Phonak Naida P90-UP suddenly drops in volume and speech clarity

Well that then leads me to ask. What was it about the hook that was bad

1 Like

Absolutely, just what can go wrong with an ear hook?

All I can think of is that during manufacturing the hook could have a crack in it. Letting sound escape? But I’m not sure phonak makes their own hooks. I have no idea

Spoke to my Audi about the hooks and he hasn’t heard anything about defective hooks. For whatever that’s worth

If he ordered you new aids and one of the aids came with a detective hook why didn’t he swap out the hook off the new aid that was good and put it on your aid that has the defective hook and see what happens. I assume you wear 2 aids. Or if Phonak has a defective hook problem how come we’re not seeing a lot of complaints on this forum. Not disputing what you are saying but the more time I have thinking about it the more these questions pop up in my head

There’s many more threads on this issue if you search for it.

Sounds like your Audi doesn’t deal with Phonak that often.

Are you certain it’s not turning on . Moisture and wax can block things in the tubing along with cotton filters in ear hooks. Call your audiologist to have them looked at. You don’t tell us what the suspected moisture problem was. Did you get rain on them , drop them in the toilet bowl…

I have removed the moisture filter in my earhooks as the moisture filter lower some gains. Moisture filter can get wet and not dried out. I have the Phonak hearing aid dryer. I do not wear aids when it’s raining and do not wear them on beach or on boat. If it is moisture issue, your audiologist can order moisture resistant tubing’s. After l removed the moisture filter from earhooks, l had to make programming adjustments in Target.

Sorry it’s not a moisture filter. As has been said it’s an acoustic filter. But it can become clogged. Don’t know how you remove it without damaging hook on bte aid. I probably would just switch out the hook

The reason you had to make adjustments is because it’s not a moisture filter. It a damper and it affects sound

In Target you have different selections for ear hooks with or without the damper.
Makes a different prescription for each.

Okay it’s an acoustic filter. I used music wire to get the filter out of the earhook with no damage. Yes the acoustic filter can get clogged with moisture build up.

Either way op claims they’re defective hooks even when he gets new ones. And I can’t seem to get that confirned

I never had defective earhooks. I also have a pair of Naida V90 SP aids and found that these earhooks are the same as the ones that came with the P70 UP aids.

Hi, I recently bought Phonak Naida Paradise P90-UP hearing aids and they are great. I have got a severe to profound hearing loss in both ears. The HAs worked flawlessy but after a month I noticed your symphtoms: drop in volume, bad speech clarity and also crackling sound on medium frequences. My audi check the aids and also removed the acoustic filter from the earhooks but it didn’t solve the problem. My HAs are really new just a month of life.

@user1125

Moisture issues spring to mind within the actual hearing aids.

I’ve used an electric drying box (Dry and Store) for years but my situation now, I’m staying between multiple places, I now use a Dry Caddy made by Dry and Store but it’s much more portable and can easily store my hearing aids when I’m not using them and bonus, they’ll dry them as well.

I also wear Phonak Naida P70 UP and I also have M70 SP as well. :slight_smile:

Hi, thank you very much for your answer. Moisture maybe the common problem but I’m always careful with my HAs, I let dry them every night in my drying kit. I always clean and not wearing them when i’m doing sport activities. They’re always making this strange crackling sound. They worked very well for the first 20 days. Something must be happened. It’s very annoying. And also yesterday my right HA started to make the notification sound when I turn it on, like it enters itself in some program. My bluetooth it’s always disconnected. Maybe the autosense os is acting weird and needs a reset?

@user1125

It could be some thing more to it but your audiologist can factory reset them individually and then loads your settings back on to see if that helps?

Will also be worth having a hearing test to see if it’s changed and explains the middle frequency issues.

Yes I will take an appointment with my audiologist, I will ask him if he can factory reset my HAs and reprogram with the first setting I did when I bought the HAs. Also I will ask him if it can replace the earhooks with the acustic filter ones as they removed them in the last session but it sounds really different.
Hope it solves the problem or I’m forced to take the HAs to the repair service as they are really new and under warranty.
Thank you again for your previous support.

1 Like

You may also try using hearing aids in a fixed program like a music program to see if there still is a variation. I mean music programs have fancy properties turned off.

1 Like