Rechargeable vs. swappable batteries for Hearing Aids

Hello Dear all!

I have some “technical” questions regarding the differences and reasons between rechargeable and swappable batteries for hearing aids.

My question comes from the need of TV/Audio streaming, with my rechargeable hearing aids I can get 3/4 hours at max, while with swappable batteries up to 11 hours or more.

The rechargeable hearing aids use a LIR 0854 type with 3.7V - 25mAh battery, therefore 0.09Wh, while the swappable use a 312 type battery which is 1.45V - 170mAh, therefore 0,245Wh. They both have nearly identical dimensions (312, so the technical question/curiosity is, why do two batteries with the same dimensions, have such different performance in terms of life time?

1 Like

Different chemistries. The disposables (swappables) use Zinc Air chemistry. It relies on oxygen in the atmosphere as the cathode so can be much more energy dense than the rechargeable lithium ion battery.

2 Likes

May I ask what hearing aids do you have that the battery only lasts 3/4hours? Mine can last my entire waking hours with streaming. Longer without, which I can tell as I frequently fall asleep with them on.

1 Like

Hello,
I use OTC Jebra hearing aids for rechargeable, they do last a full day as supposed to but only 3/4 hours when streaming audio.
Can I ask you the same question? what hearing aids do you have that last a full day while streaming audio? Are they rechargeable ?

Thanks! Very interesting

I have the Jabra Enhance Pro 20s from Costco. They are the same as the ReSound Nexia 9s. I stream a lot and my batteries last the day. 3 to 4 hours sounds like bad batteries. Wow that is less then anything else I have heard of. Maybe contact Jabra. Have you had them for very long?

Costco hearing aids are $1500-$1600 for a pair with a 3 year warranty and free parts, adjustments and service. I think they are very competitive to OTC HAs and you get prescription grade.