Quick question

It sounds like they are not very motivated to wear hearing aids. I don’t know of any options that don’t involve sticking something in the ear.

1 Like

Thank you for your response It’s not that they are not motivated to wear them as they kept wearing them for awhile in the hopes of getting use to it but it’s just that they never could stand the feeling of having something right inside the ear canal.

Some people need to try multiple different kinds of domes/inserts to find something that works.

Thank you I was hoping that there would be something I could tell them as when they went to see your audiologist last they were adment that they had to have a big double dome and couldn’t give them anything smaller so I was wondering if I could mention some options to them like a custom Mold or something so as they had something they could mention trying instead of being told this was there only one option they had.

Custom mold is certainly an option and there are different materials they can be made from. There are also foam tips, but they all go in the ear… There are multiple people on the forum who have tried different options that worked for them.

The fit should be comfortable. I can’t tell if mine are on/in unless I reach up and touch it, and that’s the norm. It has to go fully in the ear canal. It could be that the dome is not the right size, and it is easy to try another size.

You mentioned double-domes. These stop up your ear and your own voice sounds loud. Custom molds could have a vent and maybe those will be more comfortable. It takes a couple of months of wearing them 18 hours a day to get used to them.

Bone conductor hearing aids: Trial them on a softband; and if they work, get the posts.

Alternately, your friend can get an implanted hearing aid, such as the Envoy Esteem or Otologics Carina

How about Lyric hearing aids? Less drastic than surgery.

If they don’t like the feeling of a dome a deep fitted permanent IIC is going to be unlikely to suit better.

I have to disagree with your statement about Lyrics. I know people on this forum don’t think very highly of them, but I did wear them for sometime and I felt like i had nothing at all in my ear. Might be worth a try.

We really don’t know much about his loss other than one audiologist says he needs double domes.

this is why earmolds are always better! :wink:

Maybe they simply have unrealistic expectations. None of us particularly like having these things (CICs, ITEs, domes, molds) in our ears. But one gets used to it. If some sort of unusual ear canal hypersensitivity medical issue is suspected, perhaps an ENT physician could diagnose this.

There is a period of adjustment. Your friend needs to be motivated to getting through that period of adjustment. Yes, it feels different. Yes, you can notice when you have your hearing aids in. One has to get used to it.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Unfortunately they have decided not to continue with wearing their hearing aid after consulting there audiologist the problem was never to do with motivation for wearing it but to do with the sensation it gave them which was like a feeling of being unbalanced when they had it there ear so it was decided that it shouldn’t be worn.

It’s really hard to offer much in the way of help without having a better feel for the patient. If the issue truly is they can’t tolerate anything in their ear (seems doubtful to me, but I never say never), perhaps something like this would be helpful: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Williams-Sound-PKTD1-EH-Pocketalker-Ultra-with-Duo-Pack-System/42533016?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=425&adid=22222222227031565951&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=56739010856&wl4=pla-101656495016&wl5=9031813&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111840112&wl11=online&wl12=42533016&wl13=&veh=sem It’s clunky and not near as helpful as a hearing aid, but if the person is having problems hearing and they won’t wear a hearing aid, it might be of some use.

Auricular branch of the Vagus nerve can give some people a hefty reaction yo a foreign body in the canal: Auricular branch of vagus nerve - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

2 Likes

Curious of incidence of this. Have you seen any/many? If so, what approach do you take?

Making a helix only skeletal mould, usually in semi-soft lucite/acrylic takes the ‘load’ off the canal in extreme cases.

Otherwise repeated use off a different soft dome may help. Starkey used to make some propellor shaped ones.

1 Like

Been through the same issue. Have had ear molds on my prior and current HA. they are great. No sense of feeling any discomfort. A plus is that the sound is drastically better that a plug. A relatively small investment with a great return.