Phonak Paradise CROS issues (app not compatible, poor sound with Bluetooth)

I went to have my Phonak Paradise CROS system fitted and we ran into serval issues that our community should know about.

First, we went to connect it to the MyPhonak app and discovered it’s not yet compatible. An message popped up specifically stating this. We tried faking it out by turning off the microphone side but it didn’t work.

Then we tried streaming, both podcasts and music. Both had terrible interference type crackling - much like a really terrible pair of airplane headphones with broken wires. We tried a couple of setting changes but it didn’t fix it

Also, I know this has been noted before but my audiologist was told (after they had arrived) to only expect 12 hours max battery life since the CROS streams constantly. I assume that additional Bluetooth streaming/calls would diminish this even more.

Both me and my audiologist were super disappointed and annoyed and I didn’t end up taking them home

4 Likes

Wow so disappointing, that’s a bit raw, I think your audiologist should of seen it coming tho, so what now? I guess you’ll need to find another brand to try out, have you looked into Signia CROS Pure Charge&Go X

or WIDEX CROS, Oticon also offers cross HAs Oticon CROS Technology l For Professionals

So plenty of options for you to try with your audiologist clinic, hopefully to find something that works for you

Good luck.

She’s going to think it through and we will decide if we will do another brand of cros that has good Bluetooth or if we will do normal HAs with an ultra power one one side and a lower power BTE on the other side

1 Like

Hello @Lopsided
I am currently wearing Phonak Paradise here for trial. Thanks to this excellent forum, I am able to adjust and optimize the devices myself.
I love this Paradise especially because I have a good sound when streaming TV. So I am a bit surprised by your post and I think you should give it a chance.
There are some settings that could help you:
You can choose if the left or the right side will be connected to Bluetooth. You can also set the listening profile for Bluetooth itself.
I don’t know if and to what extent the CROS setting creates an effect here, since more communication must take place between the devices.
It is possible that there were sources of interference nearby that affected the Bluetooth or that your audiologist still had his programming device connected.
For TV streaming, I now use the Bluetooth built into my TV as it costs nothing extra and works a bit better. I reach in the house about 8m distance and even through walls

1 Like

I got my rechargeable paradise 90 with cros in September. One week later my audi and I made the decision to replace them with the replaceable battery version. I now have the exact same aid, but with replaceable batteries. The batteries last about half a week, just the like my old Phonak cros aids.

12 hours of battery time is just not enough time. The problem is that for the cros to work, it’s streaming all the time, using up the charge. Unfortunately, I imagine any other brand cros would have the same problem.

My audi told me about that the cros was not compatible with the app, but that Phonak was expecting to fix that problem this spring with an app upgrade. I’ve never used the app so I don’t miss it. I do look forward to using it after the upgrade, though.

There is a trade off in order to wear the cros, but for me it’s worth it. No amount of amplification will help my bad ear.

4 Likes

The Phonak with a cros can not connect to the app at all. The app needs to “see” two aids, and the cros side isn’t a traditional aid. It just transfers sound to the aid in the good ear via.

1 Like

@db4art

But does it need to see two Aids? My friend wears a N7 Cochlear and a Phonak Naida M70 SP. She can use the App with only one Aid.

FWIW i do think the problems are specific to the CROS in terms of the app. I assume this is also a factor in the sound quality since it’s been around long enough (the non CROS) to have had those issues become evident. The CROS is pretty new in the paradise lineup though

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I am currently trialing same - Phonak P90-R with CROS.

Yes, can confirm the app does not support CROS and if you do set it up for the P90-R it appears to work, but does not ie volume control does not work.

After using these for a week, I noticed the power lasts about 12-14 hours. Streaming/lots of phone calls etc reduces the charge time. I think this is much the same as for 2xP90s I tried the week before and audiologist says this is normal.

However, what I am getting is lots of static. This can happen first thing in the morning (straight out of the charging case). Repairing the HA with iPhone Bluetooth seems to fix it temporarily. Today I rebooted the aid per instructions in guide and then repaired and this fix seems to have lasted all day. But I can make it come back by stopping and restarting Bluetooth on the phone. Fix is then to forget and repair again.

I get static with each iPhone notification in a quick burst. During a podcast or phone call the static comes on and may not go away after - it’s like the connection does not release. The volume of static increases over time since last repair.

