Price on Oticon OPN

For those of you who have actually bought from Buyhear and received the OPN’s, what do they send you to use for remote adjustment?

I was told they send a wifi notebook and talk to you over the telephone when they adjust. Why I was told, no experience yet.

M

Yes, that is correct. I got my order (Oticon OPNs) from Buyhear yesterday and they sent the order with the Wi-Fi notebook since I wanted to see if we could get any adjustments out of the way right off the bat.

I ordered a pair of Oticon OPNs from the internet. They are costing me $1100 (edit: Plus my insurance). They don’t have a TV streamer, but hopefully I will be able to pick one up when they become available.

Thanks to all members for their replies to the thread I started.

M

1100$ for a pair of OPN’s? Are you sure. Would you please share more detail?

When Buyhear sends a wifi notebook, does that actually connect wirelessly (Bluetooth?) to the OPN’s. I though one needed a cabled setup, like Hi-Pro, to program?

Another question about Buyhear. Do they make molds also or does this only work with the dome setups?

Also, since so many are so touchy about repeat posts. I really did try to read everything before even making a first post here. I do have much to share. So if I ask a repeat question then please accept my apology for doing so but often it is much better to have a real discussion then simply going by archives and I appreciate that very much. I myself don’t mind asking newbee questions 100 times. Newbees often need a hand to enter this new world of HA’s rather then the dry comment of google it. Thank you for acceptance into this community. I will do my best to reciprocate.

Yes sir !! My Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield pays $2500. My part is $1100. Great news for the pair , less than one aid at the first place I checked.

M

Pardon, I must have missed the part of Federal and Insurance contribution in a previous posting. To me it appeared you referenced to the actual price of a OPN.

They only use domes. Molds need an impression made of your ear.

Sorry I have posted in quite a few OPN threads. My bad for not including details. I was on my iPhone…

M

I am aware what it takes to make molds. I have had a few made in the past. Including remotely, by sending in impressions for custom IEM’s . My question only was if this service BuyHear offers this. But it looks like they don’t.

In addition to this fact and my audiologist being able to make endless adjustments, try different mold options. put me into that testing booth repeatedly. Now on the fourth week testing OPN, etc, they maybe a good reason to pay that higher price they ask. Question is what is a fair price to negotiate.

Just got a flier from my Medicare Part D insurer. They participate with Hearing Care Solutions. For the heck of it I called. Very nice young man on the phone, didn’t ask any information except my zip code. Oticon Opns are $1995 each with 1 year full service, 3 year warranty, 3 years batteries, and 45 day trial. The participating providers nearby are one man shops, one with an audiologist, the other with an HIS. Neither mentions Oticon on their website.

The 30 day free-return trial on my Opns runs out over the weekend. Even though I’m paying $1000 more per aid, I’ve been impressed by this audiologist’s skills at both testing and fitting the aids. It took only two minor adjustments after the initial fitting to get them just about perfect. Somehow I’m not inclined to start over, but if I was just starting out on choosing new aids I would definitely look into this program more completely.

Has anyone used Hearing Care Solutions?

Good info Diana !!

Thanks!

M

Ended up going with buyhear.com for $3600. This photo is what I received in mail 5 days later. So far all is great.

Thanks,

M

DianaS,

Who is your Part D insurer?

Fred

First Health Part D. It is part of the Coventry/Aetna system.

Interestingly I just received an official answer in writing from Oticon about OPN hearing aids and the point that folks bring up about the different levels of OPN and pricing.

QUOTE:

We apologize if we failed to answer your question. Oticon will often offer instruments that incorporate the same processing chip at several performance levels. The first released is the premium product, which in this case is Opn. At this time, Opn remains the only product on our new Velox digital processing chip. While we anticipate other products on the Velox chip will be released, we have no advance information on what they may be, or when they might be released. Our website is updated when new products become available.

Best Regards,

Technical Support Audiology
Oticon, Inc.
Email peoplefirst@oticonusa.com
Web www.oticon.com

So forum members that keep saying there are different levels of OPN, ARE WRONG !!

Thanks

M

So he can shut down the party and clear out the empties? :slight_smile:

Hi, new to this forum.
I’ve been wearing HA’s of various types for 25 years, mostly CIC. Recently I had a quick (four day) demo of the Oticon OPN. For me, in the brief time I wore these, much clearer & natural sound and way better speech in noise recognition then my current six year old starkey CIC. I was sold on the first day, even though I’ve never liked non-CIC designs before. Ever since I’ve been researching OPN price options, so here I am :). My long term audi in Oregon quoted $7k (and that was supposed to be their “sale” price). On Maui where I live, quoted $6.8K by a local audi. HCS quoted me $3,990 for a pair, but unfortunately no local provider on the HCS plan on Maui (yet). After reading other stories, BuyHear seems like a very viable option for me.

My main concern is with programming and repairs over the years. For programming, I understand that BuyHear does the initial setup based on audiogram. I should note that my audi in OR did this, and it took him about five mins to do so. The whole process with these seems much easier than earlier models (which required a physical wire attached to the HA). So basic programming seems easy and remote or even at home programming much more possible. In my experience getting the audi to get things “right” in a 30 minute office visit is much trial & error, some guesswork & intuition, plus a fair amount of luck. I’ve worked with some good ones over the years (Boston, Portland, etc) with probably 50+ audi visits in my life experience, and every one is a cross your fingers hope this actually improved things situation. I always look over the audi shoulders as they try this and that and have learned a thing or two (I ask lots of questions, I’m a software + elec engineer, which helps). So the more the HA themselves can auto adjust, or for that matter not need adjusting, the better IMO. So what I’m saying is, the idea that the OPN possibly won’t need as much adjustment in the first place is appealing, and in that regard buying online doesn’t seem so crazy. Plus BuyHear can do an adjustment, by sending some sort of kit? Be nice to know what this kit actually is. However I have downloaded the Genie2 software, and I found an online source for the Oticon Fitting link 3 (USB to 2.4 Ghz) device online (German site) http://revear-shop.de/oticon-fitting-link-30-programmierschnittstelle
I’ve always like the idea of programming/adjusting these myselves. With the software and the Fitting Link device, we can do this ourselves, yes? If so this seems like an interesting solution. Anyone tried this?

As for warranty repairs, this would be a matter if mailing the broken HA back to BuyHear I assume, and no worries otherwise? Which is more or less how I already deal with repairs right now on Maui (mail back to OR), so no big deal.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to try the BuyHear.com route plus adjust/program myself if possible. Welcome any thoughts. Mahalo!

–Ben

The remote programming is pretty painless. They send you a wifi connected tablet with a Bluetooth dongle that wirelessly connects to the aids. They then program them using the genie software. They let you hang onto the tablet until you’re fully satisfied with the programming so you can take your time and make sure the adjustments are working out in real world use.