Phonak Paradise Tap Control and Google Assistant

I am wondering what other folks are experiencing when using double tap with the Google Assistant.

I have mixed experiences or results. Everything works fine for a while and then the assistant won’t respond for a while (days it weeks) and then starts working again.

Running Android Motorola One Zoom. I have not been able to come up with any explanation or reason for it not working, or working when it does for that matter!

Double tap has consistently worked well for pausing/starting streaming and for phone calls but is inconsistent with the assistant.

Jim

1 Like

I used Siri for a short while and it works well but it’s one of them things that you’re excited to have but in the long run will barely use or forget about.

I have similar experiences with my P90R’s with my iPhone and iPad. I just tried it after reading your post and it wasn’t working, but sometimes it does.
Even so, I do enjoy talking/listening through my HAs , plus the fact that I am simultaneously connected to both.

1 Like

Not for me. I find it very useful (when it works) it allows me to do things with my phone and still do my work.

I also like being able to text my wife on the way home without having to stop and pull my phone out of my pocket. (I commute via bicycle)

Jim

Just saw this post. I’ve been trying to use the tap control with my Phonak Audeo Life hearing aids to activate the Google Assistant on my Samsung Galaxy S21+. Unfortunately, when I do this, it activates the Samsung Bixby assistant…even though I have Google set as my default assistant. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

1 Like

I am afraid I don’t have a fix for you as I am not on a Samsung phone.

When you activate the assistant on your phone (not using your aids) which assistant comes up?

Jim

I can activate both the Google Assistant and the Bixby Assistant but in different ways. I activate the Google Assistant by long pressing the Home button. I can activate the Bixby Assistant by double pressing the power button, but I disabled that through settings. I also went into Apps and disabled everything pertaining to Bixby. So far, that has allowed the double tap on my left hearing aid to activate the Google Assistant. Definitely not straight forward, but I believe I figured it out.

I have the same issue. How did you solve the problem. I have phonak Audeo paradise connected to a Samsung s20. When I double tap it wants to use bixby. I have disabled bixby and want to use Google assistant. Tried to change thru the app but no success.
Joe.

I went into the settings on my phone and scrolled down to Apps. I disabled everything I could find pertaining to Bixby. However, I believe the Bixby app that is the culprit is Bixby Voice. I say that because that is the one that stayed disabled. I hope that helps. I contacted Phonak and unfortunately, they were not any help.

I find that sometimes on double tap I don’t hear the assistant tone, but it will still respond to a command I give it. Other times it doesn’t respond at all.
I have a Google pixel 6 and find that as the day progresses with all of my Bluetooth devices (car, watch, speaker, hearing aids)
connecting and disconnecting periodically, my phonaks seem to lose their connectivity priority for the assistant.
I just quickly go into the Bluetooth settings,hit the disconnect button then connect again straight away. Works every time

I use a Samsung Galaxy J8 phone and have Phonak Paradise aids. For ages I was receiving random robotic voice messages encouraging me to “tap the notifications icon to enable your device to use Google Assistant”. I never wanted to use Google Assistant but could not eliminate this infuriating message which invariably interrupted phone use. Various online suggestions to uninstall or disable this or that did not work for me. In desperation one day I decided to disable the Google app. Lo and behold the messages ceased. Yet I can still use the other Google apps like Gmail, Play Store etc. I have no idea what Google or Samsung or Android is trying to achieve with this intrusive voice message function.

Same problem on my Samsung S10, double tap tries to launch the Bixby, even if it is uninstalled and Google Assistant is set as the default Assistant app… Has anyone found a solution for this?

Evrika! I found the solution:

1. set “Device assistant app” to Google.

2. open Apps, select Bixby Dictation and disable it, do the same with Bixby voice.

Workes for me, now Google Assistant is opened directly.

Did you ever find a solution?