When I see the audiologist in a couple of days I will ask if she can fix bandwidth as others have suggested. This might help.

I really, really want to buy these as Bluetooth with hands free is awesome. Signia range has everything, including an app which works with CROS, but no hands free.

Will also be getting the Telecoil version when I order as I think this will help given unilateral hearing loss has more challenges, even with CROS.

Hope this helps…

1 Like

I think you’re probably right with the rechargable option. My loss on one side is quite a lot (not as much as yours, but on the way), so my thinking behind it was just a general “sound cue” that there was a sound on my left side so I could direct my attention that way. My WRS is poor on the left side so I’m not expecting a real word recognition benefit, but just really for safety and sound awareness. My bar is low!

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. Yes! The staticy crackle on the bluetooth is exactly what I am talking about. I also had some other sound artifacts. I also agree that the bluetooth streaming did not seem to release properly and you can perceive it still open if that makes sense.

I didn’t have the active vent receivers but honestly, I do think that would make it even worse since the receiver wouldn’t open at the end of a streaming session.

I am also quite convinced that I do not like the sound of RIC in general. I’m a former professional musician so I’m maybe pickier than others but it always sounds as though I’m too close to the speaker (as I am, actually) and I much prefer the acoustics of the tubing with a traditional BTE aid

1 Like

Please let us know if this works!

2 Likes

I got my P90R-CROS last month and I have found the the battery life decreases by about 10% per hour with light streaming. It often does not last a whole day and I have to use my AudeoB as a backup. They could have made it a tiny bit larger to hold a bigger battery (I would need 5% or less usage per hour to make it viable). It seems that the P90 uses the battery faster than the CROS. I will be returning it for a P90-13/CROS (telecoil if it is available).

Bluetooth seems to be okay connecting to a Pixel 6 Pro.

I got a Roger On In with the CROS and I have a problem with it - . here is an Incessant beeping when the Roger is powered on and I go out of range. This can happen every few seconds and really needs to be disabled. Also according to the Roger App, the firmware needs to be upgraded and they give a website to download the upgrader – is this a DIY or audiologist job?

• Doug.
2 Likes

@dsmith

Upgrader software has been available to everyone for a very long time.

Likely hood of the audiologist actually having the software downloaded is very slim.

It’s very easy to do a firmware update.

I was planning on doing that.

Thanks.

Ok, so fixed bandwidth made no difference. Has been reset to auto :cry:

My trial continues and so does the static problem. I can’t quite figure out what triggers the loud ongoing static problem which eventually kicks in after a Bluetooth connection event ends - it seems random. Soln is still stop/start Bluetooth/HA re pairing/reboot iPhone/HA multiple times to clear error.

Audiologist is ordering a replacement set P90 (with telecoil) and CROS to see if the aids are faulty. Have at least confirmed the problem is not just me being picky as 2x audiologists have been able to see problem replicated and listen to what I can hear through their equipment.

1 Like

I doubt the aids are faulty as quite a few of us have the Bluetooth static problem. I sincerely hope Phonak is working on fixing this!

I’m living with it because the aids work so well for me otherwise. I can understand speech so much better with my new aids and even the tv without any additional devices. I have little problems hearing calls on the connected iPhone in spite of the static. I’m annoyed that all I have to do is pickup my phone and I get static. And also when the Bluetooth doesn’t release. I have found that if I press the change program button it goes back to auto.

2 Likes

Yes. The sound is great for me, only the static is an issue. Unfortunately changing the program is hit and miss for me….I am sticking with it.

My audiologists (3 I have spoken to) here in Australia have not heard of the problem. I will ask them to ask for more information from Phonak.

1 Like

I emailed my audi about the static problem. Here is what she said:

“Any time any function happens with your phone - calls, notifications, checking email, surfing the internet - the hearing aids view it as streaming and the CROS disconnects, and the left hearing connects to the phone. There is an increase in low frequency gain when connected to your phone which is likely the sound you are hearing (white noise is a perfect description). If adjusting the volume of the phone did not help, then we can try some programming adjustments for your streaming program.”

I’m not going in right now due to high Covid rates locally, but I’ll let you know if the adjustment helps later.

1 Like