Questions about Hearing Test and Hearing Aid Purchases

Good Evening,

Due to having tinnitus, my doctor sent me to an audiologist. I went to the appointment and she completed some tests and told me they give clients hearing aids the same day so they have them when they leave the appointment. After the tests, she told me I needed hearing aids due to my tinnitus and high frequency hearing loss. She did not go in detail about what was a good range or what my results yielded or give me any printed results/reports. She also refused to look me in the eye during the entire discussion. It was very awkward, but since my doctor who I trust sent me there and they have a great rating, I figured it was just me. She offered me three options for hearing aids (ReSound OMNIA 5, 7 and 9). She calibrated the ReSound OMNIA 9 for my ears and told me it would be $7,000 for them or I could go to a lower set that was not as good, but if I did not like it, I could return them within the 30-Day trial period. I selected the ReSound OMNIA 5 for $5,000, but even as I was leaving they still wanted me to go with the ReSound OMNIA 9 instead, but I explained that I do not have any funds and I will have to get a loan for the Omnia 5. It has only been two weeks and I have only noticed a very slight difference when I turned them on (unless they are turned up very loud). When it is normal, there is not much difference versus when I mute them. Plus, when I look online, the same pair only costs between $2,000 and $3,000 per pair. I have not been wearing them lately because it also seems to cause some conversations to be muffled. I have never bought hearing aids before and need advice on this situation. Are you supposed to get a second opinion before making a purchase or are all the tests the same? Is this how testing typically works? Also, if I do buy hearing aids at an online store, do local audiologist calibrate them, if needed? Any help/opinions are appreciated.

1 Like

Those look like prices each, not per pair. Many audiologists bundle 3 years of services into the cost of the aids too.

When you buy hearing aids you are really paying for the skills and expertise of the person testing and fitting. Be sure to tell them what works for you and what does not.

Many people find the most economical hearing aids from Costco. They are usually one half to one third the normal price. They have a 6 month refund policy too.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I am going to check on the options offered by Costco.

2 Likes

Go to Costco and try the HA recommended for 6 months. If suitable and fit your lifestyle, buy it. Takes your time to read up on the Hearing Tracker forum and learned along. Everyone in this Forum is very helpful and brilliant!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, and I’m sorry you had such an unpleasant experience with that audiologist. I can’t stand AuD’s doing the hard sell and pressurizing people like car salesman.

Firstly return the Omnia 5 for a refund. Do it before you go anywhere else. So the audiologist you saw can’t not give you a full refund.

Then go to Costco they sell Resound under a different name. Ask the AuD to explain your audiogram to you. Also ask for a copy of it for your own file.

3 Likes

Be sure to research their models here. They usually use different brands and exclusive model names but they are equivalent to the major models. I believe they tend to be the highest technology levels too.

https://www.costco.com/hearing-aid-center.html

2 Likes

Always make sure to get a copy of your audiogram (hearing test results). If you’re tested somewhere else you’ll have this for comparison and for future testing to know how your hearing has changed if it has. Also, you’ll be better informed about your own hearing loss and can look up parts of it online for more info.

Anyone who wants to sell you a product will sell it to you later as well as on the spur of the moment. So give yourself time to think about it, check other options, ask for more info or whatever you need before purchasing.

Some audiologists will calibrate hearing aids you didn’t buy from them on a fee for service basis as long as it’s a brand of hearing aid they’re familiar with. I’m talking about in the U.S. If you go with Costco, that will likely be the only place you can go for fitting since they’re the only places that sells the hearing aids they carry. But you can go to any Costco store anywhere and even get fine-tuning done remotely.

Now that you’ve had an experience with an audiologist/testing, I’d suggest going to your next visit–wherever you go–with a few questions that matter to you and make sure to get them answered. In my experience, the Costco fitter told me almost nothing about my test or the aids–kind of like your experience but without the hard sell. I’ve found Costco people very accommodating so far. But, I had many years of hearing aid wearing experience to bring to what they were doing so I didn’t feel lost or overwhelmed by the lack of info and need to make a decision. Even so, there were things I missed and didn’t think to question. No big deal, it just helps to have checked out what you can in advance and take questions with you. If any audi or fitter is reluctant to answer them, that’s a red flag.

Good luck.

2 Likes

I agree. In my experience, there are not many places that will adjust aids they did not sell. One advantage of Costco is that any location will service them. I just had my receivers replaced by a different location because we were already there on a shopping trip.

My KS8 are made by Rexton. Duke Health sells a sister brand, Signia but they want to see if they can adjust my aids later this month.

2 Likes