Phonak Slims not compatible with cShells?

I just purchased a pair of Phonak Slims, but was told (by the factory) that they are not compatible with the same ear molds that could be used with all other recent Phonak aids … so I agreed (reluctantly) to try Slim-tips with the acrylic casing. Does anyone know if there is really a compatibility issue? And if so, why? I kinda miss the flat back of my old earmolds, so I can feel if the aids are positioned correctly. Besides that, the back of the Slim-tips are black, so it looks like I have dead beetles in my ear!

Looks to me, from illustrations, that the wire connector to the aid is not compatible.

In any case, I can’t think of a motivation for the factory to lie about it :slight_smile:

That’s odd. In Dr. Cliff’s review, he said they use the same receivers as the other Lumity aids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=BncNcsOCPIk

He says it at around 5:50. He’s holding them and playing with them while he’s talking, so not an easy mistake to make.

Thanks for that info. I have made a short video of that segment, and plan to show it to my audi next week.

However, I did find this in Phonak’s Slim User Guide, with cShell deleted from the coupling info:

We shall see if an experiment is in order!

I can think of a reason. Slim-tip couplings are cheaper and easier to produce than cShells … almost no labor. So possibly cShells are just on their way out. Remember VGA connectors, VHS tapes, and dial telephones?

No definitely not, they’ll be around for a while yet, all the manufacturers use them.

I have the Phonak Slims. After trying domes which irritated me to death, I was going to get slim tips, however, when they came back they had given me c shells as apparently my ear canals are too small for slim tips. I can confirm that c shells are fine and very comfortable for me.

1 Like

O.K. I have returned the Phonak Slims with Slim-Tips, exchanging for Lumity L90s with cShell. Apparently Phonak has admitted to my audi that cShells have been categorized by Phonak as not being compatible with Slim aids because they may not fit into the charging case! They could have made the case a little larger, but …

1 Like

It’s dumb because their cshells are regularly smaller than their slim tips.

I’ve just fit them with cshells anyway, though you have to order them separately and pretend you’re not doing it, and then you have to wrangle with the software a lot more because there’s no cshell option. As long as you can do REM, it’s fine.

1 Like