Programming the Oticon Alta Pro miniRITE

No need to subscribe. Not much activity here. You can get to this example, and several others from the links in my signature line. Click them!

Thank you for making your Sig. links visible in the PM. I will read and post questions in forums.

I do not make my signature visible. The forum software makes signature information visible. You should seek a solution that includes professional support. I think you need that support. Have you looked at solutions offered at Costco?

Do you know where I can get the flex strips? I have the Nera 2 Pro miniRITE HAs. I have been searching all over for the strips.

Got them from someone on eBay!

Hi pvc
(and all fellow deaf and not dumbers on this forum)

THIS IS URGENT HOPE YOU ARE STILL AROUND

I’m a new member here, so please bear with me… this post re the Oticon Alto seem dated now but still relevant to me cause am looking to buy a pair OTICON RIA 2 PRO TI, the 85db BTE one due to my ski slope audiogram (high tone profound deafness) that is somewhat worse than yours.

My Q is simple - do these instructions about programming the Alta using the USB mini Pro still apply now for/to the Ria 2 Pro, given the Ria 2 Pro is within the same family as the Alta and the Nera, now called “Legacy” by Oticon as result of Opn? Should I rather look to procure a NoahLink even if it is more expensive - will that work to program the Ria 2 Pros?

BOTTOM LINE
What do I need to DIY the Ria 2 Pros (and its family)
-Software, yes I noted the Genie links
-Hardware, this is what am really not sure about

*BTW I’m a life long user of Oticon HAs but over last year really got fed up with this “Microsoft” way of forcing people to the next gen, while the last gen still works just fine. With every new version of the HA they say they have now done something yet more radical re, e.g. even more x% focus bla bla bla within a noisy environment, while the “Legacy” version brochure stated excactly the same, just 1/2/3 years back…

…and the PRICES have forced me to now go the route to procure HAs via the Internet and DIY, this is simply not working for me, my ex-audiologist did not even know how to program my last pair of Oticon Epoq XW then top of the range HAs - I had to show her… NO MORE

I’m hoping for a response, like really

Read Page-2 carefully. Programming cable connection is dependent on the Ria2 hearing aid style.

Hi and thank you for a wonderful guide. I am currently downloading the Oticon software. I found the mini Pro and the CS44 cables on AliExpress. However, I am unable to find a source for the Flexconnect # 390-01-180-05. Any idea where two of these could be purchased?
Thanks,
Frank

Hi,
I have finally obtained the Oticon software, Mini Pro, CS44 cables and Flexconnectors. Using the above guide, I can’t seem to get the software to detect my Alta Pros.

Running Genie 2017.1, under preferences, I can click “DETECT” under Programming Device and “HI-PRO VER 02” is listed with the serial number. The “SELECT” button next to “DETECT” is grayed out.

Running Genie 2, the detect button in the upper left is grayed out. If I click “Update instrument firmware” the firmware updater opens, the yellow pc light flashes several times, then the blue flashes, then the red flashes and a message says “No instruments detected. To detect instruments, use a cable connection”

I have checked all connections several times. Any ideas how to proceed?

Thanks,
Frank

Ive got all the cables and the Genie software installed. Still looking for a Hi-Pro or mini-pro with USB interface. I have the Alta2 Pro Ti Oticon HA’s so you’ll use the same setup as me. I’ll keep you posted.

I finally got a Hi-Pro USB on Amazon with US-based delivery. Cost a little more but I will only have access to my desktop PC for a few weeks before I’m off to Las Vegas with a Linux Mint based laptop.

One key point to be aware of. Genie software apparently expected to see the Hi-Pro as Com Port 1 thru 4. Mine had auto configured to Com5 but I changed it in Device Manager to Com2.

Installed the software, changed the com port, plugged in the USB and the lights happily came on. Hooked up the cables to the ribbons, changed the batteries in the aids, snapped the ribbons in place >as instructed on Genie (thank you, Oticon). Son of a gun. The Hi-Pro was detected and my aids were detected. YAYYY!!!

I feel a little like a dog chasing a car…what does he do when he catches it?

I’d love to link up with someone self-programming their Oticon hearing aids using the Genie 1 software as opposed to Genie 2 which is for the newer aids.

I went in and set myself up as a client, selected the family as Alta2 Pro Ti and updated firmware on my streamer. I stepped through fitting without touching anything and saved the configuration as a standalone database vs. reprogramming the aids to what they had already as a configuration baseliine.

There are SO MANY OPTIONS…some obvious, some not so obvious that I’m a bit overwhelmed at the moment. I want to make sure I actually captured the instruments’ current settings as a “Genie baseline file” before I start going crazy. I’m working hard at being patient and taking lots of time.

All pointers and advice, especially Oticon-based, greatly appreciated.

Congratulations.
It is a good feeling.
My understanding of hearing aid software is the more you learn the more you realize you don’t know. It’s that deep.

You are not alone with the Genie 1. You will have comrades.

What the hell…I made my first change using my setup. I added tinnitus support in my base program and I changed the “philosophy setting” from Balanced to Exact. So far so good!!

I’ve only used Genie to change a couple of options on my Streamer as I don’t have the connectivity hardware for my HAs.

I think perhaps the key thing to do is either backup your existing settings if possible or take screenshots of the settings screens as they are now so you can ‘undo’ any ‘mistakes’ if necessary.

Additionally, I’d only ever change one thing at a time so you know exactly what you changed and the impact it had.

One last thing - make a notebook to act as a ‘change-log’ so you have a journal of what you have tried.

To add to davart reply, with Phonak there is a place in the software to add notes on each session.
Another thing I do is add a client. This way you can leave the original programming alone. Use this new client to copy the programming and then try things. One thing at a time can be the smart way. My latest new client is Joe Blow.

I use Google Keep checklist style notes. I record my observations and likely next actions via tablet or phone or PC…stored in cloud. Then I get into Genie and work them off, crossing them out as I go. When I’m done with Genie, I reboot into Linux Mint because I just can’t take Windows any more than I have to these days. A total meltdown caused by their “quality update” forced me to finally bite the bullet and I love it.

Hi, sorry to revive this old thread but the pictures are not working so i cannot understand exactly what cables i would need for my mini pro and opn S aids. Anyone got working pictures links?

@dimitrispap

Maybe this would help?

Thanks for the reply, I’ve discovered that my cs53 flex cables are fine for connecting my opn’s but for some reason the port on the mini pro that connects the left hearing aid is not working sadly… The other port works fine and Genie2 is reading the hearing aid but the other one is not, maybe the port has malfunctioned because i checked with the other flex cable but still no luck. So now i’m not sure what to do… I don’t wanna mess with the hearing aid at once, wanted to make some settings on the 2 ha’s at the same time.

Sometimes the flex strip can be slightly misaligned. That is, slightly slanted to the left or right.

Do this test; Once you get one side working, try unplugging the mini-DIN end of the cable from the mini Pro and plug it into the opposite port on the mini Pro. If it connects on both sides then both of your mini Pro ports are working.

If the above works, then be careful about flex strip alignment being straight down the middle.