Rechargeable Lumity Life NOT holding its charge anymore

@Herbhornist : Actually, this is not quite true. You can replace the battery easily enough, but you need to have access to Genie 2 because you have to re-calibrate the battery’s capacity in that program. You can’t just pop the battery in, and resume operation because everything has to be recalibrated due to the additional capacity of the battery due to its newness.

(The newness of the battery contributes to its capacity, but not vice versa.)

2 Likes

Thank you for your reports. Interesting and really appreciated!
How do you read the %?
The MyPhonak app shows the level for both HA separately.
The phone’s bluetooth system page shows only the % of the master HA, usually the right HA. The master is doing the heavy lifting communicating to the phone.
It might be interesting to see the two levels. Especially the one blinking still orange after charging.

1 Like

I read the % charged right off my cell phone - and you’re right, it only displays the “heavy lifter”. I don’t have MyPhonak app on my phone, but I agree, it would be interesting to track the power discharge of each aid as it’s being used.

I will definitely be turning in the OLD pair of Lumity Life aids (just got them in Sept, if that’s even “old”?) this week. It will be interestng to find out what failed on these Lumity Life aids and WHY, in such a short period of time. By contrast, my Marvel aids were rock solid until both speakers failed a few months apart - before the warranty ran out.

Maybe that’s par for the course for battery-operated aids.

Could that only been done via the myPhonak App?

@Zebras
I can’t think of an other way.
(apart using Target of course)

The one thing we can assume is that the right (old) HA wasn’t fully charged. Blinking orange indicated a level between 11…80%.

According user manual:
Blinking red: 0…10%
Blinking orange: 11…80%
Blinking green: 81…99%
Steady green: 100%

Having 3 2.4 ghz radios in a hearing aid makes my head hurts… Phonak proprietary, bluetooth LE, and Bluetooth classic…

Yes, it appears that if one has MyPhonak app on the phone, one can see the breakout of each aid’s battery drain.

I have ONE more color that displays on my aids: YELLOW. It’s a distinctly different color than the ORANGE (which is the color for Airplane Mode, too).

Why would Bluetooth LE and Bluetooth Classic need separate radios? I believe they use the same frequencies. Software could negotiate the proper protocol.

Interesting, is not listed in the user manual I found.

That’s not the way it works. BT classic and BT LE have different protocols for advertising, establish connection, and communication. You cannot connect and later change the protocol.

1 Like

I think you are confusing with Application based protocol which app/devices uses to communicate which is the trunk of the car/truck

bluetooth classic is the gas guzzling truck and bluetooth LE is the Tesla… they both use the same 2.4 ghz (highway)…

1 Like

That is my point. The radios are configured by software. The software could first try LE and, if not foiubnd, reconfigure the same radio for Classic Bluetooth. No extra radio or antenna needed.

They are using a switching context but it is still 2 distinct radios.

In computing, a context switch is the process of storing the state of a process or thread, so that it can be restored and resume execution at a later point, and then restoring a different, previously saved, state.

@prodigyplace @ssa
We are getting off topic…

1 Like

OTH, how BT of various sorts works is apropos as to why Lumitys do not hold charge as well as some MFi HA’s.

3 Likes

Ok, but that was a completely different story and has nothing to do with the different functionality of BT classic and BT LE.

It was a bug in the operating system of the phones (Android 12). They stayed connected to the HA all the time, which also resulted in increased power consumption in the HA.

The question arose as to why BT LE and classic BT couldn’t share the same hardware channel if having multiple BT channels, including battery-hogging classic BT, is a reason, even in perfectly normal Lumitys, for a relatively fast rundown of charge, especially if streaming intensively. So, perhaps it’s one of those YMMV as to whether anyone considers that sort of information relevant to a Lumity not holding its charge. Maybe the Android 12 problem is related to not managing channel on/off protocols well?

1 Like

Operating system have nothing to do with it, it is most likely broken bluetooth chipset firmware that was tied to it. All the 0S does is just pair/ unpair the device, show status and pipe audio data to audio source that the user want to do it on… it is just a coincident that it was broken Android 12…

The fix for Android 12 is to enable the Gabeldorsche Bluetooth stack via developer options.
The Gabeldorsche Bluetooth stack then went into production with Android 13.

From the feedback on this forum this option doesn’t seem to be available for Galaxy devices though. The fix worked fine for me with a Pixel 6 though before Android 13 was deployed.