Phonak Paradise CROS issues (app not compatible, poor sound with Bluetooth)

That’s excellent! I will post here what I find out from my audiologist as I am seeing her next week I hope. Will pass on the above.

She did try to reduce ‘soft sounds’ but this has had no effect.

The connect/disconnect sound which happens before and after Bluetooth events I can live with, but the loud static ‘errror’ condition which stays on sometimes (several times per day) is a real problem :cry: I am sure this is also contributing to battery drain.

1 Like

That is so frustrating, @Steph and absolutely what I was experiencing too. It basically rendered the aids useless for me (I suppose I’m not convinced of their utility as a CROS anyway) or at least the bluetooth part as one could just use older technology I suppose.

Since many folks are having this issue, I’m surprised and annoyed that Phonak didn’t address this before release or at least right away

1 Like

I have CROS P90’s that use size 13 batteries. I have zero static with bluetooth. I get about 7 days battery life with the CROS side and about 5 days on the Receiver side. I love the direct connect to my phone but liked my AudeoB P90 Cros setup better. I got 7 to 10 day battery life out of both sides.

I got mine from the VA, I think they disable switching programs as a lot of people would get confused and cause them more issues to deal with. Near as I can tell mine are fixed on one program.

1 Like

That’s interesting…when you say you have one program, do you mean you just use Auto setting? Do you use Bluetooth for different things ie phone calls/music/video/social media sound?

Also - can I ask what phone you are using? If iPhone, which iOS?

Mine is fixed on one program. From what I know the Audi can disable program switching where it is only on one program. I use Bluetooth for the TV Connector and my phone. I don’t stream video/social media sound, etc. The sound from my TV and phone calls is very good.

My phone is Android, Motorola running Android 11.

1 Like

Fingers crossed, my static problem is fixed!!

Today I collected my new P90-RT and CROS HA and we made several adjustments to programming. I took along all info I learned here and shared with her.

I have asked my audiologist if she can clarify each setting we changed so I can share here. Will update as soon as I hear.

Meanwhile, I now have only one program (Auto) as suggested above and have disabled tap controls except double tap to answer/end phone calls. Much easier to manage as press button program/volume/on off & Siri/tap control etc was doing my head in. Like others, I’ve found Auto does for most sound settings very well!

1 Like

I haven’t been to my Audi yet - covid numbers are still too high here. I still plan on having her make the adjustment she suggested in post #19.

BUT… I had an update (OS 15.3) for my iPhone 8 that helped with some of the problems with the static sound. The bluetooth connection now releases properly! I still have static when I’m connected to Bluetooth, like for a phone call. But when the iPhone realizes that the Bluetooth connection isn’t needed, it turns it off. So I can do things like check my email and not hear the annoying noise.

1 Like

Hang in there! So far my fix is holding. I have some answers from my Audiologist and she is checking one more thing before I post my resolution info.

I am looking forward to iOS 15.3…this has been a buggy release!

1 Like

Ok, I’m not sure that this was all that was reset for me to solve the Bluetooth static problem but this is what my audiologist says:

> The most significant change was definitely increasing the NoiseBlock on all streaming programs as well as switching on/increasing Soft noise reduction on the streaming programs.
> And for others to hear you better we changed from Adaptive Bandwidth to Fixed Bandwidth for the Bluetooth streaming on phone.

I also have my HA locked to Auto only as without the app I find it difficult to manage program changes with the buttons.

I also realised that the CROS takes up one of the active Bluetooth connections available, so I have to manually swap between audio streams.

I think the CROS switches off for phone calls which means only one microphone is available to pick up my voice, which explains why I sound faint to the person on the other end of the call.

Finally, now I work from home and want to connect PC audio to my HA for Zoom/MS Teams meetings, I found I got a lot of crackling on the steamed audio. This was also affecting phone calls. I think I have solved it.

I have a dual band WiFi router with 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. I haven’t used the 5GHz band before. I found switching as many home wireless devices (2 Smart TVs, sound system, 3 PCs, 3 mobile phones, tablets) to 5GHz WiFi as possible eliminated the crackling on my HA! So, seems like interference in my small home on same 2.4GHz frequency used by HA was a factor. Unless it’s a huge coincidence….

I hope some of this helps.

I am a bit sad that so many of the sophisticated Phonak features are unable when using a CROS. Jury still out on whether I will keep them or start over with another brand.

1 Like

Thanks so much for sharing this. It’s so frustrating that the CROS basically eliminates so many of the paradise selling points!

