Recommend me aids - UK

Hi all, I am new here. I have been a hearing aid wearer since my teens, and I am forty now!! I have a mixed conduction loss. I can’t figure out how to add my audiogram, but I will see if I can.

Anyway, I use NHS aids; I HATE my new upgraded ones. My hearing is causing massive issues for me at work etc. I work in busy environments, and I speak publically and ask questions. I mostly have to use someone to support me with this as my aids are just not capable.

I have been considering the Phonak Lumity L90 for a while, and now I have seen a newer model, and I am not sure.

I am open to any suggestions, though, it needs to be as adaptable a possible to different devices - Bluetooth capability, also needs to handle LOTS of noise.

Also, I see everyone uses the thin mould-type earpieces—are they called power aids or something? Can these modern aids be adapted to moulds? I absolutely don’t get on with those thin lines, and they tend to get damaged by birds (which sounds random, but I work with animals, and the parrots like the hearing aids, so the thin ones just break).

Thank you all for reading and any advice and support would be welcome.

Firstly, what NHS aids do you have and are you using moulds now? Are the aids BTE (behind the ear) with a plastic tube, or RIC (receiver in canal) with a thin wire leading to the the receiver? Costco have some very good aids such as Jabra, Rexton and Philips, all with bluetooth, at prices far less than the high street. They can also be adapted to moulds.

Danalogic - ambio 88- BTE.

Are you able to post your audiogram? There are many forum members more knowledgeable than me who could advise you.

Hello @Jo13
For you wil be important to decide/ consider if you want to use the options you have on your specific hearing aids in the future also.
Now you have the Danalogic - ambio 88- BTE. So questions are:
Do you use the clip- on Direct Audio Input adapter or do you have the integrated one?
Do you use the Phone Now system with magnet on your landline?
Do you use/ need the Telecoil?
Do you use wireless accessories?
Do you use the Tinnitus Sound Generator module?

The devices you use are for bad hearing up to 131dB.

In prices the sky is the limit, but if you consider the Lumity L90 as you say and you don’t bother too much the size of the aids the Spheres from Phonak seem to be the latest and best at the moment.
They don’t have telecoil and they don’t have Phone now in comparance. They are only available in rechargeables but with a long lasting battery.

They can handle lots of noise. And they have the best BlueTooth on the market at the moment.

Here on the forum you’ll find many of your questions answered in all kind of topics.
Happy reading.
Emile

Edit:
And here’s a nice All you need to know about the Spheres

Thanks I don’t use any accessories, so I am not really sure what my options are. I don’t take phone calls. Off I’m doing teams/video call I use headphones over my aids and lipread.

Size doesn’t bother me, I need a larger size for power.

I would like them to be apple compatible.
I like the idea of rechargeable as long as they last the whole day.

If you are going private, then I’d suggest you take a look at Wholesale Hearing as they are significantly cheaper than Boots or Specsavers.

https://www.bootshearingcare.com/hearing-aids/hearing-aid-prices/

You need to get an audiogram (which you have) for them to do the initial set up. Then they do (well they did for my Phonak Spheres) a remote tuning session to refine the programs for your usage.

I’ve just had a follow up remote session after a month to tweak a couple of the programs.

This on £2,500 pair of aids that are about (last time I looked) £4,000 from Boots.

Both remote sessions were the next day (and cost nothing) whereas Boots appointments (Boots were very helpful) were at least a couple of weeks out each time I tried to book.

Always a good idea to remote fit a complicated mixed loss with a remote prescription and fix it down a telephone……….

1 Like

Mine was much simpler (just one ear has any significant loss) but the remote support has been exemplary.

I’ve also used Boots (who were good, but the same aids were almost twice the price. Lumity £3k, Spheres £4k), a private audiologist in Summertown (good, but aids again v.expensive eg Lumity L90 were just shy of £4k).

NHS service has been good but I initially went to Boots as I needed aids to keep working and the initial estimate, even for an urgent referral, was 6-18 months.

Yes I was in contact with them. Its good to hear a recommendation about them. My concern with them is around the actual mould as they provide the power tip
Things and I don’t get on with them, so I would need to
Find someone to make moulds and I’m
Concerned the aids wouldn’t be set up right with it. Although I might be wrong

That’s good to know, is that because it will need more tweaking? Im struggling more since my surgery in January which improved my hearing a lot, but I can’t get aids working well with two quite different needs in either ear

Possibly, also the initial fit will need to be better managed, especially given a post-surgical variable mixed loss.