Phonak TV Connector linked to Roku TV

I have a Roku TV and Paradise aids with TV connector. The Roku TV apparently does not transmit Bluetooth. When I hook up any device to the audio out port of the TV it silences the built in speakers of the TV so that no one in the room can hear. I can’t hear the TV speakers very well so I want to hook up my Phonak TV connector to the Roku TV and listen through my Paradise aids and still not cut out the sound to others in the room. Any help is appreciated.

If your tv has an optical out - use that. Usually that will not cut off the tv speakers. Unfortunately all TVs are different….

What model is your TV? Might just be a setting. We have a Sony OLED and it doesn’t shut off the audio to our sound bar when I connect it’s optical output to the Phonak TV connector. Are you using a sound bar, or just the TV’s built in speakers?

I have a Roku TV with the TV connector connected to the optical out. Sound still comes from the speakers at whatever volume other people would like and the sound from the connector is perfectly synched and you can set the volume on the connector or change with your aids. Makes watching tv much more enjoyable.

I have the Vizio TV and the optical cable from tv to my tv connector. I can turn on the tv speakers if needed. Not all tv do this. Any time you use the audio output plugged in, it will turn off the tv speakers. Use the optical output of your tv if it has one.

Halleluiah!! Your suggestions worked. The optical connection was the answer. I can’t tell you how many wires and devices I have tried over the months to no avail. Thanks to you all.

2 Likes

This was an incredibly TIMELY and useful post for me, personally! Hubs & I just relocated into a new house that came fully-furnished. It has a dedicated media room with HUGE flat panel TV set into the wall - no way to get anything behind that TV. I was disconsolate, thinking my days of TV/movie streaming with my Phonak Marvels were OVER.

There is an actual electronics closet JAMMED with all kinds of stuff here, tho, and after sharing this post with my husband (Tech Kahuna with MIT, CalTech and Stanford degrees), he tried out various connection strategies so my streamer could be hooked up but let us BOTH hear the audio. Below is HIS total tech answer - little of which I myself understand, but BOY IS IT GREAT to be streaming shows and movies again!!! :smile:

Pardon the long post - but for some techie folks here, perhaps it will be useful?

The home theater has a number of inputs, including Roku Ultra, AppleTV, Blu-Ray, and a big/heavy TV mounted flush to the wall. The Roku, AppleTV, Blue-Ray are easily accessible, while the other home theater components are in an AV rack.

The TV does not have a digital audio output accessible (without removing the TV from the wall). Attaching the streamer to the TV with digital audio would also have a wire dangling from the TV to the streamer (not good), because if the streamer is permanently mounted behind the TV, it would be impossible to control the streamer power and volume buttons (the streamer does not have a remote - like a Fire TV Stick, that can be hidden behind a TV).

One thought was to attach the streamer to the Roku remote headphone output with a portable USB power source. Unfortunately, listening through the Roku remote mutes the HDMI sound output (why isn’t this configurable?). This is not an option, as it means that only the person using the streamer can listen. Also, this will only work for Roku, not AppleTV, Blu-Ray, etc.

Another option was to pick one video source, and split the audio from the HDMI (like this device), and connect the audio to the streamer. Unfortunately, only one video source can be used for this (changing video sources would require plugging different HDMI sources through the splitter input/output - pain!).

The final solution was actually very simple. There is an AV receiver, with inputs from all the video sources. Found out that it has RCA pre-amp outputs, which made it trivial to connect to the streamer via a 3.5mm to RCA cable. So now, no matter which video source is used (Roku, AppleTV, Blu-Ray, …), the streamer has the correct output, and everyone else can also listen to the sound.

The process was complicated by the house’s Crestron automation system, with components buried in a closet.

1 Like

Download the roku app to your phone that you have your hearing aid paired to.

Then pair the roku app with the tv. Then press the headphone button, and the tv will play soumd through your phone to the hearing aid.

2 Likes

Yet another very useful tip here!!! Would never have known - thank so much for sharing!

Be for warned an Android, the sound might stop playing after awhile, due to the battery saver

Go to settings, then find the app. Then battery, set to unrestricted

OK! Cuz I do indeed have an Android One+ phone. Geez. How is the ordinary person s’posed to know all this? If I were to re-invent my career, I’d want to be a tech wizard for some hearing aid dispenser. It’s SERIOUSLY needed in this day and age.

Thanks again!

I don’t know which Android. I have a pixel and it works good for me.

Almost sounds like dolby atmos, i just can believe i can hear movies good…

Question: How do I pair the roku app with the TV?

Go to the roku settings on the tv, pretend like you are adding another remote control. It will add that way.

Thank you for that advice! I’m going to file it away for now, as I seem to be streaming with DVD, Apple TV box, Roku box, even the local TV connection. AIEEEEEEYAH it was a twisty puzzle for my husband to work out. On top of the solution posed above, we had to make another change: now he has the streamer coming out of a Marantz audio/video receiver (which is connected to ELEVEN speakers and about 10 video inputs, from game players to cable to DVD, etc.,)

If anyone ever deserved a Nobel Peace Prize in the category of preserving peace and sanity in the home theatre room, it’s my dear hubs. The whole issue with getting the stoopid Phonak streamer connected to something - anything! - in that wizard’s closet to enable me to stream from any source was just unbelievably complicated.

Hubs read the Marantz manual late last night, and would not rest till we jerry-rigged the dang streamer to it. Failed handheld remote (with fresh batteries inside) and everything but Martians landing is what we had to contend with. :alien:

P.S. I have to add that we bought this house fully-furnished … including the evil wizard’s closet packed with what-all.

I have an LG television that is connected to my Phonak TVLink ii. When I turn on the TVLink ii and my ComPilot ii The two will connect and I can adjust the volume for the TV for about 5 minutes and then the connection will break. To get the connection back all I have to do is turn the TVLink ii all the way off and then turn it back on. I have tried resetting the volume control and repairing the two devices but nothing works.

@bpsore

We didn’t see your post as you added it to a thread which has nothing to do with your issue.

I had this issue with a TV Link II. Problem was a faulty TV Link II. Buying another one on eBay solved the issue.