Phonak Target 5.3 - Reducing Compression?

As far as I remember you still have a conductive loss in your left ear (and you had in your right). With conductive loss (only) there is no problem using a CR of 1.0 in contrast to sensorineural loss (this is the normal case for most people): the higher the loss the higher the CR.
For most people a high sensorineural loss means that one can hear a sound only at a certain amplification but then it is almost immediatelly very loud. Uncomfortable level (UCL or MCL) is nearly the same or even worse than for normal hearings. UCL and MCL for conductive loss can be much higher.

1 Like

Yes my loss is conductive.

I never knew that about difference in hearing loss and difference in compression.

I have tried UCL on my left ear and I don’t find the loudest setting painful at all. It’s different for my right ear tho.

EDIT - I also have my Roger 18 receiver EasyGain set at max for my left ear and I don’t find it too loud. My Roger 18 for my right ear always feels too loud even with the EasyGain set to minimum.

@Dani I’ve actually just upgraded my Target to the latest 6.4 or whatever the number was.

As I’m self programming some ‘locked’ hearing aids, you can’t seem to update the software.

I had to uninstall the software, add the normal installation code, then download the software, then when the latest version of the software is installing, I added the unlock installation code.

Now I’ve got the latest version and I can still program my NHS hearing aids.

I was only on Target 5.4

@Zebras
That sounds great that you managed to upgrade Target to the latest version. I didn’t know that you were stuck on 5.4.
In my case I believe I found the best settings for my left ear. I don’t need to upgrade Target because I wear a Naida B. My right has an implant in my cochlear since February. I don’t have any residual hearing there any more.

Hi Dani
do you know of a HA store around Munich, edit: not DIY
that really understands Phonak Target and would run it with me ?
My use case is 95 % speech in quiet surroundings,
relatively mild hearing loss (roughly flat to 2 kHz, dropping about 30 dB to 4 kHz).
My curent HA store with a trial P30-R uses Audicon software with ISTS input and percentile plots;
@menglxs plots above from Target (in 2018) look far more informative.
Thanks,
cheers

Hi user
My last and only audiologist does not fit any Sonova ha. Meanwhile I wear cochlea implants anyway

1 Like