Phonak P90 & Telecoil

I bought a new line phone that has bluetooth but it turned out not to connect to my hearing aids (P90). But the amplified phone does have built in Telecoil. The target program ID’d the aids as Audeo P90-RT so I think they have T-coil installed. When trying to set them up for T-coil I was able to get Target to create a T-coil program. BUT STILL NOT WORKING! My question does the P90’s T-coil have to be physically turned on in the hearing aids?? No physical switch showing.

No not quite how it works, but never fear, it’s easy to set up, @Zebras will know the correct way for you.

You have to manually select the telecoil program for it to work. It’s not automatic. Can you select each program via the buttons on your Aids?

1 Like

I have the phonak app on my cell phone and select the T-coil program there. I select the mode for the hearing aids using my cell phone app. It seems like the T-coil is physically not turned on. Is that even possible?

The T-coil mode is : ‘T-coil + Mic’. I can hear that the mic is on which suggests the mode setting is working fine.

When you go near a electronic item or near a turned on wall plug, power, do you get interference? That’ll tell you if the t coil is actually working. If you do get interference, the problem will lie with the phone.

I’m including what a wall plug is here in the UK as not sure you call it that in the USA. When I’m near this plug and it’s switched on, I get loads of buzzing when on the telecoil program.

1 Like

OK, I put it in T-coil mode and placed my ear near the light wall switch. It DID buzz when close to it. I then switched mode and it did NOT buzz when close to wall switch. :)) … so it’s working ??

@dmarr

Yes that tells you the Aids are fine and the problem lies with the phone.

1 Like

Thank you Thank you :)))

hmmm …see something interesting. When in the app screen for ‘phone via T-coil + mic’ then pressing bottom right of screen it shows a balance graph screen. BUT, both right and left of balance graph is ‘Mic’ ??? seems like should be T-coil on left and mic on right ??

@dmarr

I’m going to tag @kevels55 in this as he has the App and uses telecoil so hopefully he’ll know more.

1 Like

Yeah @Zebras & @dmarr, that slider on the app, gives you more signal from telecoil, and less background, or less telecoil, and more ambient background, perhaps you want to chat to someone next to you, tis the same slider on the TV connector 2, within the app…. Hope this helps, cheers Kev :wink:

I use the balance slider on the TV app and that’s why I noticed the slider in the T-coil app appeared wrong! For some unknown reason it has ‘mic’ on both sides of the slider app. So I would hear NOTHING from the T-coil ! … will try deleting and reloading the T-coil app.

No luck :frowning: It still shows just ‘mic’ on both sides of the slider :((

1 Like

I found that the app is mis-labelled. The balance screen should be marked as ‘T-coil’ on the right side and ‘Mic’ on the left. Once I set it correctly then the T-coil functioned properly for my new phone :grinning:

1 Like

Excellent stuff @dmarr, I am glad you are sorted. Cheers Kev :wink:

@Zebras
wonderful question; wonderful response