Phonak P90-R Bluetooth issues - poor sound - receiver can't hear me clearly

Hi, I’m trialling Phonak P90R HAs. The sound quality is excellent with one caveat. When I make a phone caller the sound quality for the receiver is very poor and distant. It’s worse than when I use cheap wireless earbuds or indeed my new NHS Oticon Engage (similar to Opn) HAs with BT. Does anyone have any suggestions? I’ve already swapped the model with T-coil for the smaller size and the issue is the same. I’m using an iphone XR. I find the Phonak App very slow, as others have noted and the Oticon On is actually better and more responsive. I also had problems with the Phonak HAs streaming from my smart TV and having unsynchronised sound with the TV speakers, but realise I can overcome that with a TV connector. The BT issue with the phone is much more of a concern, and probably a make or break issue with these aids. As others have noticed sometimes the the BT signal drops from the LH HA too and I get the jingle sound in my left ear and then it comes on again … It’s all very frustrating. Suggestions for a fix would be welcome. Thanks!

Hi, I’m trialling Paradise 90R and having issue with BT quality on phone calls. The recipient often cant hear me clearly and says I sound miles away or very faint. It’s not on every call but enough to be very annoying. Have other people come across this issue? It will probably make or break whether I keep the aids or not, if I can’t resolve this. I’m using an iphone XR. Thanks.

I have been wearing the P90Rs since December and and not having the issue described. I continually ask people on the other end of the my iphone11 pro max if they can hear me ok and the answers I get is perfect. I also use my iPad for video streaming plus my tv connector and they are clear.
I can only wonder if it might be your iPhone? Talk to your Audi about your problems.

I am on at the end of week 6 with P90-312s and I have only had one person on a single phone call tell me they were having difficulty with my voice. I’m running android, Galaxy S9. Sounds likely to be related to your iPhone,

I have had the jingle from one HA disconnecting from the other for no obvious reason, but it’s only happened a couple of times so it’s not been a problem for me. I wonder in your case if this is indicative of a problem with your specific HAs.

And yeah, and the myPhonak app seems to pretty much suck, regardless of your phone!

Good luck…

Thanks for your replies - maybe I need to upgrade my iPhone? I do fell is an issue with aids and BT protocol with iPhones as I’m now on my second pair of HAs and both had the same issue…

It may be that the iphone is not using the aids for transmitting your voice. Here is a link to a Phonak article that might help.

https://product-support.phonak.com/s/article/Why-cant-the-person-hear-me-when-using-Phonak-hearing-aids-with-iPhone?language=en_US

I’m still having this issue particularly when I’m walking and talking - the person I’m speaking to gets all the external surrounding sound picked up by the HA speakers like traffic noise, bird song, other people talking etc. Is there a way to control this via the software?

1 Like

Do you mean when speaking the mics are picking up all the sounds around you? Given the location of the mics I’m not totally surprised as they’re designed and angled for sounds all around you, not really your voice for phone calls.

As to BT, make sure you’re updated to iOS 14.4.2. And of course the app as well. The app is basically built on top of the MFI iOS offers (settings->accessibility->hearing devices). If Apple tweaks that accessibility software your app might not yet be totally compatible. Honestly I’m really new to HAs, but I’m comfy working with iOS and the compatibility issues that can occur. So that might be one place to start. iOS 14.x also works fine on an IPhone XR. I have an 11 pro and am very happy with it (especially the camera) but there’s no reason to replace a working XR for HA functioning. OTOH a new phone is always a nice shiny toy, but I try to hold off about 3 cycles before upgrading.

Thanks for your helpful reply. Yes, when I speak particularly outside the mics pick everything around up and people can’t hear me! It’s not so good inside either - my mother who has profound hearing loss can’t hear me clearly if I use BT on the Phonaks but can if I use the speaker on my iphone… I was really hoping these aids would negate the need for BT earbuds for walking and talking but sadly to date they don’t.

For BT yes my phone has been updated to latest iOS as well as the app but tbh I’m finding that my NHS Oticon Engage with their MFI interface performs better with BT and streaming. The sound quality is of course better (for hearing) on the Phonaks - but £3000 better, that I’m not sure about. I still have another month of my Phonak trial before deciding whether to buy …

1 Like

I use NHS hearing aids and I am due to have them replaced with Oticon Engage shortly.

I am interested in your experiences of the Oticon Engage and how they compare with the Phonak Paradise in real life environments, particularly noisy environments and group situations?

If the Phonak Paradice are too expensive have you considered the Costco K.S. 10 (Phonak Paradise clone) which have just been released in the UK for £1200 a pair ?

I’m pretty happy with Oticon engage, they are a big step up on my old NHS Oticon Spirit Synergy aids. I was expecting a big difference with Phonak P90r but tbh there’s not. I still can’t hear that well in crowded situations though it’s difficult to gauge accurately as we are only just starting to mix mOre freely as covid restrictions lift. The BT function with the Oticon Engage is better, probably as it’s MFI, whereas Phonak was driving me mad with the endless jingle tune every time the BT signal dropped from LH to RH HA. This plus the on off whooshing noise/ uneven sound levels when listening to TV or radio without the dedicated streamer has made me give up on them. I tried three different pairs but had the same issues with all. The engage handles BT seamlessly and call quality is good.

The Costco option sounds good at the price but I’m concerned I’d have the same issues and I’m also not a Costco member.

1 Like

Do you know if the Oticon Engage works with the the Oticon On app ?

It does - so much better too than the awful Phonak app. It’s nice and simple.

Yes Engage works with the app.