Receiver replaced - audio feels unbalanced

After replacing a receiver the audio seems unbalanced R-L. The right one was replaced and now it seems like the right audio is not as loud as the left. Is it typical to need adjustments after a receiver replacement?

No you don’t need to do that under normal circumstances, however are you sure it’s was replaced with the correct power level as the last one, this of course would make a difference,
was the receiver new?
One way I’ve tested the receivers is you can swap them over, just to be sure it’s the receiver and not the HA.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply. Yes, the part number is the same on both receivers. The replacement was new. The mind does strange things at times. It’s more than likely just my imagination then.

Is the tip, the part that goes in your ear, the same and completely together and normal looking?

Was REM done after the receiver replacement?

1 Like

I have custom molds. The replacement looked exactly like the original so I don’t expect that could be a problem.

I had the replacement mailed to me and did the replacement myself. So, REM was not done after the replacement. When I asked to have the receiver sent to me I would have thought that it would have been mentioned at the time that adjustments may be required and it would be best to set up an appointment if needed.

REM shouldn’t have to be done but it would verify the receiver.
If you are a do it yourself programmer a bad receiver could be proved that way with in-situ.

If it’s very noticable I would send it back for a replacement.
Good luck

Switching the

2 Likes

Thank you. I do have Noahlink and Target software but I’m not up to speed in their use yet.

1 Like

REM should not have to be done again after a receiver replacement, as long as the new receiver performs to spec like the old receiver when it was working fine. I’ve replaced many receivers on my own and never had any issue with the replacement sounding out of balance. It’s likely that you got a bad new receiver that’s not performing to spec.

Did you reuse the old dome on the new receiver? It’s possible that the old dome has some wax on it that may cause a diminished volume.

It’s also possible that the old/bad receiver was performing out of spec/beyond spec (had a lower impedance so that a lower amplification was enough to get to the normal volume). So REM took care of this with a downward adjustment to target, or if it was underperforming overall, REM didn’t have to be adjusted too much to bring up to target. But now that a new replacement that performs to spec is used, the lower amplification was not enough for this replacement.

If you get another receiver replacement and the balance is still off (weaker sounding), then it’s more likely that the bad receiver was out of spec and over performs. In this case, REM may be required to recalibrate back to target again.

1 Like

Thank you. I have custom molds.

Do you have the kind of custom molds that the receiver can be removed and replaced, or did they have to make a new mold for the new receiver? If the latter, it’s probably cheaper to just reprogram the volume than try another new mold /receiver pair, unless it’s all free under warranty.

The receiver is is in the mold, all 1 piece. I have what I need to self program except knowing how to use Target software to make the proper adjustments. I have played with it and changed some options but nothing to do with modifying audio parameters yet. Call me cheap if you will, but I’d prefer to not have the inconvenience of scheduling an office visit and the copay charge. I appreciate your input. It seems that I’m going to need to study up on using the programming software.

So you had a new mold made with the new receiver?
Correct?
Or did you put a new receiver in your old mold?

I received a new shell with the receiver imbedded in it. The mold for the new shell was from when I received this set of aids a few months ago. Sorry if my prior wording was misleading.

1 Like

Nobody is calling you cheap if you decide to go the DIY route for yourself for convenience and cost saving, at least not me.

One thing you can try is go to page on the Genie 2 screenshot below, decouple the link between the left and right hearing aids (the infinity looking sign) so that the change on one aid won’t force the same change on the other aid, then select all 3 rows of your left hearing aid (I assume that’s the one with the new receiver) so that all 3 rows are highlighted as seen below. Then just click up one at a time while wearing the aids and playing something like a TV show or music, then listen to see if the left aid now sounds loud enough like before its receiver replacement yet. Each of the click corresponds to 1 dB gain or loss, depending on clicking up or down. If not yet, you can do another click up until it sounds balanced with the right aid.

Assuming that it’s an all across-the-frequencies-board type of volume imbalance, and not just specific to certain range of frequencies, then this should fix it for you. It’s similar to you separating the left and right volume sliders on the phone and adjust the left one separately from the right one. Except that the Genie 2 change is permanent while the phone change will have to be redone each time you put the aids on.

If you went overboard and want to undo the last change, as long as you’re doing it to the whole frequency spectrum, it’s easier to remember and simpler to undo the + click with a - click.

1 Like

Thank you. I have Phonak aids and the programming software, Target, looks a little different from what is shown. I would imagine that the functions are quite similar from one program to another. I’ll give it a go tomorrow or so after saving the original parameters. I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Have you contacted the seller about your issue?
It’s a tuff call if your new receiver or the mold is the problem.

If you take your finger and push the new mold and receiver tighter in your ear, does it sound better?

The new mold complicates the questionable receiver. Both need to be right for a proper fit.

If the finger test improves hearing the mold just might be the issue.

Getting off into programming might not be needed. Lots of help here on the other hand if needed. Many Phonak members here.

Oops, sorry, I somehow assumed that you’re an Oticon user. Nevertheless, the principle is really the same anyway, even if the interface looks a little different.

1 Like

Gave it a go thanks to a couple of very helpful videos at AudiologyOnline. I increased the gain a bit in the right aid. Thanks for the pointers!

1 Like