Power domes versus custom moulds

[I’ve read the previous similar-sounding threads, but didn’t see anything that applied to the situation I describe below.]

I used KS8’s with power domes for several years. A couple years ago I bought Jabra EP 10’s, and decided to get custom moulds with the initial order. After using power domes for so many years, I’m used to and don’t mind the occlusion.

The Jabras initially came with a large vent hole, despite my requesting no vent hole. Sure enough, they performed poorly during the short time I wore them like that before heading back to have Costco put in vent hold plugs.

The result is still not what I would expect. The moulds feel like they’re snug (and are definitely easier to insert), but they seem to leak sound. Here’s one indication: I can cup my hand over my ear while wearing my KS8’s and get zero feedback. When I do this with the Jabra’s, the feedback is apparent not only to me, but to my wife as well. Another indication is that the techs at Costco have been unable to tune them so they perform as well as the KS8’s.

Is it possible for a mould to feel snug but still leak significant sound? The plugs they put in are a piece of plastic, about the same depth as the hole diameter (3-4 mm?), placed in the outside end. Perhaps an additional plug on the inside end would help? If there is a “reduce feedback” knob in the fitting software, what are the downsides of turning it up to 11? I have had mixed success with the hearing aid techs at Costco, and would like to have a rough idea of what they can twiddle to help this in software, before looking at getting new moulds, or going to power domes on the Jabras.

I suspect the fit of the molds and not the plug. They can feel snug but still have gaps. They should be redone.

There are tips here for what to do while impressions are made. Not sure what we’ll do when the laser scanning becomes common.

WH

2 Likes

Your hearing loss is typically a custom earmold hearing loss but everyone is different. You just might have perfect ear canals the power domes do well in. Trying power domes with your Jabras just might be worth trying. It’s a very easy thing to do.

Moving to new aids can sure be challenging. The brain gets used to things and it just doesn’t want change.

3 Likes

I have power domes with my Jabras and like them a lot. No feedback and I do not feel them in my ears. The small bottle of ProEar by Miracell on Amazon has been a big help in making it all work out. For ease of inserting, stopping the itch and maybe even improving the seal,. It gives me a working solution.

I had been interested in custom molds but I keep hearing stories about folks having problems with them and needing to have them remade a lot. My power domes are working for me so I will stick with these for now at least.

Your hearing loss is significantly different than the OP’s. About 15-20 DB difference in the lower frequencies but I agree with you about dome comfort for many. Earmolds can sure be challenging for some.

1 Like

Thank you, I thought about that also but I forgot to make that comment. And, I agree with your comment to give them a try.

1 Like

Keep your mouth open while the impression material is setting, this ensures the ear canal will be at the best position for the earmolds to fit properly. Placing a curled finger between your teeth during the process gives the best position. Why? Because you normally do not clench your teeth together, but when you have the impression material placed, its normal to clench your teeth :slight_smile:

When you are relaxed and listening normally, your mouth is relaxed. Taking the impression mould for custom earmolds while your mouth is relaxed, ie, when your teeth are not clenched together should result in the best fit with minimal or no air gap.

PS, your audiologist should do a feedback check at the end of a fitting, in the software, this will do the necessary phase and frequency level changes to overcome the feedback problems.

I agree with Whitehat. They can have them redone at no additional cost.