Phonak Roger On

Yes. The select was actually recommended by my local NHS department and they loaned it to me for a week. I could see it was a decent bit of kit but I think I opted for Roger On iN because I thought it was slightly newer and it had a pointing mode which I was unsure if the select had.

1 Like

Thanks to all - very helpful thread. I’m considering buying some Roger device(s) on Ebay so perhaps someone can answer: (this is for potential use with KS10/Paradise)
1) While Phonak website, Ebay etc. that for the system to work you need Transmitter, Receiver, and compatible HA. For the KS10 the receiver is just what some refer to as software (or license … meaning 2 one for each HA). If NOT bundled with the physical Transmitter any idea of the possible cost for the software/license?
Is Roger Direct Phonak’s naming for a (receiver) license?

1. PEN Model labeling clarification: It seems like there is
    Roger Easy Pen Roger Pen Roger Pen In
    and some refer to Pen with some v(ersion number e.g. 1.1)
    which “pen” would work with KS10?
    What is the sequence/date of pen history & which if any pen models are a great step up in technology versus just a renaming by Phonak of the device?
    In trying to use the PhonakPro.com Roger configurator if I did things correctly it seems that Roger Pen as transmitter would use Roger Direct (as receiver - meaning a license?) to connect to HAs (entered as Phonak Audeo P90-RT which is what the KS10 is closest to).

3) Any idea on battery in pen: Would Phonak be willing to replace it and if so what might be the cost? Any idea of whether a local repair shop (for tech such as smartphone repair shop) might be able to do so? Since I’m looking at Ebay the remaining service life of the rechargeable battery would be an unknown.

I realize that this has probably been clarified in other forum posts and happy if you point me to thread that provides clarity. For me Phonak has horrible pattern of obtuse naming leading to what seems to me significant consumer confusion. Clearly from this current thread, Members had correct understanding of important differences in device models that led to @glucas quickly upgrading his device even though the (UK) seller seemed to have reputation as being very knowledgeable. Bottom line is that Roger devices typically get high grades from users AND that the financial cost is quite/very high.

Again thanks …

@Edma

The Pen 1.1 has Bluetooth which can’t be used with the KS10 as it’ll stop the Aids from working. The EasyPen doesn’t have Bluetooth.

You’ll need a Roger iN device or 2 x Roger X receivers with serial number of 1744 or later and find an audiologist who will install the licenses with the device in the picture.

Costco won’t have anything to do with it.

3 Likes

@Zebras Thank you; since I have started DIY with Target software is the installation of the licenses something that one can do via Target? If so that’d be great to avoid dependency on an audi. I’d be going in direction of Roger IN device.

@Edma

The transfer of licenses isn’t done via Target. You just transfer them by following the instructions on the Roger iN.

If you want to adjust the Roger program, then that is done via Target.

2 Likes

@Edma

https://youtu.be/midyzfwyMmk

Here’s how to install the licenses.

1 Like

1- Do you have to install the licenses on each HA?
2- These licenses can only be installed on Marvel and Paradise platform or could you install them on Oticon HA or other brand?
3- Can you use the Roger on in as a microphone when having a phone conversation instead of the HA microphone?
Thx

1. For the Roger Direct devices like Roger On iN - yes.

2. No - direct versions work with Phonak only. For other brands you would need telecoil + neckloop.

3. Not as far as I know. I believe this was possible with the Pen.

1 Like

@Baltazard

1. Yes there’s two licenses but if you don’t want to use both, you don’t need to install both.

2. Roger Direct is only available for Phonak. You would have to use a Roger X receiver on an Oticon Aid.

3. No, there isn’t Bluetooth on the On and if you use the Bluetooth on the Pen 1.1, your Aids won’t work properly. They’ll start to go crazy changing programs, until you turn the Bluetooth off, on the Pen.

1 Like

@glucas @Zebras Thank you guys, much appreciated.

2 Likes

@Baltazard Clarity and support on this forum can be amazing. I’m grateful as well especially since Phonak doesn’t often present Roger info in clear manner.

2 Likes

Lots of info for you here from a fairly accessible site for HCPs.

Roger overview

If you poke around there are simulations, how to videos, a bunch of good stuff.

Best wishes as you explore options.

WH

2 Likes

@WhiteHat many thank, the price is so steep, and I needed to make sure I will be taking the right decision, by understanding how the roger works and if it is suitable for what I am looking for.
Not sure if @glucas will give us some updates on his experience with the roger!

1 Like

@Edma I agree with you, much appreciated to everyone.

Yes, the price is steep, but IMHO well worth it. I have the Roger Select iN to go along with my Phonak Marvel HAs. It’s really the only thing that allows me to go out to dinner and be able to hear what people are saying around the table. It’s really the only way I can carry on a conversation in the car. I also use it quite a lot for setting the TV volume to a level that works for me, but doesn’t blast out my spouse. I also use it for interacting with the sound on my iPad for things like Zoom meetings, although I could just hook up to my HAs with blue tooth instead. But the pairing and unpairing of BT between my HAs and my iPhone or iPad is a pain, so the Roger alleviates said pain.

But don’t take my word for it, ask my spouse! Back in September my Roger had a sort of accident. For a few days It didn’t work at all. Then, it did work for a while and I thought all was good. But, then, it stopped working again. The problem was it couldn’t reliably charge. I took it to my audiologist for a check up. Fortunately, it was under warranty, so they just fixed things (sent me a new one, I believe). But…here’s the kicker…my spouse said that I absolutely had to fork over for a new one if my audiologist couldn’t fix the one I had. See, the Roger isn’t only an aid for me, but also for my spouse. She rather likes going out to dinner with someone capable of carrying on a coherent conversation with her. Being able to do that on a regular basis in comfort pretty much requires I have the Roger with us.

6 Likes

@lgpiper I’ll have to give it to you, you just convinced me to get one.
Thank you

Yes, that’s the clincher isn’t it? When you realise that it’s something that’s totally indispensable. I have only had it for 2 to 3 weeks and it’s hard to say yet until I have been out a few more times. Certainly if you have difficulty hearing your spouse and they can just wear it then it’s an absolute no brainer. I am lucky enough to be able to hear in most situations - I just want to see how it performs in those very noisy situations where your evening turns into a nightmare.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the VA will offer the Roger On mike any time soon. I believe they make additions to their offerings in November, and in May every year.

My audiologist is ordering one for me. They have been available since the tech refresh to the contracts at the beginning of November.

WH

1 Like

Thank you for the info. I called my audiologist this morning and said
he would place the order today. He said I will be the first one they have
ordered for.

1 Like