Real Ear Measurement & Semi Linear Compression

Just today my HIS adjusted my Phonak Lumity L90R Life Hearing aid to Semi Linear Compression. He did this adjustment due to the fact that I couldn’t make out what someone was saying when i was standing on the other side of a small desk at the optometrist, getting new glasses fit. He then adjusted for Semi Linear Compression. Does this seem right based on my audiogram? He adjusted from 750 to 1500. He said instead of being 1:1 ratio mine has been bumped up to ~ 1:1.5 ratio. He did not do REM per se. He did some computer program with my HAs in & it was screeching sounds. When asked about that he said it measured my ear canals. I’ve had that done w/ other Audi’s but also the real REM with loop on your ear and tickling ribbon in your ear. Any advice would be appreciated. When making this type of adjustment, should REM be performed again. This by the way is a new set of Lumity hearing aids as the other ones failed , so he just programmed this set line the old ones and gave them to me. Does that seem right.

Feedback Test.

:slight_smile:

To stop feedback.

3 Likes

So nothing to do with REM. :rage:

@Sequoia_Woman

REM you have to have a wire thing placed in your ears. Not sure what it’s actually called.

1 Like

I think it’s called a probe tube.

1 Like

Yes I’ve had that done by other audiologists. My HiS did that at the beginning when got 1sr Lumity HAs but this is a new set, so should REM have been performed again? Thank you

I’m not 100% sure but I think so as every HA despite being same model, won’t be exactly the same, on how it’s put together so the level might be different in getting to your ears. We are talking a tiny amount but could make a difference.

I could be wrong but that’s what I’ve been told.

3 Likes

Has the adjustment made a difference when you tried it over several days? Measurements are fine but in the end you’re looking for possible help in certain hearing environments. Aim for what helps in your real life experience, over some time, rather than matching up numbers in your Audis office.

2 Likes

Jeffrey, it’s been 1 day and I ‘think’ it may be better allowing my brain to catch up w/ the ‘slight’ change. Time will tell. Thank you for your response.

Zebras, I will mention this to my HIS. He seems to not be taking REM very seriously, in my opinion. I would Think REM could make a difference of hearing well/improved or not. Do you think that is a fair statement.

@Sequoia_Woman

Yes definitely.

I had REM for both my P70 and Xceed 1 and it’s made so much difference.

1 Like

@Zebras
The Audi test both the Xceed 1 and More 1 using different tones while the HA’s is in the ear. I was asked which tone I am able to hear by pressing the switch button. The test is done individually. Not sure whether this is an appropriate or alternative to REM.
Finally the Xceed is still better for my type of hearing loss.

1 Like