Question about tinnitus management

Hi recently got tinnitus management turned on in my phonak cros aids and it has helped a lot with my tinnitus but it’s taking awhile to get use to as I can hear voices and stuff but it kind of stands out and sounds very loud. My question is should it sound loud or should it be more blended in with the level of gain for my hearing loss so it doesn’t stand out so much I’m very new to this and don’t know what I should be expecting with tinnitus management. If anyone can let me know if the tinnitus management should loud or if it should be more blended in with other sounds I’m hearing

I think it’s pretty much user’s preference. If it seems too loud, have them turn it down.

@MDB thanks for that I might do that if it continues to sound loud but I think I’ll give it a week as it’s only my third day with the tinnitus management on. I want to see if it’s something I’ll adjust to as it’s not a major issue just a bit weird to me at the minute and kind of learning what to expect and I don’t know if it should blend in more so will wait and see in a week

1 Like

Only downside that I can think of keeping it loud is that might also mask environmental sounds you want to hear. Seems like ideal would be just loud enough to mask (or almost mask) tinnitus.

Best volume (in my experience) is just below the volume level of your tinnitus. This seems counter intuitive, but the brain knows it is there and looks for it. I don’t use the built-in masking since I went with activevents, but I have several other devices for masking. Quieter is better. As it “put it up next to my head to hear it just to check it is really on” quieter.

I seem to recall having some control over the volume level, but it has been about a year and a half since I got the activevents.

Matthew Alsop has some good videos on tinnitus, here is one: Try THIS Proven ABC Strategy for Tinnitus Relief! - YouTube
Surely you can find others after checking that one out.

Best wishes!

WH

@WhiteHat thanks for this I have had a look at the video linked and I understand what he is saying but for me the tinnitus is just there from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep again and I can’t identify any triggers for it. I’ve always had a low level tinnitus that wasn’t really any trouble until recently as I hardly noticed it unless I was very tired. Now it’s just there

The next step then is CBT. I have it in both ears, but right is continuous. Drove me nuts when we first got sent home for Covid. Doc sent me to ent and eventually got me to a treatment that used CBT. Tools to help you learn to mask, or ignore, or otherwise live with, via a variety of tools, that sound you can’t get away from.

WH

1 Like

What Brand of Cros HA are they?Sometimes having the Volumn and Bass setting high is worse than having it set medium to low.You must be Deaf in one ear only?

@btrauma58 ive have phonak Cros ii I have profound hearing loss in my left ear and mild to profound / severe hearing loss in my right ear

My personal preference is below the level on the voices. It can still be heard in silence, but it’s not intrusive when people are speaking.