1 Like

Hi Pete,

Quick question about your CROS set up…you said phone calls worked well on Auto setting. Do people ay they can hear you well? Do they say you sound faint or in a tunnel?

People say they wouldn’t even know I was using a hearing aid with my phone if I did not tell them. They all say it sounds very clear with no echo.

1 Like

I picked up my CROS again today and the audiologist has fixed the static/interference sound (not sure how but it is totally gone). I have the ActiveVent in the “good” side now. The streaming sound is now very good.

Boy, the “click” is not really a click but a loud clunk, as it switches venting. Not much of an issue except when scrolling on YouTube where is comes in and out (clunk, clunk, clunk) as you scroll, deciding what to watch. Same on instagram. Also, when it’s engaged, the CROS streaming cuts out (plus the vent is closed) so while I was listening to a podcast my husband was calling out my name and I had no idea at all. Apparently the Oticon doesn’t do this.

I’m now going to live with it for a couple of weeks to see if the rechargable batteries have enough life for me and if I like CROS as a concept or if I will try a pair of traditional hearing aids instead (that was the best option I tried a couple of years ago).

1 Like

Great news about the static! I am also still static free, although I seem to have a new challenge with crackling on some streamed audio. I suspect radio interference as switching all my household devices off the 2.4Ghz band appears to have helped. Hope you get used to the clunk….

Meanwhile, how are your hands free phone calls going? Can people hear you well? I think my HA needs microphone sensitivity turned up (because the CROS turns off)…

1 Like

Lol, just realised I am repeating myself…I think I am becoming obsessed with HA reasearch :hear_no_evil:

I did some tests of the phone with my husband calling from the basement and it seems to be fine as long as I’m relatively close to the phone for bluetooth (in the same room). Sound was fine for him - he said it was like being on speakerphone but not sure about in a noisier situation.

To be honest, I feel as though I’m hearing worse with the CROS but I haven’t had a chance to take it into difficult listening environments so we will see!

The clunk is fairly terrible and I brace myself for it every time. I have no doubt that I will not keep these (I’m consistently getting 12 hours of charge which isn’t enough) but I want to see if the CROS principle is actually useful to me.

1 Like

I’ve been wearing a cros for 5 years. I just got my new one last fall. You may not notice the value of the cros until you are out and about. And if you are hearing worse, maybe you need to get an another adjustment.

My right ear is my bad ear, so I really noticed the value of my cros when driving. Without the cros I missed a lot, if not all, of what passengers were saying. In groups, like a restaurant or a meeting table, I don’t need to turn my whole body to hear someone on my right side anymore.

I do agree about the inadequate length of time the rechargeable aids give you, particularly with a cros. I returned mine for one with #13 batteries. So much better!

1 Like

Sorry about your issues. I got my Starkey BICROS units a week ago today. I guess the big difference I have noticed is when streaming music or phone calls is only hearing in the one ear but i couldn’t make out what I was hearing in the right one anyway so no real loss there.

The audi is going to call and check on me in another week to see how I am doing. I may ask for custom domes although the closed ones she gave me at my request seem to helped alot with issues I was having with the standard aids.

I have no issues with streaming and no static issues so I am happy with that. The biggest difference I have noticed was this week when we took a trip to see some family in AR. and visting with them and some others who flew in. I was almost always able to understand everyone even when we were eating in a restaurant.

But the biggest change I noticed was while we were driving in the truck I don’t think I had to ask my wife to repeat herself once. I am virtualy deaf in my right ear and of course she is on my right when I am driving. I am really pleased with that improvment.

Only other real Issues is the sound in my left ear when I scratch my right ear or putting a mask on and hearing the sound in my left not a problem just funny.

As for battery life I have replacable battery units (312) and it appears they are lasting a little more than 72 hours and that’s with alot of streaming TV and music although I recently bought a ZVOX sound bar and have been able to watch TV without putting my aids in my ears which is amazing so I may be streaming a little less since I also can hear the TV pretty good with my aids in without streaming.

A week isn’t a long test period but so far so good.

One last thing I have several programs I can easily switch through in the app. Check out my audiogram. YMMV.

1 Like

Thanks for your post…I feel like I am getting towards the same level of improvement and resolving my issues as I learn or have HA retuned.

So funny - in Australia we drive on the left side of the road, so I can’t hear passengers on my left which is my deaf side when driving. I agree, conversations with them are much improved with the CROS!