Phonak P90 streaming

Good information over here. Thanks to @pvc and @Discpad This helpful in depth info I did not find on my internet tours about the BT HA connectivity.
On my Android cellphone the Phonak BT works great. And with my former Resounds I had some more issues when using the Android and less with the iPhone.

1 Like

I have iPhone 11 running 16.03 and Phonak P90R but don’t have this problem. I stream podcasts and music from the iPhone in addition to the Phonak TV connector.

It seems like the problem has gone away. Streaming seems more stable now, not that I have made any changes. Long may it continue to behave.

3 Likes

It is possible you might get interference from other sources. An multi-field radiation detector might find the source of your
interference.

Posted too soon.

The problem is still there; centre soundstage drifts to the left when streaming. Stop streaming briefly and let Autosense take over, then start streaming again and centred soundstage is re-established briefly (sometimes lasts longer then drifts to the left). The only other BT item connected to the iPhone at the time is my Apple Watch.

I’ll try streaming with watch disconnected and report back.

I don’t have access to a multi-field radiation detector.

@KeithL

Would this help?

2 Likes

Thanks for that Zebras. I might give it a try.
However it doesn’t explain why I don’t get sound drifting to the left when streaming from my old iPhone XR.

Is this not how ALL (true wireless)ear buds work using Bluetooth classic not made and managed by Apple? The concept should be the same since the limitation is with Bluetooth classic which was never designed to connect to two devices individually for a single stream.

I had a look in Target fine tuning. Speech streaming and music streaming are very similar.

The only time I use streaming is when I walk my dog and that’s wholly current affairs speech oriented. If I want to stream music from my iPhone I use my Sony BT headphones which behave perfectly.

From the phone’s perspective, it is only streaming/connected to one device in the phonak world, the bt master hearing aid. That aid sends the stream to the other hearing aid via another protocol. The individual aids are paired to the phone in LE for app management of the aids only, and not necessary for streaming at all.

WH

2 Likes

Is this happening also indoors or only outdoors?
Outdoors, the signal is not reflected by walls, and the body also attenuates the 2.4GHz BT signal.
If it only occurs outdoors, try holding the phone in front of you for a test.

Sorry for the late reply - yes it happens both indoors and outdoors. There is no rhythm or reason to its occurrence. If you take the central image at 12 o’clock, the drifting to the left can be anywhere between 11 to nearly 9 o’clock (which is left only). Always a fresh connection to streaming will give a 12 o’clock central image and sometimes stays central for up to 15 minutes, and sometimes drifts left within a minute.

I cannot figure it out.

I was having trouble with my KS9s which are basically phonak hearing aids. In the easy line remote app on my iphone, somewhere in the settings for bluetooth, I can choose between “Normal sound quality (fixed bandwidth)” and “Enhanced sound quality (enhanced bandwidth)”. I found that switching them to normal from enhanced resolved a lot of weird issues with bluetooth sound.

Note that this setting is under “bluetooth phone calls” in the menus. I don’t know if it will resolve your streaming issues but I was having a similar issue with phone calls. I assume the phonak app has something similar you can play with.

WebGuy1,

Thanks; you may have hit on something. When I went into my Phonak app BT setting it was on enhanced bandwidth whereas the HAs are programmed with Target to be on normal fixed bandwidth.

I changed the Phonak app setting to normal to match the Target setting. I didn’t get any stereo drifting during my morning walk. Early days but this could be the conflict resulting in erratic BT streaming.

I’ll report back in a few days.

2 Likes

Excellent, I hope it helps!

The sound is still drifting to the left during streaming. As before if i pause the streaming and allow AutoSense (now called Automatic) to engage briefly, then go back to streaming, central image is restored for a while, sometimes only briefly sometimes for up to 10 minutes before eventually drifting left again.

I have tried everything suggested and more.

As the only noticeable difference between my old iPhone XR and the iPhone 11 is slightly better camera software and a wide angle lens which distorts everything, I have gone back to my iPhone XR which works perfectly for streaming.

1 Like

Darn it! I’m sorry. That sound really frustrating. I stream to my KS10s with my iphone 11, but I am not experiencing this.

Hi, are you sure about this? My understanding of GN aids is that you can only pair them to the phone and its not possible to pair them directly to a laptop as well. Have you seen a GN aid paired to both? I understood you can only pair them to phones and GN accessories. Please if you have any information on this let me know as i have been offered a fitting for GN Ambio on NHS, but have been told by several people that laptop pairing does not work, despite trying lots of different dongles.

Laptops / computers etc use Classic / Normal
Bluetooth.

Ambio NHS Aids use Low Energy Bluetooth which iOS devices accept.

1 Like

Yes, Zebras is right: GN aids either pair to Unite accessories; or starting in February 2014 the ReSound LiNX also paired with, first iOS devices, and later, Android devices, using the Bluetooth 4.0/Low Energy (BLE) 4.0 stack.

However, connectivity to this day can be made to any Bluetooth device – Even Bluetooth Classic HSP 1.1 (HeadSet Protocol 1.1), going back almost two decades – using the Phone Clip 2 accessory, which is still supported to this day.

You can buy these for cheap (around $50) on eBay, often as Cochlear brand (which is a GN licensee) – Just make sure the Phone Clip 2 dongle is paired to the hearing aids!