Recipients of Cochlear Ltd CI in Canada?

I am in the early stage of CI candidate assessment in Canada. Cochlear Ltd products appear less popular here. Are there any Canadian recipients of Cochlear Ltd CIs in this forum?

There are several Cochlear brand recipients here. I am one of the few who chose Advanced Bionics on this site and I am thrilled all around with the connectivity, technology, etc. All brands “work”, but some are a better lifestyle fit. I love the Marvel Link phonak hearing aid that works together with the CI.

1 Like

Thanks for your response, Joan.
I am now a candidate, leaning towards AB. Perhaps, I should start a new thread, on AB instead.

Maybe a CI brand discussion? I honestly don’t know if there are any here who have AB other than me. I don’t recall one posting. However each brand has a Facebook group and I joined all three of them to ask questions when I was making my decision. I found that super helpful. People tend to defend the brand they chose, so looking at all and the site cochlearimplanthelp.com will help you sort it. Do you have choices of brand through the Canadian health system?

We have 2 other AB recipients I think. Susanmarylyn being one. And a gentleman but I can’t think of his name just now. He’s not a regular visitor to the forum. @Raudrive can you remember his name? He’s had his cI for several years now.

@MagicalFairy and @Syncros use AB implants I believe.
@phobos512 and @Dani use MedEl.
I am sure there are many others using CI other than Cochlear brand implants.
@susanmarylynn seems to come to mind too, not sure.

Searching the forum for CI brand may get better results.

If I hadn’t gone with Cochlear I would have used AB but off the ear processors played a big part in my decision.

1 Like

Thanks to all who responded!
I think pauldaytona uses AB also.

We really didn’t answer your question.
AB in Canada on this forum is a little tuff.

Maybe be more members will chime in.

2 Likes

Syncros was the one I couldn’t think of…

1 Like

Hi there! I am late to the discussion. I see I have been tagged - hi folks! Yes, I am coming up to my second anniversary as an AB implantee, tuning in from Canada.

I sort of had a choice, in that I expressed disappointment that the implant team had chosen MedEl for me. I was prepared to accept their choice, but it turned out they just happened to have MedEl in stock. They obliged me without argument.

I am glad they did, as I spent months researching and wanted a linked HA. It makes a world of difference to my hearing when streaming - which was the top reason I chose AB. For once in my life I wanted the latest technology! I credit my constant streaming of podcasts and YouTube videos to my success in re-acquainting my brain with different accents and pitches and rhythms of speaking voices. The Bluetooth is wonderful for phonecalls and, to my surprise, I can even manage phonecalls without BT. I guess that is thanks to the t-mic which I think is unique to AB.

Best of luck!

2 Likes