Ready to upgrade from Oticon Opn 1. Should I select Oticon More or Phonak Paradise?

@Lostdeaf: Yes, a пропагандист, she is, for sure!:lying_face:

1 Like

the “in-car” program unfortunately only offers the P90. most people can’t afford it.

Have you taken your TV 3.0 Adapter to your audi? It has software that needs to be updated just like the hearing aids. Easy to do from the Genie2 menu.

I agree and also I found, I didn’t even need the car program as speech in noise did just as good a job.

1 Like

How does the “in car” program work? Does it steer the focus toward the passenger side – and possibly in addition to the regular speech-in-noise features?

I found a text about it Phonak AutoSense OS: The Evolution of Automation Technology Stephanie Watson Hearing Aids - Adults Hearing Aids - Children 13646

Speech in Car
Speech in Car is an exclusive program that the hearing aid will access automatically when it detects a car situation. It utilizes binaural synchronization in the Audéo V90. Just one of the hearing aids has to detect the signals of a small environment, such as a car. When one hearing aid changes to the Speech in Car program, it will talk to the other hearing aid and direct it to change programs after a 20-second timer within that specific environment has elapsed.

Speech in Car reduces the low-frequency engine and road noise. The Venture chip has the ability to enable lower noise floors. When the car stops and the hearing aid no longer detects that environment for a sustained period of time, the hearing aid will go back into whatever program is appropriate for the next situation. A validation study comparing the Audéo Q90 to the Audéo V90 showed that 60% of patients reported less effort with Venture, including when listening in a car.

2 Likes

The Paradise is much more complex- at least for the user. I was initially put off by that. The Signia AX is very similar for me, and easier to tailor programming using the assistant feature. But I feel I can hear a bit better with Phonak, and I like Classic BT, hands free phone, live BT connections to 2 devices at a time, and availability of Roger devices. I think with improved programming, the Oticon More would work for me too. I really loved my On1.

2 Likes

The Oticon tv adapter?

Thanks. I did not know about this feature, as I have not had a passenger yet since I bought the Phonak. That said I’m not sure it is working with music in the car.

If it works, it is another reason to like my P90s.

1 Like

I have not noticed my Phonak N Paradise P90s switching in the car but that did happen today. I was at the fly casting ponds in SF’s Golden Gate Park at a casting seminar. The instructor was speaking from 15 meters away in the water but I seemed to have heard almost as well as many of the others in the class. So far so good.

But uh oh, the clowns in the Dodge Chargers roared by (about 4 blocks away) and the auto sense adjusted way down. Same thing happened when an airplane flew over.

Rant warning: I really resent Van Diesel and Jeremy Clarkson for glorifying modified exhausts. They are even worse than Harleys.

4 Likes

What’s worse than Harley’s is the Dodge Ram bunch with open exhaust on their Cummins diesels.

And they intentionally release exhaust smoke at any hybrid car they see. Nice folks…

1 Like

It’s been an interesting journey for me, and engendered very interesting related and unrelated discussions! I’ve decided to buy the Phonak Paradise. Thank you everyone who answered my questions or shared your experiences. I had 12 good years with Oticon, and the More is another excellent hearing aid. But my needs are different now, and I’ve chosen the Paradise for reasons previously discussed. This is a great resource. I really appreciate everyone’s support.

7 Likes

Which do you think is clearer in the multi person environment, Phonak P90 or Signia ax?

1 Like

Due to Covid restrictions, I wasn’t able to give either pair a test in a loud indoor environment with several people at my table. I did have small indoor and outdoor dinners, and both did well. Both have the ability to be programmed by the user on location. The Signia uses a hearing assistant approach which uses an A B comparison. Paradise has several modifications the user tries out directly. For Paradise, I found I had to do a lot of research to learn how to use the app to make modifications. I found some helpful YouTube videos. Signia AX approach is much easier to use. Both were better for me than Oticon More, which surprised me since I’m used to the Opn1. It could be programming for the More was a limiting factor, as a new Audi set up the demos for me, not my regular Audi. Oticon provides no option for the user to modify programs.

So in my limited testing, I thought AX and Paradise were very similar in noise. I’m very disappointed that I was not able to test them in the most difficult noise environments.

1 Like

I understand…

Here’s what I’ve learned since I last posted.

–Workman’s Comp has approved hearing aids from 3 manufacturers for audiologists to supply to people that qualify. . Phonak is one; Oticon is not. Siemens too; don’t know the third.
–I qualified about 8 years ago; I’ve had two sets of Phonaks. I tried Oticons at the beginning. Due to nerve damage I couldn’t feel the switch on the Oticons. I could on the Phonaks
– my last audiologist grabbed the sale when I asked for it. New hearing aids were improved a few months later. I got what they recommended. No trials. No choices. I trusted them.

–I figure the new audiologist grabbed for the ring at the carousel ride…after all, he wouldn’t make much money adjusting the hearing aids I already had.

–Well he made it. New Hearing Aids approved. He did a good job. Paradise bluetooth, rechargeable.

So, summary. I can’t get Oticon. They’re not approved. I’m getting new Phonak Paradise rechargeable haring aids.

I appreciate everyone’s help here.

I’ve worn my new Phonaks for a week and a half now.

I want to thank you, LawyerFL for this thread. I went from knowing-nothing to knowing-enough to start asking the right questions, and being a more effective advocate for my health and care. That’s a big step.

A comment–when I went to the audiologist I weighed what he said carefully. He wanted to get new hearing aids for me. He postponed/didn’t set up my existing hearing aids. His point was that doing so would squash any attempts to get new high-tech hearing aids for me. Like others here I wondered, “what the heck?” and “he’s trying for the big sale! He’s not doing what I need to hear right now.”

He worked miracles for me.

• He got my hearing aids replaced about 2-1/2 years earlier than the process with workman’s comp allows.
  • He got me new High Tech hearing aids.
  • He supplied them to me so quickly! He motivated someone at workman’s comp to move quickly. That in itself is HUGE!

Thanks everyone. Thanks LawyerFL for your post, and tolerating my posts here

Dave
Toronto

1 Like

You are welcome - glad if I was any help.

3 Likes

LawyerFL You and other members helped a lot.

Although I found this forum some time ago, I had to return recently to find out how valuable it is.
(I also have sleep apnea; I participate on the apnea board forum. I had some help there too. Most helpful was a link to this forum)

I’m looking forward to my next appointment with the audiologist I’ve started seeing. I’m sure every visit will bring improvements in my setup.
He has offered to set up my last Phonaks when he has determined what my final setup should be.

I tried to convey that I trust him when I started posting. I didn’t want to jinx my pursuit of new hearing aids. Law of Attraction.

Dave
Toronto

This was a great thread for me to go through, thank you! I had just posed this very question as a new topic yesterday, as I hadn’t scrolled back far enough to see this post. The main difference is that I am a first time hearing aid user, so I don’t have prior comparisons of what I’m used to, nor do I fully understand exactly what I’m looking for, to be frank. But enjoyed reading through the initial impressions as well as user experience with the apps!

2 Likes