Pillow to assist sleeping on side while wearing HA

I have what I think is an unusual question. I need a pillow with a hole or recess where I can lay on my side and still wear my BTE HA. I have to listen for an elderly parent who tries to get up in the dark. If I lay on my back, I snore and my HA will amplify that and wake me up. If I lay on my side I don’t snore but the pressure of my head on the HA is quite uncomfortable.

Does anybody know of a pillow with a hole or recess or depression that can support a head and suspend the ear with the HA in it?

1 Like

:smile: pillow with hole! Simply use baby monitor and lamps with infrared motion sensors - and voila!

1 Like

This pillow is made for people with glasses but my friend with a BAHA uses it as well and she says it really works.

2 Likes

omg, that’s freaking perfect, as I wear glasses too. where oh where do I get one of those?

Google Image search result:

1 Like

Yep I just typed in glasses pillow in to google. You should then be able to find the cheapest place.

There are a couple of different hearing aid pillows out there but be warned, I have not found any of them particularly successful. Probably the best options I have found so far are the open U shaped small travel pillows with a clip to keep the U from splaying too much. I tried an expensive hearing aid pillow which I had to import from the USA but it really was not that comfortable. I would suggest trying the travel pillow first as they are cheaper. I didn’t like the ones with beads inside either as they just weren’t easy to retain a comfortable position. Avoid the round donut shaped ones as they don’t allow the sound in well.

3 Likes

Where do I get a mattress with a face hole so that I can sleep on my stomach without wrenching my neck…

2 Likes

I believe that is called a massage table. :smile:

3 Likes
2 Likes

I had a similar problem as I recently started sleeping with noise cancelling headphones, they are huge, and I was thinking of making a pillow to fit them.

As I have gotten older I prefer very small pillows, anything that raises my head when I sleep on my back causes me to snort and wakes me up. Sounds like you have a similar issue.

I had taken to using a folded towel as a pillow, was great for travel too, hotels always provide towels.

But a towel has no give, the headphones were impossible with that system.

But I had some memory foam laying around, from a mattress topper (2" thick 5 lb genuine polyurethane viscoelastic memory foam), I cut a pillow-sized piece out of it and it worked perfectly, no mods necessary., I just sink right into it.

A chunk of that stuff is $80ish from Amazon - twin bed 2" thick. If you like thicker pillows, try a 3" thick version. Avoid the gel-infused stuff.

1 Like

This forum is amazing!:astonished:

4 Likes

Hey mate,

Except for pillow, I could advise you re-think the matter what are you sleep on!
since not only the pillows affects, but sleep also the mattress, I found this guide on talkaboutsleep, I truly like their content!
https://www.talkaboutsleep.com/best-mattress-for-snoring
it’s a well-researched article and I believe that you must find which option to pick and improve your sleep experience! Sleep healthy! :zzz:

I once had the same issue. Elderly parent in end stage cancer. Lived with me and I was living alone at the time. He had a bell he would ring when he needed me. At first I though we would be ok if I did not wear my HAs to bed. But a few times he rang and rang the bell and I was in a deep sleep so didn’t wake.

I started sleeping with one hearing aid. That way I could sleep on my left side or my back and still get woke up every time by that bell.

Another idea is to buy some internet ITE or completely in canal aids. They might not be perfect or powerful enough for your loss but will allow you to at least hear your parent (with a bell -another good idea) and will have the freedoms to sleep how you wish. But they must fit in your canal tightly to avoid feedback.

Good luck!

1 Like

Here is another alternative, a smaller convenient pad that is much more affordable. You use it on top of your pillow, not in place of it. Also works with hearing aids, glasses, and Airpods.

MyComfyPad