Possible Processor Issues

After searching some and also not remembering anything about CI processor problems decided to ask
if there are any problems or issues one should be cautious of? We read about all the hearing aid issues regularly but rarely hear anything about processor issues or needed maintenance.

So, are there things that might become a problem if not taken care of routinely? Are there maintenance things we need to do to take care of our processors?
Thanks

3 Likes

One item of importance is to regularly change the filter on the CI processor. My CI is a Medel Sonnet and the recommended change time is 3 months. As the filter clogs up the sound to the microphones is reduced and so hearing performance is affected.

Another item I experience is perhaps dirty contacts in the battery case. Happens now and again when trying to stream. What works for me is to spray a little WD 40 on a cue tip and wipe off the battery electrical contacts and the circuit for the Roger receiver I use. This does the job right away.

Sooner or later the plastic coated wire that connects the processor to the magnet coil will fail. Best to have a spare one on hand so you can quickly replace it when the inevitable happens.

Lastly is to have a plug-in dryer with a UV light included. When the humidity is up there it helps to dry out the whole CI unit and prevent moisture corrosion inside the processor unit. Take the batteries out before placing your CI in the dryer.

1 Like

@rsinclair123 Thank you so much for this very helpful post. I really appreciate it.

The items you mentioned, I will discuss with my audiologist. Might get lucky and get extras at purchase time.

At this time I am 5 days away from the implant surgery. Planning to go with Cochlear’s Kanso 2 processor. I believe it has a rechargeable battery and comes with a charger/dryer. Not sure about the dryer having a UV light. I do know that has made a difference with ear infections with my aids.

Thanks again for your help.

@Raudrive all the items @rsinclair123 mentioned you gets spares with the initial kit but it’s important to note that each manufacturer is different. My Sonnet 2 uses the same battery cover, batteries, earhook, and microphone cover (that’s what @rsinclair123 is referring to as a filter) that their Sonnet does but it uses a different coil and a different coil wire. All these items are available for purchase from MED-EL’s store which you can access online after you’ve registered your warranty but the prices vary wildly per item and it’s not always logical (or inexpensive). Also insurance depending on what your benefits are will cover some of the periodic stuff and replacements every so many years.

1 Like

Rich,

The dryer I received with my N7 does not have a UV light it’s the Zephyr by Dry and Store. I do have the larger Global unit that I bought three years ago when I purchased my first set of HA’s. I also have one of those Perfect Dry Lux’s. Those two units have a UV light.

I have only used the Zephyr with my implant. I was wondering whether I could use a dryer with a UV with my processor. Is it safe or will it damage the processor?

Did you pick your accessories yet? I plan to exchange one of my processors for the Kanso2 when available.

1 Like

I read a long time ago when it was the N5, that the UV will damage the housing of the processor. I think that’s why Cochlear only hand out the Zephyr and Breeze.

2 Likes

Yes, at the CI evaluation we talked about the accessories. I remember having to pick 3 of the 4 at that time. I got the water kit, TV connector and the remote if memory is correct. My activation date is October 22 so hopefully the Kanso 2 will be available. From a forum post it appears to be in Germany.

1 Like

Thanks, I will be asking.

I will need to ask about this too being it’s Medicare plus supplemental.

1 Like

@Raudrive Rick did you have your surgery?

Not yet, 5 days away now.
All pre-op tests are completed. All systems go.
My plans now are to request the second implant the second I realize the first implant is looking good.

3 Likes

Nice nice nice.

I’ve got my first appointment for #2 on Tuesday midmorning.

2 Likes

MY n7 has been rock solid. No problem with the processor itself but i dropped it in water it started to break. . My brother stretched the coil cable because he was mad.

I only had to RMA a coil and the processor in my 2 years life span of using it in my waking hours.
Those thing were abuse related

My linx quattro is laughable in term of quaility and durability, I had to RMA it 4 times a year, it just stops working entirely.

I wished that Cochlear went with Oticon as a partner, I had no problem with durability of the hearing aid then when i had them…

Thanks for these replies.
It is starting to look like the reason I haven’t heard or read anything bad about the processors is they are very reliable. I suspect not putting them in a damp dirty ear canal has something to do with that. Might also be that by the time a person gets to the point of a cochlear implant they are more careful with the equipment.

1 Like

Each of the manufacturers has reliability reporting that’s public. It covers both the internal and external components.

http://www.medel.com/reliability-reporting (I had previously found their actual annual report but something seems to have changed with their website)

AB Technical Reports | Advanced Bionics (their report is all the way at the bottom; 2020 hasn’t been published yet)

You have to be careful though as the numbers can be used in really misleading ways.

1 Like

I decided on the Mini Mic 2, the TV streamer, the Y charger. I hear the TV fine without any streamer, but you never know. I have the certificate for the 4th so I’ll decide later on that.

The processor keeps coming off my ear (N7). I received a spare parts kit that included a small size ear hook. I swithched them and that helped, but the darned thing still comes off. I just ordered (not expenssive) a snugfit, retainer cord, and the N7 adapter. The first two will hep keep the processor on my ear and prevent loss. The N7 adapter allows you to attach the processor to the coil so that it is kind of like a Kanso.

My clinic is a two processor clinic so I plan to exchange the other processor to the Kanso2. I need this darned thing off my ear. I have small ears so that doesn’t help.

I’m happy with my N7 other than that. Understanding is coming along and hearing is awesome. Lower tones sound normal, but give my brain a chance. LOL!

The audiologist I am using with Cochlear has 2 implants with Kanso processors. I asked him about the need for Bluetooth devices, he doesn’t need any of them. He hears phone calls, TV and just about everything fine without the need of Bluetooth devices. The only time he has difficulty is when he is on a street corner with lots of noisy traffic for example. The remote mic might be a good accessory to have.

This is great news. I am happy for you.

1 Like

@Raudrive Thank you. I haven’t tried to re-pair my devices together yet. Will attempt this tonight.

So because I didn’t pair them, I just called a Chinese restaurant for some food. While the phone was ringing, I realized that I was hearing the phone through my processor only. I let the call go through. I was able to hear and understand the person on the otther end. Placed the order, no problem. Amazing!

You’ll be peased when you are activated!

1 Like

Do any of you have the loud chewing sound while eating? Similar to occluded ear molds with aids.

Just wondering about getting conversations back during breakfast, lunch or dinner.

I don’t. I just hear what the processor picks up.

1 Like