Phonak Paradise Wax guards

I have problems changing wax guards in my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R hearing aids.
They are so tiny!
I can’t use my sports lock
The old ones are often crooked when I take the dome off to check
They need replacing more often than the ones I used in two previous sets of Phonak RIC hearing aids

Phonak they are terrible

edit: I had a safety issue with the Phonak hearing aids I had before these. I couldn’t hear behind me. Close call–almost hit by fast loaders working on construction sites several times.
I have hearing aids awarded by Workman’s Comp. The audi worked a miracle getting me my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s. The Audi selected them, or Workman’s Comp. I had never seen them before. I had no idea that Phonak had changed the wax guards to the horribly small wax guards they have now.

I agree - the latest Sonova wax guard design is awful. Sometimes I can help but wonder how these things pass quality control at the design stage. Barely any of my patients can change them successfully

3 Likes

Is there a solution I should look at?

I had issues with the original dispenser and it was tough to spin.

Zero issues since the redesign. I slide my sports lock off the aids during the process and slide it back on afterwards.

1 Like

It’s the only wax guard that will fit the current Phonak receivers unfortunately so there isn’t any other option. the only way around it would be to have a mould made and attached onto the receiver instead of a rubber tip, as the phonak moulds still use the older, and easier to use ‘cerustop’ design and the wax guard attaches into the mould itself rather than the end of the receiver. I am hoping that Phonak redesign this eventually, as otherwise their devices are well put together

1 Like

Thats good, but in my experience you probably make up the minority rather than the majority (or maybe the minority in my clinic just make the most noise!)

1 Like

One solution comes to mind: have you audi change them. If you do this often enough, even THEY will understand how impossibly, ridiculously and needlessly difficult it is to change these infintessimaly tiny wax guards!

Only caveat: even THEY will be unsuccessful changing them frequently. My audi ended up jamming two wax guards right on top of each other. The deformed one he was trying to remove simply wouldn’t come OUT.

By comparison, I recall that Oticon wax guards were easy and gave me a sense of enjoyable competence changing them! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was there a week ago. The two wax guards were off centre today when I took the domes off. I couldn’t get them out. I used a magnifying glass. A sewing needle. And my Swiss Army knife awl to get them out. It’s a $50 toll road to get there.
I usually change them once or twice a week. I’m seriously considering doing without wax guards.

I raised this issue with the dispensing audi. He patiently showed me how to change the wax guards a number of times.
I’m 77
I’m far-sighted, with reading glasses
Dexterity?
Hard of Hearing. (Look at the box. It says “Click” twice. taking the spent wax guard off in the flying disk. Putting a new wax guard on the Receiver. I’ve never heard a click!)

I had used 1 Widex and 2 sets of Phonaks and never had problems changing wax guards before. (Engineering law—if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!)

1 Like

I use the cerustop type on my Phonak P70, I even able to remove them without using the tools provided, (using finger nail method) do so about once a week and back air blow them to remove the wax that may have built up, I did notice that these HA’s have a small rubber insert were the waxguard sits in my custom molds, I’m careful not to remove this in the process, if I use the tool to REPLACE the waxguard, that rubber insert seems to stay in place. Doing this air clean save me having to get new guards, as these will last months before replacing, and like Dave I’m 77 to and can’t see without my glasses. LOL

1 Like

Says it ALL! That is why I simply never EVER change my Phonak wax guards. I don’t need to go lookin’ for trouble.

1 Like

But they’ll get get blocked every few weeks, months, so what happens then, eventually you’ll have to?

1 Like

My dear Robot Friend, like you, I am not from this planet. My ear canals are dry as the Gobi Desert. Other than 2 bouts of otitis (thanks to earmolds that I was allergic to) I’ve never had a prob with wax! Proof positive I am an alien. :alien:

2 Likes

Ha ha, if only I could say the same! in that case consider yourself lucky.

1 Like

For anyone needing to make a little hook to extract a wax guard, you can get a small pair of side cutters and cut off one ‘leg’ of the Sonova wax loop (cut the same leg by the bend), it leaves a pretty tiny and neat ‘hook’ attached to the handle.

2 Likes

Every time I change Miya tiny wax guards I hear better after. About a third of the time I find at least one is in crooked. I change mine weekly.

I used to attend a seniors group weekly. None of the seniors changed theirs. I wonder how they could hear

I had those problems with my previous Marvel M90s. Currently I have Paradise P90s, now with earmolds which take the old style wax guards that are on a stick. Push empty end of stick onto old wax guard and pull it out, turn stick around and push new one in; no problem. The earmolds work better, and an added advantage is no awful Cerustop wiggly wax guard or rotating dispenser.

1 Like

Thanks Eric!

I had issues with my first hearing aid. Widex in the ear. It squealed when I ate. When I asked why they remade the hearing aid it hurt. It was in my pocket a lot

How are yours?

I’ve not had any problems with the Paradise P90 or the Marvel M90 which preceded them, other than the stupid Cerustop wax guards and their wheeled dispenser.

1 Like

Heard about this over the weekend and thought you might be interested please see the below - appears there now is a solution to your issues. Will just be a matter of finding a supplier who stocks them. They are not available in my clinic yet but I await with baited breath! :slight_smile:

1 Like