Ready for New Hearing Aids - Which to choose

disagree with Phonak Marvel being fully BT capable still has tons of issues if on android.

If you need bluetooth within the hearing aids, i’d personally wait for the next generation of bluetooth hearing aids.

I’ve read about the issues talked about. Kate and I have both owned Marvel M90-R’s for over a year and have none of these issues. Well, early on we did have the issue of not being able to connect to more than one device, but that issue was resolved with the Marvel 2.0 firmware update. So currently we honestly have no issues.

Do you own the Marvels artexjay, and if so are you having issues after the 2.0 firmware update?

The lst generation Phonak BT HA did/do have problems. I have those - came out the year before Marvel. They work well enuf for me. Even moderate BT phone usage burns thru batteries.

I do have Marvel hearing aids, connectivity issue whenever outside. I am force to hold my phone near my chest or closer to my head. Like I have said before. Anything lower than the chest there are stuttering and struggling to keep connections when outside. Whenever I get inside a building they start suddenly working properly or at least how you would expect. I even got a new phone that Phonak claimed to be completely supported for streaming. Despite my old phone also being shown as completely supported.
So far after having tried 3 replacements I have concluded as have my audiologist that this is a Phonak issue. And thus Phonak is not ready with the bluetooth streaming yet. Wait for the next generation of Marvels to come out.

You really need to make sure that you’ve got all the latest firmware updates installed. It should pop-up a prompt for an upgrade automatically when your audiologist connects them to Target if there’s one. I know originally BT was problematic but I have only very rare dropouts with my Marvels.

They are up to date don’t worry. Unless Phonak released another major update after their 2.0 update

They actually released an update that’s supposed to help stability about two weeks ago.

1 Like

It certainly is curious that some people have Bluetooth connectivity problems and others do not.

What phones have you used that have problems? Kate and I have Android Google Pixel 3 XL phones. We have no connectivity problems inside or outside.

I do know that Google Pixel phones being made by Google, the company that writes the Android operating system, run pure, unadulterated, unmodified Android. Some phone makers, such as Samsung, do extensive modifications to the Android OS.

2 Likes

I run a Samsung Galaxy S10+ and have like I said only the occasional skip. I’m perfectly happy with that.

1 Like

I used to be a Phonak exclusive user. I moved to Hawaii, and the local providers would not pick up support of my existing units without a charge almost equivalent to the cost of new units. I went to Costco and purchased some top end HA’s; ReSound GN’s for a much better price. I am beginning to have feedback issues in one of the units and the warranty has expired, so I am looking for replacements, ideally with technological upgrades.I am quite Bluetooth dependent on my iPhone And am quite interested in rechargeable units, if all that can be found in a single unit. I have trouble keeping devices in my ears, as my jaw movement dislodges units fairly rapidly, so I depend on ear-molds to keep the BTE receiver in place. Any all-that recommendations?

Relative to the feedback, I have HA’s and molds made by ReSound and use Select-A-Vent and deliberately occlude the vents with inserts. My left ear canal is narrow but the mold fits so well when the feedback test is run (where by making a loud noise in the ear, the sound from the receiver is deliberately looped back to the external mics to try to create feedback and the software institutes the amount of feedback control needed to suppress feedback), the left HA needs essentially no feedback control. The right HA mold does not fit so tightly as a little leakage shows on the fitting chart but the feedback control suppresses any in-use feedback. The only time I get feedback from my HA’s is on insertion/removal if the receiver opening comes to close to my ear lobe. So it’s probably true for other brands of HA’s as well but with little or no venting, a good fitting mold, and running feedback control in the fitting software, one can be almost feedback-free. Perhaps you’re suggesting your HA’s have become defective but if not you might consider some or all of the possibilities I mention (venting, running the feedback test, and considering whether the molds still fit adequately). I have relatively little lifetime experience with HA’s and maybe I’m just darn lucky - my molds stay in place very well, too, so that could be part of your problem if yours don’t. Probably already answered elsewhere on forum but perhaps the molds made by/through Costco for, say, ReSound Preza’s, are not from ReSound but a 3rd-party contractor or a subsidiary of Costco?

I’ve had issues with Motorola, Oneplus, and Xiaomi phones do not remember the model of the phones atm, but I know for a fact that Phonak on their website shows that their hearing aids have complete support for the phones I tried. I am still facing issues, only “fix” is not have it in the upper pockets of my backback or chest pockets of my shirt. IMO bluetooth is half-baked for phonak.

Half baked, haven’t heard that in a long time. I like it.

Interesting how so many have great results with the Phonak Marvel phone calls and others don’t.

Way back I remember the pros talking about this. It was very important that the aids be properly set up by the audiologist for correct phone functions. Seems I remember the acoustics and feedback manager have to be set up properly for phone functions to work right.

1 Like

I’ve been accustomed to using Bluetooth Classic for many years and it works with my Phonak Marvels, my Pixel 3 XL and my Asus ZenBook Pro Duo computer, just as I expect it to. For me its “fully-baked”. :slight_smile:

I have a several ideas for you to look into. I hesitate to recommend hearing aids to anyone as people hearing is as different as people and what they want in a hearing aid is also as diverse. As you said you like technology I would recommend the top level of the hearing aid as this gives you the most technology and adaptability. This also come with a price. These are just some examples one hearing aid that comes with everything on it from Bluetooth to t-coil is the phonak marvels line. They come in rechargeable and a battery line. They include a wide range of features and are compatible with the Roger line of support devices. It works with an app to allow you to adjust the settings of the hearing aid. The next hearing aid you may want to check out is Starkey livio AI. It too comes with everything on it as well including Bluetooth. I would look into the 2400 AI Edge. It comes in rechargeable and battery models. It too works with an app to allow adjustments and access to other features. Like translation directly into your hearing aid from another language. It too has its own devices with it works with like a table mic. If you use the Edge you in for a treat. The nice thing is these two brands are also compatible with Android as well for streaming.
With that said once you decide on the maker of the hearing aid look them up on their website. Call them or talk to them. Explain you would like to buy and use their hearing aid. If they are like Starkey, widex and Phonax they will get you in touch with an audiologists in you area that knows the hearing aids you choose. Here is the advantage it is in the manufacture best interest to get into a highly qualified audiologists that knows their hearing aid well and is good to work with you. Otherwise they lose a sale. Nothing makes it harder then to not be able to get adjustments done in a timely matter. I did this after having a disaster with my first hearing aids and the difference is amazing. I got great hearing aids and service too. You may also want to make sure the audiologists can use remote programing in this time of Covid 19. So they can make adjustments to your hearing aids remotely without an office visit. I wish you the best of luck and hope you find a great match of hearing aids to your hearing loss and service.

2 Likes

still have tons of issues, of the audio cutting out when on PC. there is a lag of a few seconds where nothing plays on PC.

While on mobile the same issue is plaguing me where outside the connectivity or audio cuts often unless it’s in my breast pocket.

It’s honestly gotten to the point of infuriation. So yes it is half-baked especially given that some users get good experience while others do not. In comparison my broken bluetooth earbuds still work better than my hearing aids for audio content.

“Much to learn, Phonak still have” - Yoda