Phonak Roger On switch repair guide

As promised @raylock1 ! Here’s the saga of my Roger Ons with the busted switches.

I bought two Roger On iNs (v1) from two different eBay sellers for less than $100 each. They were sold for parts/as is, but each seller said they powered on and they just didn’t have the equipment or know-how to test them. Some of the ones pictured looked new, with the clear sticker still on the screen. They were all dark gray, the less common color, so I figured the sellers had gotten several cases of them God knows where and didn’t even know what they had. I thought there was a good chance they’d have licenses in them, since they didn’t appear to have ever been used. At that price, I rolled the dice and bought the first one.

It worked great at first. Then, after a few days’ use (and being knocked around in my bag), it started refusing to turn off. Sometimes it would turn off briefly, then randomly turn back on after several seconds or minutes. Other times, moving the switch to ‘off’ had no effect at all. Sometimes, when I kept the switch set to ‘off,’ it would restart every few seconds for hours at a time. All I could do was disconnect it from my hearing aids and let the battery run out.

I figured ‘Win some, lose some,’ and reasoned that it was worth what I paid just for the licenses it came with. I bought another cheap one from the second seller, and the same thing happened: it worked great for a few days, then refused to turn off. Time for Plan B, which was a DIY repair. I was much more willing to experiment than I would have been if I’d paid full retail. So here’s the illustrated guide to what I did:

Here’s what the back of the device looks like. There are six rubber plugs covering six T3 screws. The plugs are removed in this pic, but you see where they were. Once I figured out what they were, I pried them out by stabbing them with a sewing needle.

The screws are tiny, so I suggest sticking them to a magnet as you take them out so they don’t disappear. You’ll probably have to do some prying and jiggling to get the back panel off. Be careful that the external switch doesn’t go flying off somewhere.

Also, be very careful not to disturb the center button. If knocked out of place, getting it aligned again so it works when reassembled is a huge pain. It will look and feel like it’s lined up right, but once you get everything screwed back together, you won’t be able to make it click anymore unless it’s lined up just so. I suggest preemptively securing it to the front panel with a piece of tape.

Here’s what it looks like with the back panel removed.

Here’s what the external switch looks like when it’s where it’s supposed to be. Pay attention to the orientation. The side with the green dot goes by the O marking, not the | marking.

Here’s what the switch looks like when the external cover is pulled off and set to the side, and the internal switch is revealed.

Here it is with certain key sections highlighted.

The tiny lever within the red circle is the internal switch. Flipping that back and forth will turn the device on and off, even while it’s disassembled, as long as the battery isn’t dead. This is a good way to verify that the innards work.

That lever should stay nestled within the channel inside the yellow circle. But if it gets knocked out of alignment, it ends up inside the larger hollow circle on the inside of the switch plate. That’s a problem, because there’s a lot of extra space in there, so pushing the external switch all the way to one side or the other won’t reliably push the internal switch as far over as it needs to go to turn the device on or off.

Sorry it’s so blurry, but it’s really hard to capture this level of detail with such tiny objects. Hopefully you can see the extra space to either side of the lever.

My initial quick fix was to pull some cotton off a q-tip, then jam it into the hollow circle as tightly as I could.

I fixed the first one that way. For the second one, I 3d-printed a tiny plastic cylinder that fit perfectly inside the hollow circle, and used rubber cement to glue it in place. Really, any way you can conjure up to securely fill the space should work here. This was done in December or January, and I’ve used one or the other at least weekly since then, plus had one or the other (sometimes both) knocking around in the bag I take to work every day. Both are still working perfectly.

I’ve never seen the inside of an On that didn’t have this problem, so I don’t know if this is typical. My best guess is that the ones being sold basically new but as-is for dirt cheap on ebay were offloaded by Phonak because this was a manufacturing defect. But without comparing them to a ‘normal’ one, I can’t be sure. All I can say is that I believe both of these were new, both came with two licenses, and both batteries took a good long time to die when I ran them down on purpose.

One of the sellers I bought from appears to have just gotten a bunch more in, if anyone wants to roll the dice on these. Just search for ‘phonak roger’ and sort by lowest price.

Feel free to post or PM me if you have any questions!

14 Likes

Really super and very helpful. Thank you very much.

