Question about an audiogram and hearing clocks tick

I notice on an audiogram that there is a clock face in the high frequencies. I assume that means you can hear a clock tick?

How close should you be to a clock to hear it ticking?

I don’t have a clock so I tried You Tube and could hear a clock tick in my right ear at about half the volume of my iPod.

Is that a good thing or is it not correct?

Every ticking clock will have its own frequency and volume; there’s just no way to answer your question.

2 Likes

I do know when Sound Recover 2 was set better for my hearing loss I could hear the clock in our office ticking. Before I could not hear the clock.
This goes for many household sounds.

1 Like

Many years since I heard a ticking clock, I didn’t know that they still existed except as antiques. But without my HAs I cannot hear the turn signal in my car.

2 Likes

I got my new aids yesterday. We have a clock in the kitchen, over a door. I can hear that across the room. I never knew a battery powered clock had a tick…

1 Like

My wife believes in clocks, we have one in each room of our home and I can hear a mix of all of them at once. For me when I first got my aids it was the car turn signals that ran me crazy trying to figure out that noise

1 Like

I have normal high frequency hearing out to about 16 kHz and I can hear some clocks and not others. Ticking clocks are annoying and I immediately get rid of any clock that has an audible tick. Particularly, those cheap little analogue clocks that run off of a AA battery will keep me from getting to sleep. Old wind-up watches are audible, but typically only pretty close to the ear.

When I first got my hearing aids I could hear clocks ticking again at work but I’ve tuned them out now. As the first reply said all clocks will be slightly different frequencies and volumes, especially compared to a Youtube recording. I’m also not sure how loud iPods are except that when it starts showing yellow in the volume bar you’ve passed 85dB

The old saying is “be careful what you wish for”. It was not that long ago, but before aids, and certainly after my hearing loss that I spend a lot of time, and money getting rid of all the clocks in the house that tick. It was driving me crazy. I finally found some where the second hand just goes smoothly and quietly around with no tick, but you have to pay extra for them. After that exercise, I discovered that you can kill quite a bit of the tick if you just remove the second hand.

Back to your question though. I have to assume because clock ticking was annoying to me, it must be a lower frequency issue. I don’t have great high frequency hearing.

1 Like

Can you post a picture of the audiogram? Because most of the replies don’t seem to respond to your question, which I think was: why is there a clock face on my audiogram and what does it mean?

Oh right I definitely misunderstood what OP was asking if Freedom is correct. I would assume that it means an average clock will tick at the frequency and volume it appears on the audiogram. I would also assume that would be sitting in a quiet room but there’s probably no way to tell that if it doesn’t say

1 Like