Rechargeable vs disposable batteries

I think it is a matter of preference to a certain extent also the choice imparts a certain flexibility of the tool. I love the analogy of prosthesis. If I want to communicate, I must have functioning hearing aids. It is a necessity for me to have functioning aids … at all times. You have to understand and accept we all have differences in order to see the importance of having choices.

2 Likes

rechargeable hearing aids are great - until suddenly they aren’t.

6 Likes

So true but so are hearing aids with disposable batteries. I have been wearing aids for 20 years at first ITE aids with of course disposable batteries, but my last few sets haflve be rechargeable aids. In 20 years I have had 2 failures, in both cases due to moisture and the aids had disposable batteries. I have always been a hiker and a very active person that sweats extremely. I have had ITE aids remade due to not fitting correctly too. Being without my aids sucks. But I am also extremely lucky to be a veteran and getting my aids from the VA. The VA ensures that I have working backups. And at this time i have even a usable backup set of aids to my backup aids. But being rechargeable I have to have a schedule and reminders to ensure that i wear my backup aids at least once a month to keep the batteries healthy. It takes discipline and willingness to do so. But i cannot be without my aids. I don’t travel with out backups and even backups to my backups. Normally it is over kill but it only takes one slip up to really scew up a trip or vacation.

Thank you. But it’s not an analogy. The US government classifies hearing aids as prostheses:

Sure, you are absolutely correct!

I have experienced the pros and cons of both options. Ideally it would be as in my CI sound processor - I can use either 675s basket or rechargeable battery (unfold quote for pictures):

Two 675s are enough for about 2-3 days, but recently the were went dead out of the blue during restaurant meeting.I often can’t remember when I inserted fresh 675s, so I can’t predict when they’ll run out.
Fortunately, I am not dependent on CI and can rely fully on hearing from HA (my sound processor rechargeable batteries broke down, and I have no one).

So, this is the con of disposable 675s. But they last 2-3 days vs. 12 or 18 hrs with rechargeables compact and standard size, respectively.

However, I appreciate that my sound processor gives me choice. It is quicker and easier to swap to rechargeable than wait 1-2 mins after after peeling off the sticker from disposables.

I don’t know what experience have other CI users: @Raudrive, @Deaf_piper, @joanhawsey?

Coming back to HAs - I sometimes have 24 hours of work, so ideal could be… rechargeables that would last ~30-35 hours. I then have full control over the remaining percentage of charge (not possible with disposables), and after overnight charging, I have 100% confidence that they won’t stop in the middle of the day and have safe margin after that 24 hrs…

However, sometimes I miss the times when the 13s disposable batteries lasted even 1-2 weeks…

Just my three cents…

cdn.com/photos/images/original/002/152/388/629.gif

Up to 2021, my Ventures had 13s and lasted 2 weeks. I streamed TV from my Compilot II and TV Link, just as much as I do now with Marvel/Paradise. That technology was ahead of its time. I took Bluetooth calls with it too.
Peter

1 Like

Previously I had also Ventures, Bolero 70-P on 13s.:grin:

I haven’t had TV Link or ComPilot, but I did have SmartLink+ with DynaMic FM. It was a disappointment, probably because my audiologist at the time couldn’t set it up properly.

1 Like

Maybe, maybe not. Like I said in an earlier post in this thread, I use around 146 312-size batteries/year. Rayovac Extra 312’s from Hearing Tracker Shop are $18.99 for a pack of 60, or 32 cents each. Total for a year is $47, let’s call it $50. But any extra expense attributable to rechargeables reduces their price advantage. Say I buy a spare charger for $250 each time I buy a pair of rechargeable aids, and I buy new aids every 5 years. Then my expenditure on chargers for rechargeable aids will be the same as expenditure on batteries for regular aids. Substitute the price of Costco batteries, and regular aids are cheaper. And if you have a charging issue and have to travel to a distant Costco to get service, that trip could easily cost a year’s worth of Costco batteries just for gasoline.

