Phonak Spice

Would it be possible to fit this new ‘super power receiver’ to the audeo yes IX models, the casing is identical?

I had predicted “acto” or Forza would not come with Floating linear gain. Probably they will
come with zero or near zero improvements 2 channels here, audiometer perhaps binaural feedback manager and the mini rite.
If this is the case- it will be a big disapointment after all. right?

Did the Phonak rep set fire to your trousers or something? :wink:

I’d be seriously interested if they’ve got some real time beam forming involved. In answer to the previous poster on here, the duophone isn’t quite there as the processing/transmission delay doesn’t matter so much when you don’t see the lips of the person speaking. Introduce a 70 or 80 usec gap under normal conditions though and you’ll end-up with worse speech results from a visible source.

xbulder is absolutely right. In most cases, the HA manufactures are falling all over themselves trying to appear to have some type of new innovation. But more importantly, I’m almost sure xbulder wears shorts.

Anybody willing to venture an educated guess on what the pricing will be for the new Spice units?

I have the Exelia Art BTE for trial. Next week I’ll have an appointment with my audi and I definitively want to try ambra.

I have two questions:

1. With ambra I have the choice between BTE and ITE/C since all models are available as power aids. I’m thinking of asking for 312 uz or 13 uz but many experts say it’s better to have bte. What’s your opinion? I’ve never had any trouble with the BTE’s and often read that ITE aids need more repairments. The only thing I don’t like BTE is the noise of the wind. Will the 312/13 uz suffer less from wind noise?

2. Some of you seem to be disappointed about Ambra. Wich product is more sophisticated, Oticon Agil (pro) of Phonak Ambra? (My audi warned me some time ago that I probably wouldn’t like the Oticon sound since I’m used to Phonak.

Got that right Aero. Xbulder is a fat dude -with glasses- that wears shorts and scandals all the time… That is how we do it in MIA… Jaaaaa

Seriously, When vigo was released the message was MORE everything- so if a new mid price solution is to replace Vigo with almost identical features… OK perhaps a new form factor and or in situ audiogram and perhaps 1 or 2 more channels.

It is really nothing more that a really minor update… We need to have more features for the same price right? Moore law?

To be fair, Ambra does not seem revolutionary. However, I like to sit and listen to the
phonak story. Im very disappointed that they did not offer a solution like GN. Which has set the new standart for others to follow. Phonak have more money and more resources than GN. What I like about Agil is the audiological concept- which seems to make sense. It is true that Phonak and Oticon do have different way to handle automatics so their sound is totally different. I would try them both…

@Stratuscom Ambra will replacing Exelià Art, so the new high end instrument is Ambra= cost of exelia. Audeo S will replace the existing Audeos like exelia art did with exelia, so i think price will be the same.

@xbulder: Oticon always had a big difference between top and middle-class whereas Phonak tried to use more features for all classes. so we will see a RISE II vigo…

For the difference between Phonak and Oticon…they are very big…audiologically and in application…but both are at the same level…and in front of everyone else!

Spice is only the new chipset. The aids are Ambra and Audeo S(pice)…

I am surprised that many of you are so positive about Alera. Yes you do not need to wear a streamer around the neck to watch tv but you still need an accessory for the phone and the two hearing aids are not connected with each other like with the Agil or the Ambra.

Any idea what the frequency of the zoom link fm is? I believe it’s 10.6 from the icom to the hearing aids, but don’t know what the zoomlink is.

The Alera phone accessory is like a Motorola or Jabra accessory that contains the microphone and answer button. Phone sound goes to both hearing aids. This accessory clips to your shirt.

All right, I am disappointed too. And pilotOne is too simple for new platform.

Phonak Ambra and Audeo S IXalready for sale on eBay, starting bid $5299 a pair. I always thought Phonak required face to face fitting on sale of new hearig aids.

No not the same as micropower, they now have 3 receiver options, standard, power and super power. The micropower used the power receiver. Power receiver was 55/126. Super Power is 61/129. These numbers are for the Audeo S Smart, it seems to vary slightly depending which product the receiver is attached to.

@Sonor/Zildjian: For the difference between Phonak and Oticon…they are very big…audiologically and in application…but both are at the same level…and in front of everyone else!

This must be drummer-talk I don’t understand what you’re getting at.

My opinion is that while the new phonak line doesn’t seem to offer a great deal of immediate improvements it is quite impressive that they have come out with a new line within 1 year or so of releasing the original Audeo Smart. As phonak usually does they will continue to develop new products using the new platform over the course of the next few years and we should see some more improvements/features added. I’m also hoping that the new platform includes some ability for firmware/software upgrades in the future. The whole “APP” marketing tactic leads me to believe that there may come a time when clients purchase upgrades (or apps) as they are available. Would be better in some ways than having to buy new aids everytime something new is released.

I hope this happens to be the case. On the one hand, I doubt Phonak would want customers to do this because then they wouldn’t be buying the new hearing aid instruments (although the receivers themselves are hundreds of dollars each); but it makes me wonder if such a fit might be possible since the photos do show identical (or seem to show) products. Who knows what’s possible. I’m waiting for the US launch as it doesn’t seem to have completely launched yet (you don’t see mention of the new products on the US website just yet). But I REALLY hope the Super Power receivers becomes an option for Audeo YES IX instruments!

The Phonak website now shows the Spice product line for some European countries like Sweden, Germany and Canada; however, not the U.S.A. or U.K. Today Phonak has also started online training for audiologists on Spice and related accessories.

This isn’t a plug, - we sell receivers for about $50 - but is that pricing accurate?