Resale of hearing aides

My father-in-law purchased a new set of Oticon Agil AGXO K220 hearing aids in May 2010 shortly before a major heart surgery. Unfortuneately he passed away 2 months later from complications. He only used them while in the hospital and rehab. We would like to resell these to someone in need. I do not know much about hearing aids except we have the receipt and books etc. The receipt says the were manufactured in 2010 with a number (model I think) AGXO K220. We have a pair of them. It says digital, retail cost $6990. It says they were discounted down to $4900. There is a book that says it may be a “minirite” too. My question is does anyone know a good place to resell these or perhaps someone is interested in them. We would make a reasonable deal. We are in southern California. Any help is appreciated

I would suggest you contact the audiologist that sold him the aids. I recently upgraded my hearing aids and my audiologist took my old ones in trade, not unlike buying a new car.

Thank you. We tried that, but he said the date had past for returns. He suggested donation and we may go that way. We are hoping for a sale and would be open to a good discount to someone in need.

I’m sorry to hear about your father-in-law.

You can sell these aids on eBay. Selling very lightly used hearing aids of recent vintage in great condition, they have a good chance to get their fair market value, and your selling fees might run about 10% of what they sell for. Like new cars, hearing aids depreciate steeply just being driven off the lot. Even more than new cars, there would be additional sizable expenses a buyer of these would incur to make them wearable and properly adjusted for that buyer, and there may be no warranty coverage for a second owner. So I’m not suggesting you’ll sell them for anything close to what your father-in-law paid. But you will get some cash for them.

If you’ve never sold stuff on eBay, and I’m going to guess you haven’t or you’d have already listed them there, don’t start with these. Many buyers don’t trust new sellers especially with high-end items (which means a lower sales price), and new sellers can get scammed more easily than experienced ones. Especially with a valuable electronic item, there is risk of fraud where the seller loses both the item and the money, so be aware of that. New sellers are at much higher risk. Try to find a friend who would be willing to sell them and has completed several dozen eBay sales with has a 100% positive feedback rating. Disclose in the listing everything you know and can see about them except the serial number. (A potential buyer may request that you supply the serial number, to check with Oticon to be sure these aids have not been reported stolen, and that’s reasonable, but don’t provide the serial number in the auction listing, as that can lead to fraud.) Get good photos.

Thank you for your indepth response. I looked into the ebay idea. I have only sold 2 items on there. Craigslist has worked better for me in the past and I have them listed there now. Ebay has a significant process you have to go through for hearing aids including something from the audi. The audiologist is out of state, which makes everything more difficult. I have them listed for 25% less than what he paid for them, which is about 60% less than what the retail price is according to the receipt. Course you know how prices can go.

It would have been nice to find someone in need and give them a good deal. These must be very high quality considering the price, but I don’t know for sure. I will probably just donate them and take the tax write-off. I’m not that concerned on what I get for them. Don’t know who will end up with them I suppose. Again, thanks.

I am trying out a pair of these aids at present - an initial ‘try-out’ loan. They seem to be working fairly well, but with need of some tweaking, as is typical. I would be interested to know what price you would be willing to sell these for. My audiologist specializes in this type of aid but they are, as you are aware, prohibitively expensive. I am loathe to purchase as the outrageous markup price and was very pleased to see your posting when I did a google search. Looking forward to hearing from you.

ginny, be aware that if you buy a used pair of aids or get a pair of new aids on the Internet, some audiologists are not going to be willing to work with you to get them adjusted, because this kind of transaction is risky and time-consuming for an audiologist; others will do it (after they check the history of ownership of this pair of aids with Oticon to make sure it’s legit–they won’t do it with aids that have been reported lost/stolen, for example, which they can tell from the serial numbers). Those audiologists willing to do it will charge you for each adjustment appointment, a charge which is normally included for a time or for a certain number of appointments with the purchase of new hearing aids. This per-adjustment fee tends to make some owners, particularly those on a tight budget, very reluctant to go in for adjustments, which tends to make the hearing aids not work very well for those new owners. Most people need at least two or three adjustment appointments to get them set right. Some people need six or more.

Digital hearing aids are set to match the audiogram and the particular needs of each owner. Just a tiny adjustment can make a big difference in performance. Audiologists have the electronic gear to make the adjustments; owners do not have this for Agil Pros. Right now, these Agil Pros are set for the last owner. Those settings are very unlikely to be in synch with your own audiogram and special needs. You also need some training to learn how to set the things you can control on the aids properly and how to keep the aids working properly. The manufacturer warranty may be void for a second owner–you would need to check out Oticon’s policy. Charges to have one out-of-warranty digital hearing aid diagnosed and repaired can be high, as in $300-600 at minimum if anything electronic other than the battery is not working. You also may or may not get some other stuff you need for these aids that would normally be bundled in to the purchase when buying new.

For someone new to digital hearing aids, I think it’s really best to work with an audiologist, which may mean buying the aids from an audiologist. We have at least one guy posting here who is highly experienced with digital aids who buys aids like these. He knows what he’s doing and how to get them set correctly. He also buys them at a bigger discount than this poster is talking about (and I really do not have the expertise to judge the true market value of these aids, as TheAngels may be setting his resale price of these correctly; I just believe the poster here who does this buys lower than this on eBay, which affords him a bigger margin to get issues fixed). This works well for him. It doesn’t work for everybody. For me, your post, ginny, is flashing a warning light that you’re treading into new and risky ground for you.

I’d recommend going back to your audiologist and having a frank discussion about what you can and can’t afford if new Agil Pros are not affordable. If you’re determined to do this, be sure to line up an audiologist who will take these on, and you want to understand all the numbers, not just the discount on the sales price which is only part of your true costs, before buying this way.

I would like to buy them, but I am very limited in funds, so please let me know how much you want for them, I wear two tego oticom, and they are not helping me anymore, I have a profound hearing loss so I heard, that agils are the best. I am a teacher, and noise reduction would be a pleasure, my insurance wont cover anything, but i can get them fitted for me in Peru, where I am originally from. Please get back to me. I am really interested in them.
thanks

ginnypc,

I see someone who is far more knowledgeable than I on hearing aids has replied with cautious notes. Again, I do not not know anything about the workings and settings as he mentions, but I’m sure you 2 do. You should be very cautious indeed. I can assure you this is all legitimate and I can put you in touch with his audiologist etc. I believe he is in either the Lake Havasu AZ or Laughlin NV area. I am not at home or even in my home state at the moment to view the original sales recipt or I would tell you now. I do not know about warranty transfers as mention, but it does say it has a 3 year warranty on the receipt. If you are still interested, I would be happy to discuss more by phone etc. where I can get and give more information. I think you can send a private message to me through this site. Please do so and I will provide phone, email etc. as well as audioligist etc. Hopefully you might be located in the southwest as I am. It would be nice to meet for transaction purposes so we all feel safe and legitmate. Thank you.

As far as price, I believe I mentioned what value the receipt lists. I might consider other reasonable offers. They do sound incredibly high. I don’t know what others sell for. I may be donating these before the end of this year for tax purposes so if you or anyone is interested, you need to move quickly. Thank you.

have you sold the hearing aids yet?
May be interested

Someone mentioned donating old HA’s that are still in good usable shape. Can anyone tell me a good cause to donate to - preferably a veterans organization?

You can donate them to the Lion’s Club. Even though they are usually affiliated with the eyes they also accept hearing aids.

Thanks, Dick4295! They are still perfectly serviceable and I actually just had one of the receivers replaced. I will contact the Lyons Club.