Power Dome or Open dome? (Phonak Audeo P90-RT)

Hi.
I just started using Phonak Audeo P90-RT with Power domes, but I don’t like the sound, it’s like having my fingers in my ears and I don’t think i will get use to it so easy.
Do I really need to use power domes or do you think it will work with vented domes? (open domes will probably not work?)
And yes, I know I need to reprogram the HA in Phonak Target if I change the domes :slightly_smiling_face:

My software recommends power domes, but they are definitely not comfortable. I prefer my custom molds normally, but I do like having a reference for their quality. (Especially for the lower frequencies.)

What you could do is give the lower dome one or two snips. I cut them at a right angle from the side to the center. The domes won’t allow a pressure build up anymore, but don’t vent air continuously either.

The result is very nice and it was suggested to me by an audiologist some years ago. Basically, some ear canals don’t fit eiither of the domes very well. Mine fall between medium and small. However, small powerdomes fall out and medium powerdomes clog up.

1 Like

I had to have at least the power domes and they were not comfortable. I wound up building pressure in my ear. I just got molds with select a vent and they are awesome. Very comfortable.

1 Like

The software recommended vented domes, but my audiologist said that it wouldn’t work and changed to power domes in the software.

Thanks for the answers.
I guess I will try then, I just need to wait for my programmer to arrive.

When using vented domes, does the HA increase the volume (when programmed)?
Or what else would the different be when choosing vented domes over power domes in Phonak Target?

You will have to re-run feedback test in Target. As a result, the prescribed gain will certainly be reduced in some frequencies. In other words: vented domes let more of the sound leak back to the HA’s microphones. So the volume has to be partly reduced to prevent feedback.
And in addition, you will hear lesser in the low frequencies. Especially when streaming.

1 Like