Ive used both and prefer rechargeables for my lifestyle.
Right before my rechargeable Resound One’s warranty expired i sent them in for a battery replacement. Now they are good for many more years as backups as i just got the rechargrable Jabra 20’s. When i used battery aids the only malfunctions i ever ran into was the hinge at the battery door, something i never worry about now. In the 3+ years i have used rechargeable aids i have never ran out of battery or needed a mid day recharge. I stream a few hours a day thru my phone and then a few more using my TV streamer and still have 40-60% charge after a 16 hour day. I didnt think i would like rechargeable aids at first but now i would never go back. Just mho…

1 Like

[quote=“x475aws, post:5, topic:91616”]
Rechargeable aids have more points of failure…"

Ummm…no. Rechargeables are sealed. No battery door to break. Better protection against moisture. I’ve been using rechargeable aids for coming up on three years, after decades of using disposable aids. I see no real points of failure. rather the opposite. Plus, no worries about changing batteries! I ain’t going back!

1 Like

@AlexE - I’m one of those who will NEVER go to rechargeables unless they last a week between charges. Minimum. One day is insufficient for my needs. My Oticon Xceed 1 plus CROS, which are disposable battery aids, last me all week - at least 7-9 days (even when streaming all day) before I have to change them.

If they are able to get rechargeables to last for a full 7-9 days, I will switch. Until then, eff rechargeables.

1 Like

I own and use both. For daily use, I wear my Phonak Bolero m90 rechargeables with Bluetooth, which I really like, but if I plan to take a trip, even overnight, I’ll go with my Phonak Bolero V70s, a handful of 312 batteries, and leave the bulky charger at home.

I enjoy the best of both worlds.

8 Likes

So what do you do if for goodness sake your aids with disposable batteries crap out.
I am now planning a trip of 11 days this time next month. My check list has all 3 sets of my rechargeable aids on it with chargers and backup chargers. I don’t worry about traveling light, I worry about not being able to hear. By the way my chargers are also rechargeable, can typical charge my aids 4 times without recharging. And the charger can be recharged with about any usb port which are every where now days. My Jeep has half a dozen usb ports. And my RV trailer has about a dozen ports.
And I have seen usb ports in restaurants, bars, airports, you name it. I am not telling you to ditch your disposable aids. I am just saying there is always options.

3 Likes

My only issue with replaceable battery aids is the battery is lithium air and sweat blocks the holes in the battery so they can’t get air and the aids stop working until the batteries dry. Any water ( rain) on the batteries stops them from working. The battery door on the aid is not water proof because air must get in to the battery for it to work. So I like rechargeable aids.

3 Likes

I recently got rechargable Oticon Intents after 5 years with Oticon Opns with disposible batteries. I am loving the convenience of never having to replace the batteries.

I understand the pros and costs of both types and respect peoples’ opinions. Having my old HAs with disposable batteries as a backup gives me peace of mind. So does having the smart charger that can provide several full charges as a portable power bank. I will also assess how well the regargeable batteries are performing as the warranty nears expiration.

Do you take all 3 set of hearing aids when going away?

I like travelling light. 5 days away, I took a 6 litre bag which wasn’t full as well.

When I travel an stay in RV Parks yes I take all three. On this trip we have 3 layovers. So we have three setups and teardowns, meaning 6 chances for my auds to get wet or lost. Also I will be spending most days with old military brothers and sisters and talking about old times.

Oh I don’t fly anymore and haven’t even been in an airport in 14 years. I despise the ridiculous security BS at the airports, and the plane seats aren’t large enough for a 10 year old much less a 6 foot 200 pound man like me.

3 Likes

Oticon Real rechargeable and conventional aids have the same IP rating, as you can see in the manual page below. Only difference is that water can put the conventional aids out of service, temporarily, while they dry. If this happens to someone regularly, then rechargeable aids would be a better choice for them.

True, battery doors are a vulnerability in conventional aids. Battery doors don’t seem to come up often on this forum, for whatever reason. The way I manage my aids, at least, the doors are exposed to damage mainly when I change batteries, not when I crack the door open before putting the aids in the dryer at night. I don’t think that fixing a broken door requires sending the aids to the factory, rather my audiologist’s office would take care of it. A DIY’er, or even a mechanically handy person who doesn’t DIY program, could presumably keep spare doors and pins around.

1 Like