REM Speech Mapping Number?

I’ve noticed that for soft sounds my hearing is worse with the aids. It seems I’m missing natural hearing and the aids may not be compensating. My REM speech mapping number for Soft (55dB) was 63 in both ears. I’ve read it should be above 70 or is that only for 65db speech? I also notice that for frequencies where I have loss (cookie bite), the REM average is below some of the targets. Does this mean more adjustment and another REM are needed?

Well at least for me REM has only been a starting point to make sure my aids are working properly. Once the REM is completed then my audiologist goes to work making adjustments so I can understand speech. My final adjustments looks nothing like the REM checks. By the way I have a cookie bite hearing loss that is becoming a severe loss from 1500 hertz to 8000 hertz.

Hi there, could you post
your audiogram and any screenshots of your fitting (REM) session, this would help everyone with advice.

Cheers

The expected aided SII number depends on your loss, so there isn’t really a magic number.

If verification shows that you are under targets, then yes certainly the hearing aids should probably be turned up. But also, if your experience is that things are soft and muffled and you don’t have enough audibility, then they should also be turned up. What happens when you turn them up?

1 Like

I’ve not tried yet as there are some physical fit issues. Would I turn up based upon the REM data or the fitting data in the programming software? In Genie, I’m also below targets, but I’m not sure if Genie is synced to REM or REM just reflects what’s in Genie?

Frankly, I just meant with your volume buttons.

1 Like

I’ll explore that but I rarely turn things up with the volume. If anything, I turn it down. The problem isn’t volume so much as audibility where my own unaided hearing is clearer.

But it’s worthwhile for your clinician to know what’s happening. For example, you turn it down because you don’t like sharp sounds but then when you do voices sound soft and muffled. Or the opposite, you turn it down because everything is loud and boomy but then when you do speech is unclear and insufficiently bright.

What’s with everyone just being called “user###” these days? Makes everyone difficult to tell apart.

I have been wondering the same thing.

2 Likes