Phonak TV Connector not streaming Apps

Greetings from New Zealand, I have a Phonak TV Connector just a couple of months old and am having trouble with it.
I have been streaming from my new Panasonic JZ1000 TV and it is fine when watching from my Sky box but when I go to apps like Amazon Prime it will not stream to my aids (Phonak Audeo P30-R) which are also a couple of months old. I am using the My Phonak app.
I have it connected with the optical (Toslink) cable.
I tried to use the analogue cable with the TV settings set to headphone out and the cable plugged in to audio out but I just get beeps in both ears which I think is the signal for no sound.
All the cables are well plugged in.
The TV connector’s light is showing green all the time even when pairing and the unit will not reset.
I cannot understand why it will stream to the aids fine when using Sky, which comes through the TV speakers, but not the likes of Amazon Prime and other apps.
I have been searching online for days and cannot find any answers.
And suggestions would be appreciated.

Can you check the audio output format of the streaming apps? Is this an app on a smart tv or on a separate streaming box like Shield or something? Is this the V2 of the Connector ie. does it have the buttons? Do the streaming apps come out of the speakers?

Many thanks for the prompt response.
I do not know how to check the audio format of the streaming app.
The one I was trying was Amazon Prime.
Yes, the app is on a smart TV - the Panasonic JZ1000 OLED.
The connector does not have the buttons on the top.
Yes, the streaming apps come out of the TV speakers.

I suspect your apps are outputting a sound format the streamer doesn’t support.

You can use analogue via the RCA or 2 channel PCM or Dolby via the toslink.

Either the TV menu or the app settings will allow you to set the output to be compatible.

It’s also possible you have to make a TV settings change to route TV app output via the toslink.

For a family member I had to change the setting to stop multi channel PCM being sent and down mix it to stereo.

Thanks SteveCh appreciate your input.

Yes the constraint is the input audio format. The older TV Connector (indicated by the lack of buttons) can’t handle Dolby. It needs straight stereo ie. PCM. Even though it can take a digital optical input. You could connect to the headphone jack using a 3.5mm (1/8") cable but that would stop the room sound.

Do you also use an external amp for surround? Or just the tv speakers? If you don’t use an external amp then it won’t matter if you change the app audio output to PCM. In your current case, the tv is doing the converting of the Dolby coming from the app outputting to its speakers. But the optical would happily take Dolby. But not the TV Connector.

So you need to set the tv optical output or the app audio output. If no external sound then just set the tv. Your optical connection can be set to PCM or Dolby audio or fibre optic. Not sure about the last one but use PCM.

If the issue is the format on the optical line, a TV Connector 2 would probably fix that. I got one for about $100 US this winter on ebay.

WH

Many thanks to all who responded.
This is the best forum I have encountered on any subject…
Prompt and knowledgeable replies and a positive result.
I have set the TV to PCM and Amazon Prime is now working.
Some apps still aren’t so I will try and source a TV Connector 2 but they are scarce at present due to the chip shortage.
I am disappointed my audiologist did not tell me about the model 2.
Now the TV mute button will not work on some apps but that is another matter.
Thanks again for the help.

Here is how I got mine:

eBay search for Phonak TV Connector

WH

hmm…it’s the tv outputting, not the app. But find any audio settings of the problem apps and set them to PCM or stereo or whatever. Just not Dolby variations or highres or master audio or whatever.
If you’re not using an external amp for surround then you don’t need the V2…even then depending on how it’s all connected.