Phonak TV Connector & Open Domes

My Step Mum has Phonak M70 with open domes.

She has an old TV so has to use this connection in the picture. As she has open domes, would this cause like 2 sounds / double sound that she hears as the TV Sound will also be on for my Dad to hear?

She has an old TV so I think this connection is the only way to use the TV Connector.
She hasn’t brought the TV Connector yet.

I usually use the optical connection. I have the vented domes. No lip-sync or “echo”. I was in a hotel recently where the optical was controlled by the volume so I connected the audio. No noticeable lip-sync but there was the slightest bit of “echo” if you will. Barely slightly off in time and I could hear it all just fine but it was there. This might also have been because I used the hotel box for the audio source rather than the tv.
The volume buttons on the Connector and the aids work together. Turning one up turns the other down. Turn up the Connector to lower the ambient from the mics. That “echo” gets less noticeable.
The TV Connector is a great product.

Do you find the TV Connector too loud tho?

I used to have the TV Connector but sold it last year as I don’t own a TV now. I had to turn the TV Connector all the way down as I couldn’t hear my house mate.

I hadn’t realised it changed my hearing aids as it didn’t sound like it did.

My Step Mum is not a fan of things being too loud.
She can’t manage it.

I’ve replaced TV with books! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

One thing is using the 3.5mm jack would normally shut the tv speaker off anyway.

What is this “too loud” that you speak of? :slight_smile:
Yes, the volume button (V2) acts together with the volume button on the aids. You can turn up the tv sound that lowers the ambient input. And vice versa. You can tell this when you talk or your house mate talks and it seems a little muffled. Or that you’re hearing sounds you would rather not hear while listening to the tv.

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. The headphone jack yes. But other audio outs may be active.

1 Like

Not if you use the cable above which only has the 3.5mm jack for the TV Conmector.

That I couldn’t hear anything else in my house including other people speaking.

My Mics are not attenuated but still stopped me hearing anything else in the house.

1 Like

@Zebras I use the TV Connector with the exact same cable in your picture. Connecting this to the TV does not alter the TV volume level. If you buy the newer TV Connector it has volume buttons so you can adjust to your liking. Once adjusted it stays at that level even after switching it off.
The delay, or latency, in the TV Connector is negligible in my experience so there is no echo.

2 Likes

Ahh ok it works the other way around, I thought it was 3.5mm to the TV.

1 Like

@tenkan - Even still. A 3.5mm output jack could be independent of the volume or auto-muting unlike the headphone jack that auto-mutes.

@Gilbert - Then my recent experience of the very slight “echo” could have been that I had connected the audio to the hotel tv box and not the tv itself.

@Zebras - Did you miss the smiley after my question? The question was tongue in cheek for this forum. :slight_smile:
Yes, you would want to find a sweet spot of the volume buttons on the Connector and the volume in the aids to balance the ambient with the tv to your preference (well, your step Mums preference).

1 Like

I use those on my Sony TV, it’s a balancing act between the output for headphone (were I’m plug in) and the TV speakers (turned on) volume for my wife to listen to, and the level of the TV connector output, also(I think) I had the Audi adjust the streaming level to balance the room mic’s input to keep the Ha’s adjustments to a dull roar LOL, with all that it works great, and I always had custom molds, so I don’t have to open dome issues.

@Zebras If you use the Phonak app on your phone whilst the TV Connector is connected there is a slider to move between streamed input and mic input so you can get your personal balance choice between hearing the TV and hearing other people in the room.

2 Likes

I use my TV Connector with my audio mixer while on the gig (I’m a musician) to act as a monitor. I hook it to the headphone output which is a 1/4" Phone jack. I use an adaptor to change it to a 3.5mm jack.

There is no noticeable time delay so if you can hear the TV and your TV Connector via your Aids, it should be no problem.

If the signal from the TV output is too high, it will distort the input of the TV connector. I would think that most TV set headphone volumes would not cause this effect. But if it is distorted, try turning the TV volume down.

1 Like

Thank you!
good explanation. I’ve never noticed that.

1 Like

I confirm there is (almost) no delay with sound that is transmitted by Phonak’s TV streamer. But I find its volume buttons clumsy. So to control volume I have the immediate audio input for the streamer (which it gets from a Bluetooth receiver that also feeds an amplifier/speakers for the household) pass through a simple (rotary) potentiometer fixed next to my chair, while the transmitter sits in a high spot in the room, for maximum range. This works very well.

What is extremely annoying is that newer TVs appear to lack simple (3.5 or RCA) stereo outputs. You can fiddle with/convert their optical outputs, but these seem not to respond to any “mute” commands, among the most important ones on your TV remote…

1 Like