product modification ever conceived is posted on YouTube. :rofl:

what I can’t beleive is that the manufacturers don’t sell a tool so that the audi’s can do it safely.
My audi also said no way to do it… one of those laughable kind of statements.

I imagine a precise temperature controlled curling iron would do the trick quite nicely.

1 Like

Did you see this: https://forum.hearingtracker.com/t/reshaping-resound-rie-receiver-wires/23282/3?

1 Like

To bad there wasn’t a follow up post describing success or failure

2 Likes

@haggis: Are yiu sure you’re wearing the hearing aids in the right ears? Blue/left , red/right?

1 Like

Agreed. All I want is to do make them conform better to the shape of my ears. Just to make the wires a bit more hidden…

I can’t believe that the wires aren’t able to be reshaped…

below is how I curl my receiver wires to my Resound 1’s, I wear a 4 length of because I like HA’s down further on the back of my ears …

I was about to “thumbs-up” your original post at the top of the thread here … cuz I can TOTALLY relate to your situation. No matter what’s at Youtube or anything posted here, I honestly believe that there is NO way to custom-bend an ear wire to fit our heads in a cosmetically pleasing fashion. You either have the perfect head shape so the wire lays flat or you don’t. And I DON’T.

That said, I have to share a couple things I’ve tried: first, I tried twisting the ear tip 180 degrees, then inserting it into my ear canal. The result was a beatiful, flat fitting wire!!! But. The tension in that ear wire is so terrific that the behind-ear unit would literally “FLIP THE BEAN!” and fly up and over my head to dangle like a low-hung fruit in front of my ear. :angry: Definitely not the look I wanted.

Then, I read right on this forum about ear wire lengths being available in short, medium or long. In fact, there is a paper chart audis can use to see what length is best for their patients. My current earwires were LONG. So I asked my current audi to change out just the wire to one that was a size shorter? She did, and voila! That goofy looping wire has pretty much vanished.

You could also try changing the length of your earwire, but I did find that sound quality was ever so slightly compromised. Maybe cuz the new, shorter ear wire prevents the speakers from seating deeper in the ear canal? It’s subtle, but noticeable to me.

Thing is: earwires ARE a critical component to the total hearing aid solution. No thought is given to the cosmetic look/fit of these wires. It’s like telling folks: “We sell S, M or L hiking boots here. So find the best fit and then go on your 20-mi hike!” Good luck not getting a blister.

1 Like

Although I have had minimal success with reshaping the wire, I have had great success by altering the position of my mold on the receiver. I have concha locks on my custom molds so changing the orientation of the mold in my ear creates tension on the concha lock and keeps the mold from coming out slightly. Next time I’ll try to get my molds made differently.

@Ureout , what tools, methods, etc. do you use to curl your receiver wires?

I have the same issue as @bradw. The HIS at Costco reshaped the left reciever wire for my KS6 back in 2015 but has since retired. The new HIS at the local Costco either does not know how or is afraid to try to do the same for my new Jabras. I know its possible to solve the problem.

no tools, i just used my fingers curled the wire and squeezed it together… they do tend to open up a bit and about once a week I squeeze the curl again

3 Likes

I have a temp controlled soldering iron … and 260 F seems to be the correct temp to make bends in the wire.

This the one that I have :

https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Iron-Kit-Solder-Gun/dp/B07HMPQ3H7/ref=sr_1_15?crid=39OMFG64P75WZ&keywords=temp+controlled+soldering+iron&qid=1687809712&sprefix=%2Caps%2C118&sr=8-15

1 Like

My ‘gut’ was telling me it would be something like that…

I’d be curious to know more… so I’m picturing holding the wire against the iron, with a gloved hand a pad, or otherwise just quickly rubbing to heat a length of it, then quickly holding it somehow in the desired shape as it cools… how long in contact with the iron did you find to be enough to get it to loose it’s set? and then how fast do you have to be to get it into the proper curve before it takes the new shape?

This is the one that I have ;

https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Iron-Kit-Solder-Gun/dp/B07HMPQ3H7/ref=sr_1_15?crid=39OMFG64P75WZ&keywords=temp+controlled+soldering+iron&qid=1687809712&sprefix=%2Caps%2C118&sr=8-15

I just wrapped it around the tip where I wanted to bend it for about 30 sec. … took it off and held it for about 30 sec while it cooled

I had a scrap one that I practiced with before doing the actual ones .