Phonak Savia or Eleva

I currently have 8 yr old Siemens CIC aids. Satisfactory, but reading all the hype about new open ear.

My audiologist (where I purchased the Siemens) now recommends Phonak.

She is recommending the Savia @ $5,000 pr or Eleva @ $4,000 pr. I have done considerable research on this and other websites, including Phonak, and understand that these are in the very top tier of aids in most peoples opinion.

My question, though, is whether the Savia is worth $1,000 more than the Eleva. In reading the specs, I find only a very few features on the Savia not on the Eleva. (mainly a wind noise blocker and maybe a little better feedback reducer). The operating specifications seem to be identical.

Does anyone have an opinion on this choice?

As far as specs and performance go, they are fairly similar. It is debateable if the very few extra features in the Savia are really worth an extra $1,000, especially when the Micro Eleva is such a great instrument at a more reasonable price.

I fit mostly Micro Eleva’s versus Savia’s just because back to back, it is hard for me and our patients to notice any significant difference.

The differences would be greater once you have a more severe hearing loss and use products that are not open fit.

Have been recommended Phonac MicroPower V300 dAZ but this does not
promise better listening to music or radio which is what I really want, as
I am having to update from an IEC to BHE I really want one that helps
me enjoy music - has anyone any experience with these? The extra cost
in this country appears to put the price from £1700 to £2700.

The Micro Power is more for people with severe hearing loss and the custom tips tend to plug up the ear a lot more than the open fit devices. The only advantage is that the speaker is in the ear and the sound is not routed through a tube as in the open fit devices.

I have perfect hearing and have listened to both and also tested them with a real ear microphone system and the quality seems to be about the same.

Unless you have a severe hearing loss or are out of the fitting range of the Eleva/Micro Savia, I would try those first, as the cost of the Micro Power is a little prohibitive. In fact, our actualy costs are often almost double on the Micro Power, so your audi has to pass on those additional costs to the customers.

First time poster, 44 years of hearing aid wearing experience. Just took delivery yesterday of a pair of Savia 311 dz. They supercede a pair of 10+ year old Phonak PICS Sono-Forte, which I love, but alas are showing their age.

So far, I am less than enthused, especially in the area of music, which I love. I’m also a guitar player, which further proves the universe has a perverse sense of humor. I’m also having digital clipping occuring at very low level transient sounds, like cups and plates being put on a table, doors closing. Even with the volume turned down, this is still occuring. In my so-called music mode, my guitar is severely clipping when playing in the higher registers. Everything sounds like I’m listening with cotton stuffed in my ears, except for the bass frequencies. I can hear the ricer boys and their coffee can mufflers just fine, as well as the crotch rocket motorcycles. A good analogy is everything sounds like trying to see through a window smeared with mud.

I put my old hearing aids in, and clarity is restored, although I’m not hearing as much of the background rumble as before. I do hope we can tweak the frequency response so the sweetness of music comes back, or these new hearing instrunents are going to be returned post haste.

You are probably experiencing poor music performance both because of the compression type (WDRC) on the Savia and the BTE with the receiver on top of the ear running sound thru a tube.

If you are still in the trial period, you may want to consider switching to the Micro Power with receiver in the ear (the original one, not the new IX model) and have them set the compression as DSC instead of WDRC and it should sound a whole lot better. Also, putting the receiver (speaker) in the ear helps a bunch.

The other option is going with the Micro Eleva, with open fit. Although it is a WDRC only instrument, you can make adjustments in how it compresses sound so that you don’t have the clipping effect you are currently hearing.

Hope this helps you out.

where can I find out the difference between these types of compression? I saw nothing mentioned about them on the Phonak website.

PS. I’ve had BTE Phonak PICS prior to this Savia set. I’ve never had problems with audio quality for want of going through the tube to an ear mold.

The compression schemes are not mentioned in the website, unfortunately.

Here is a basic article about compression: http://www.audiologyonline.com/theHearingJournal/pdfs/HJ2001_02_pg60-62.pdf

Another good article:
http://www.hearingreview.com/article.php?s=HR/2006/03&p=2

BTW - I’ve swapped the tubes and molds between the two sets of hearing aids, and there is no difference. They perform identically.

wow, that second article was very good. I’m going to print it out, or try to forward it to my audiologist, if I can find the email address.

I would try DSC type of compression for music, especially.

I have bilateral moderate to severe mixed hearing loss. Would you say the Phonak Micro Power would be ideal for me? The dispenser gave me a trial in his office but with onle a single ha. I had a bit of occlusion (why is that if the receiver is separate from the mic which is behind the year?). What is the best way to maximise performance from the MicroPower?
Kevin Tyagi

The Micropower would be a great instrument for a moderately-severe hearing loss.

Keep in mind, though, that the silicone tips we have to test the hearing aid on patients is a fully occluding tip, which plugs the ear completely, whereas when the audi actually order the Micropower, he/she would take molds of the ears and custom make a CIC looking attachment where the receiver/speaker is placed and they are vented heavily.

Thus, you really should have no problems with occlusion/plugged sensations when the finished product is done.

Open fitting devices are probably out of your range, thus Micropower or a custom ITC/ITE hearing aid set would probably be in order.

Let us know when you get them and give us your feedback.

There’s not much of a difference, so its okay to go with a cheaper model.

Hearing Planet - Hearing Planet Product Catalogs