Ready for New Hearing Aids - Which to choose

It seems to me that the small 312 battery isn’t large enuf if you do even a small amount of BT streaming or on the phone a little while. Costco does have a longish trial period.
I have the first BT Phonak phone that came out the year before the Marvel.

My aids are connected to my Iphone, my connect clip, and the TV connect everyday. I am getting 5 days out of 312 batteries. My old aids were connected by a streamer pro all day and they get 6 to 7 days. Sure I would like to have the larger 13 battery but that would be a little large for my ITE aids.

So far so good with battery life. About 5 days with music streaming and phones.
Batteries are so cheap these days it didn’t enter into my comparisons.

1 Like

Go to the VA they have top of the line hearing devices and should be able to handle the issue you have with the devices slipping. I have been very satisfied with the aids and the service at the VA.

1 Like

That was very interesting to hear as I am neither happy nor satisfied with my Costco technician in No. California. He is fitting me with ReSound Gn and when I complained about the hollow sound of my own voice he said it was me and not the hearing aids. Since I’ve been wearing HAs for about 45 years I am familiar with how my own voice sounds with them.

After trying them for 2 weeks, I returned to tell him that the right HA was emitting static and I was not able to wear it and had to go back to my old one in that ear. He could not detect this on his computer so again, it was me and not the HA.

I am not sure that I will keep these and may return them except I’m at a loss to know where to go
from here to find a good Audiologist.

The Rexton Adore Li at Costco has a special Own Voice feature to deal with the issue of own voice and closed fittings.

That’s incompetence. There’s a bunch of small adjustments which may help. Or at least make a change that gets you out of the office. Blaming the patient is just bad business.

Do these Costco operations have a Supervisor?

You are describing tuning issues.

It not the aids, it’s the fitting. Your hearing loss is to a degree of needing a good fitter. Typical fitting for left a right might not be best for you. It appears each ear needs to be dealt with separately to balance the sounds that are best for you.

Maybe asking for someone with more experience with your type loss would help.
Good luck

1 Like

I am happy to say that Costco refunded my payment for the Resound HAs. I also showed him a copy of your replies to my message.
Now, of course I must be on the hunt for a very good Audiologist. The Costco man was truly a very poor fitter.

2 Likes

If your hearing loss is due to military service, why haven’t you got enrolled into the VA and got your hearing aids from the VA with costing you anything.

disagree with Phonak Marvel being fully BT capable still has tons of issues if on android.

If you need bluetooth within the hearing aids, i’d personally wait for the next generation of bluetooth hearing aids.

I’ve read about the issues talked about. Kate and I have both owned Marvel M90-R’s for over a year and have none of these issues. Well, early on we did have the issue of not being able to connect to more than one device, but that issue was resolved with the Marvel 2.0 firmware update. So currently we honestly have no issues.

Do you own the Marvels artexjay, and if so are you having issues after the 2.0 firmware update?

The lst generation Phonak BT HA did/do have problems. I have those - came out the year before Marvel. They work well enuf for me. Even moderate BT phone usage burns thru batteries.

I do have Marvel hearing aids, connectivity issue whenever outside. I am force to hold my phone near my chest or closer to my head. Like I have said before. Anything lower than the chest there are stuttering and struggling to keep connections when outside. Whenever I get inside a building they start suddenly working properly or at least how you would expect. I even got a new phone that Phonak claimed to be completely supported for streaming. Despite my old phone also being shown as completely supported.
So far after having tried 3 replacements I have concluded as have my audiologist that this is a Phonak issue. And thus Phonak is not ready with the bluetooth streaming yet. Wait for the next generation of Marvels to come out.

You really need to make sure that you’ve got all the latest firmware updates installed. It should pop-up a prompt for an upgrade automatically when your audiologist connects them to Target if there’s one. I know originally BT was problematic but I have only very rare dropouts with my Marvels.

They are up to date don’t worry. Unless Phonak released another major update after their 2.0 update

They actually released an update that’s supposed to help stability about two weeks ago.

1 Like

It certainly is curious that some people have Bluetooth connectivity problems and others do not.

What phones have you used that have problems? Kate and I have Android Google Pixel 3 XL phones. We have no connectivity problems inside or outside.

I do know that Google Pixel phones being made by Google, the company that writes the Android operating system, run pure, unadulterated, unmodified Android. Some phone makers, such as Samsung, do extensive modifications to the Android OS.

2 Likes

I run a Samsung Galaxy S10+ and have like I said only the occasional skip. I’m perfectly happy with that.

1 Like

I used to be a Phonak exclusive user. I moved to Hawaii, and the local providers would not pick up support of my existing units without a charge almost equivalent to the cost of new units. I went to Costco and purchased some top end HA’s; ReSound GN’s for a much better price. I am beginning to have feedback issues in one of the units and the warranty has expired, so I am looking for replacements, ideally with technological upgrades.I am quite Bluetooth dependent on my iPhone And am quite interested in rechargeable units, if all that can be found in a single unit. I have trouble keeping devices in my ears, as my jaw movement dislodges units fairly rapidly, so I depend on ear-molds to keep the BTE receiver in place. Any all-that recommendations?