3 Likes

You are really brilliant! Looking at the photo closely, it looks like a manufacturing defect esp. the rocker switch. Inserting a small piece of Styrofoam into the big empty space (the space below the yellow circle) of rocker switch and rubber glue the small space (yellow circle) will solve the alignment problem. This prevent the ON running wild i.e switching on and off (maybe). 3-D printing is good idea to produce another rocker switch.

Battery are produce in China. Might be available in Ali Express, you have to buy 2-3 pcs before they sell to you.

Roll the dice and try my luck. Need it for my BTE P70

1 Like

For BTE P70 UP, I just need the Roger On to pair to the 2 HA’s. No other gadget needed. Correct? Your kind advice.

1 Like

@dankailo It’ll need to be an “iN” version, or you’ll need 2 Roger Xs (serial above 1744) and access to a Roger installer

2 Likes

@CombatWombat
Fantastic walk through, thank you. Sounds a great way to get extra licenses

3 Likes

@CombatWombat Thank you very much.

2 Likes

@dankailo , are those the trial aids you bought?

2 Likes

Hello @CombatWombat… I have had the same intermittent problem for a while, turning on and off, switching on by itself, going to use it, only to find out, the battery is dead… I was going to change the battery, I still am, I just ordered a slightly bigger one at 380mAh, from eBay, after checking the internal casing sizes, which should give me more runtime? I went for a LP402040 3.7v that’s 40mm x 20mm x 4mm, the original battery is a LP471736 260mAh, 47mm x 17mm x 3.6mm, the new one will be tight for width, but I should manage to squeeze it in, it should work fine, I put a slightly larger battery in the Roger Select iN, the battery was goosed, it was a very tight squeeze, but it runs perfect now… Thank you very much for your tutorial :grin: I will also fix the rocker switch at the same time, probably with some foam, and let you know how the replacement battery goes…Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Check your PM. Thanks

Yes, I need only a “Roger On In” and not just “Roger On”. Buying the “Roger On IN” only as the only ALD will helps. With Riger On IN, no other ALD will be needed - correct.

Thanks for the kind info.

After watching a few video of the Roger On iN, the rocker switch is just for switching on-off. I see no reason why the rocker switch has an empty hole in the center! Just push up or down, the center empty space should be seal with a “hard” plastic instead of a soft Styrofoam. The rocker switch movement is about 10-20 times per day so we do not want the switch to mis- align and result a damage/battery drain off to the Roger On iN.

Changing the battery helps a lot to the DIY.

Per @CombatWombat comments, roll the dice will helps us a lot in this part of the world.

Happy Pool and Labour day!

1 Like

Hi @dankailo, the small hole in the grey metal switch houses the black plastic switch on the On motherboard, but that hole is too large, so there is excessive play on the black one… As @CombatWombat explained, it’s a design fault, presumably this was rectified with Roger On V2? Cheers Kev :wink:

or a planned obsolescence!!!

1 Like

I don’t think so @Baltazard… Just badly designed, the black switch looks as if it is square, the metal housing has a round hole, I will examine it closer with a powered magnifier, I would say it’s a fairly easy fix though, with some foam glued in… Or perhaps a tiny drop of silicone? Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

@kevels55 I understand your point of view, but for £1500 item and with all the R&D they have, such a design fault is hard to believe.

Remember, they make a 3D prototype before even 3D printing, way before quality control and testing, so they must have spotted the hole (not the small rectangular one) way back then.

2 Likes

I think they did it just to be cheap and save on raw materials (in this case just plastic). The part of the switch your finger pushes is basically a round cylinder on the outside. That’s a normal design. But instead of making it solid on the inside, they used the minimal amount of plastic possible to mold that shape, so the cylinder is hollow on the inside, hence the hole.

The same seller has a few v2s for pretty cheap. I’m tempted to buy one just to see if they fixed it.

3 Likes

So the grey switch part is plastic @CombatWombat I thought it was perhaps aluminium, but I never examined it closely… Cheers Kev :wink:

I have a original ON/IN, works perfectly never had a problem but the switch always felt like it was the weak link. Just something about it that felt funny. Maybe because there is no click it just slides.

I’ve had the Roger On iN when they’ve first appeared in the UK, one had a bulge (bump) on the screen, and I did get a replacement which wasn’t bad.

That’s back to the Cowid time, I suppose quality control went down the drain at that period.