Phonak users who DON'T use autosense

Thanks @DaveL Good info here. Will tinker and fiddle. Later I might tweak!
Big John

It turns out that my problem is not Autosense per se. When I am Bluetoothed to my phone for both streaming and phone calls, I have been getting five seconds of faint static every time I change Apps on the phone, or even take an action within an App. I am pretty sure it is a case of The Lumity HAs listening to the speaker behind my right ear for input. I can turn off this annoying feature by disabling Bluetooth for streaming and just using Bluethooth for phone calls.

I am hoping someone can tell me how to disable the microphone part of Bluetooth streaming. I don’t talk to any of my Apps, I only talk on the phone. I would love to have streaming in receive only mode and phone calls in two way mode.

Thoughts?
Big John

1 Like

As far as I know, what you want is impossible. The HA’s connect to the phone via Bluetooth in Headset mode, which means that the mic’s are always live.
I wanted a “just listen” mode for Zoom but even muting my mic in Zoom does not actually mute my mic’s so I always pick up the room noise as well as the streamed meeting.

1 Like

I thought this was possible, you could mute the microphones or attenuate them when streaming, Lumity doesn’t offer this? must be that “hands free” feature, still it doesn’t explain why you hear static, you shouldn’t.

Edit: I see you can mute the microphone’s for streaming but only -6dB for phone calls, its a “hands free” issue, you obviously need the microphones for talking so can’t mute them.

1 Like

I jacked up NoiseBlock and Soft Noise reduction in the Bluetooth streaming and phone options and haven’t heard the static since. Could be a fix! And I now have the confidence to return to full Automatic operations. Win-win.
Big John

1 Like
1 Like

Well done Big_John!

(The forum comment just advised me, “You’ve replied to Big_John 3 times. Did you know you could send a Private Message instead?”)

DaveL

Sounds like you got it sorted, this is the beauty of DIY ; )

2 Likes

I have Bolero Marvel M90 rechargeable aids, and have them dialed in so well that I can go all day running Autosense, and forget I am wearing hearing aids. About the only times I manually select a dedicated program is when playing my guitar or in a noisy car.

I could have easily gotten by with a lower grade M50 or M70, but having purchased mine used off Ebay, I had no choice. I really like wearing them, and highly value the Bluetooth binaural phone feature.

1 Like

Sorry, a dumb question from a relative newbie to ha’s, I have L70s and was wondering where this Autosense you talk about? How do I access it? Is it in the phonak app? If so where?

Thank you for any help

Autosense will be your start up program, so when you first turn them on in the morning, and yes it should show up in the App. Scroll down in the link provided and this will explain everything.

2 Likes

Is this controlled through the Phonak app?
I don’t see any screens like those posted above in the thread.

I see nowhere to control the ha except the sliders up and down and the programs a Ross the top for automatic, restaurant , tv etc

But I still feel I have to turn my ha up or down to the different areas I’m in during the day.

I believe it’s the default startup, just like when you turn on your computer, and it opens the “desk top.”
MyPhonak app will not control this.

Just to clarify, the App does not show “Autosense” as its not a program as per se, however it shows as “Automatic” and not Autosense. its one of the programs that can be changed like any other.

1 Like

oh my… came back here after a week and this thread is a funny read now. Ok so again, I have a pair of Phonak Virto M90s that I self program with Target 8.1. I also have a pair of Oticon Own 1’s that I program with Genie and both are ITC devices. I have been working with these for almost 2 years so I am intimately familiar with the programming options. The problem with Autosense 4.0 is NOT a programming issue so please stop with those misleading comments as by saying such you have successfully confused some folk here. As tenkan pointed out Autosense is NOT an actual program. It is a way to automatically switch between the program settings that Phonak has in place. Now I have all the separate programs set just fine, and truth be told, the setting for “speech in noise” and “speech in car” do actually function well in most environments. The PROBLEM, as the OP first pointed out, is Autosense has a tendency to “switch” programs at very inopportune times, and mistakes certain environments in such a way as it actually hinders better hearing.

Prime examples of that, my grandson plays in the high school marching band. When they play on the field and I am in the stands, Autosense will “hear” that as noise and mute it. When my family of 11 comes over to the house with 5 kids running around Autosense will drop in to “speech in noise” or “comfort in noise” (which invokes stereo zoom) and now I cant understand adult conversation on the side or behind me sitting at the table.

So while Autosense is in concept a fine idea, in practice it is no match for the human brain and for me and my lifestyle; was misreading situations about 30% of the time, which was just really annoying. NOW, all that said, I am 4 months in to my Oticons and they work TOTALLY different. There is no program switching. Now they do not do quite as good a job in noise suppression as my Phonaks do, but these are set and forget in my ears and I can hear conversations, in restaurants, band performances, and in the car fine. I would like to see a bit better speech in noise management there, but at this point the Phonaks are in manual mode, and are my back up emergency aids.

1 Like

@jsemberger Good post! You cleared up my confusion and are buttressing my decision to switch immediately from Phonak Lumitys to Oticon Real 1s. The only issue is Bluetooth and I think I will have to bite the bullet and switch from Android to IPhone. I’ll get an IPhone 12 since I’m not at all sure I need the bells and whistles with later models. Steep learning curve there, but I love having “voices in my head” when I get phone calls, and Oticon doesn’t play nice with Android.
Big John

Great discussion.

Had Marvels 50 for 5 years. Now trying out Lumity Premium Life.

Had no issues with Autosense in my Marvels, propably due to less programs for it to choose from and less “intelligence”.
With Lumity it’s a mess. jsemberger described it well that Autosense tends to switch to programs with stereo zoom which messes up my ability to hear speech.
If I flush the toilet or rinse water in the kitchen then Stereo zoom turns on and the EQ and noise reduction seems to change.
This is no help to me so I tend to “go manual”. Made a copy of the “Calm Situation” program and choose that for the hole day.
However, the “Speech in car” is really doing a great job.

The phonak app allow me to change alot of settings so think I’ll use Calm Situation as a base (copying it) and make my own programs to choose from manually to accomodate my common listening situations.

I hate the automatic things,… I don’t like the tinniness or how aggressive these automatic features are,… I am a musician who started out with lyric,. Digital technology sucks beyond

3 Likes

A colleague in music!? Nice.
I’m doing serious testing with the TV connector to send monitor feed into my HAs.
If I get it to work ok I’ll post about it here.

I am a Virto Q90 user and have never got used to Phonak’s Autosense. I default to Calm Situation set as Prog 2 which I use for everything. I am trialling Lumity and will give Autosense a chance. If I can’t get used to Lumity, I am considering Oticon as next alternative.