Problem with tubing for mould on cros aid

I was cleaning my Phonak Cros ii aid earlier and the tubing slipped out of the mould this has happened before and i was able to get it back in.This time when i go to try and put it back in the mould it gets to a certain point then won’t go any further in. Doe anyone have any tips on how to get it back in or do i have to make an appointment to get this sorted out.

1 Like

Hi @LRav, it is far better to teach yourself the simple task of replacing tubing for yourself, I always ask for tubing from my private A.uD or indeed, the NHS A.uD, saves you much time, on waiting for an appointment, and it’s easy with a little practice, there are loads of tutorials on YouTube… Cheers Kev :smile:

Preformatted texthttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a2vQed2XlkE

2 Likes

What I do is bringing in a lead, a small copper electrical wiring or something like that, in my mould. Than I cut about 1cm of my tube in the length so it becomes a more pointlike thinner end. Push my tube over the ‘leadwire’ in the mould and pull it out at the other side… After that cut it of with scissors and pull it back a little bit so it ends in the mold. Hope this helps.

More or less as @kevels55 youtube link shows, this is clearer then text alone. In my mold there is too much bending so I use the trick with a leadwire.

2 Likes

@kevels55 I’ve tried doing the tubing myself in the past and find it just a bit fiddly. as my fingers start to hurt and then my hands start shaking and it makes it very hard but might give it one more try.I also don’t know if the mould is damaged and that’s what might be stopping it going further than just past half way up it feel’s like it just won’t move.

This is what looks like the end sticks out a fair way when you feed it into the mould

1 Like

Hi @LRav, take your time practicing the tubing replacement, once you get the hang of it, it’s very simple, cutting the tubing correctly is the key, I split it to about a third of its normal size, approximately about an inch long, it makes it far easier to insert, and then pull through… As for your present situation, I would gently heat the mould with a hair dryer, so the hole opening expands slightly, stick the tubing in the freezer for a few minutes, so it contracts, and goes slightly stiffer, and see if that works? Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

@kevels55 thanks will give that a try

It’s worked don’t know how long it will last. I think I’m not take the mould off the hook to clean the tubing again as when i did the tubing came right out of the mould.Until i manage to sort something better out i think it is the mould as even your trick you mentioned was not easy to get the tubing back in. Might have to get them to do a new mould for the left side

1 Like

Okay @LRav at least you have a temporary fix, thank you for letting me know, cheers Kev :smile:

Did you tried my above mentioned trick with a leadwire too? As you did not respond to if it was helpful to you. You could even use a bit of Vaseline or an oil as Silicone or baby or massage oil to have a better sliding of the tube in your mould.

Wish you success.

@emile.heilbron thank you for that but unfortunately i wasn’t albe to try your trick as i looked and didn’t have anything that would of been suitable to do that but maybe in the future

@LRav
Thanks for your reply. So sorry to hear that it didn’t work for you at the moment. Your pictures were excellent, so I thought you’ll manage for sure and was a bit disappointed you didn’t succeed.

I include two pictures to show you the double bending in my big mould which makes it a tough job to bring the tube in also.
On the pictures I just used an old violin string which is a good stiff guide to use for instance, but I can imagine you could just use anything alike. Don’t forget to make the tube slippery at forehand.

4 Likes